Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first post here.

I'm a college student and have vigorously been looking for a decent (and reliable) used car in the 4500-6500 dollar range for about a month. Frankly, the whole process is getting tiring, but I still want to be careful and not rush into a bad decision....which brings me here.

I stumbled accross this blue 2006 Accent GL for $5600. I test drove it and several other cars, and I have to say, I like it a lot. Great interior and exterior condition (I have yet to have a mechanic inspect it).

The area that worries me is the mileage. This car is 4 years old and already has 96,327 miles on it. One year is was not driven much, but that equates to over 20,000 miles per year for the other 3....which worries me.

This Accent is about 1k under my budget cap, so I could hold out and hope that something comes around with less mileage and more $...but since I know nothing about cars I'm not sure if this deal is good or not...and if it's too good to pass up, I really don't want to (plus I'd save a grand).

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks. Link:

http://www.elitecarsohio.com/vehicle...?VID=121302458

ETA: My main goal in buying a new car is reliability and longevity. I want a car that will last me through college (2 years) and well into my career.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thats not too bad for milage my fiancee just got rid of her 01 with 255000km (I think thats about 165k miles) and it was reliable right to the end when she had a transmission go out on it. We would had swapped it for a used unit would cost about $500 but the body was very rusted. The only thing with the car hovering around the 100k mile is timing belt needs to be done ASAP if its been done I think its a fine deal after a mechanic gives it a once over. Prhaps give it a few tune up thing like new spark plugs and a new air filter and a cabin filter.

But to compare I did get the fiancees new accent an 07 hatch with 95000km 57k miles for $6100 depending where your located $5400 might be a touch high. Remember used cars are negotiable in price. I negotiated $1000 of in a matter of 5 minutes I found a same year similar optioned car with similar milage about 60 miles away I printed the ad I said either match the price or I'll go buy this one... Easy done.

Good luck

·
1,565 Posts
That's a lot of miles. That doesn't mean it's a bad car. If you are looking for reliability and longevity you might want to look at something with less miles. This one may very well last 500K miles, but less miles generally means longer life. If you really want the car, have them go down in price, I'd shoot for under 5. JMTC

·
Registered
268 Posts
The only real issue is checking the timing belt, but from my experience these cars are very reliable past 100k miles. I am guessing if they were driving 20k miles a year it was on the highway, and the regular miles lends itself to the seals not getting dried out from sitting.

You can definitely get that price down, especially if you are in Ohio. New ones will run from 9500 at some dealerships (especially the 2010 models). Give them a low-ball offer, let us know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts