Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends,

I have a 2017 Elantra and have a Lexar 64 GB 3.0 Jump drive which I have stored a ton of songs and media files that I access as I drive around! There's a lot of memory, about 40GB utilized in music and aside from the minor annoyance that the car can only recognize a "block" of the memory when I shuffle, it works fine. It reads all of the music perfectly.

Just recently, I've noticed (also with my previous elantra) that the car just stops reading the USB stick and gives me the error message "There are no media files on this device" when the previous drive, I clearly was listening to it.

Any advice? The jumpdrive is totally working on desktops and other media readers. Nothing has changed. The car just seems to stop liking it :(

Thanks folks. Annoyed!!

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
493 Posts
I had issues with certain brands of USB sticks. They'd work on my computer but not in the car.

I finally settled on 32G SanDisk. I've used them in all my Hyundai vehicles with no problem. The one I'm currently using in my daily driver is 5 yrs old and I've added and removed tunes periodically.
I sort the music in folders by artist and/or genre. The system recognizes everything including the album art if included.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used a Lexar 64gb and Kingston gb. Just recognized now that my Lexar has stopped being read on my computer. Might be a malfunction but I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong! Do you stop the car and media player prior to removing the usb? or do you keep the drive in the slot after each and every run?

It's annoying to keep purchasing a new drive every 6 months lol.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have '14 sonata and had a 32GB Lexar USB 3.0 and it would run through the list of songs like they were a quarter second long and then freeze up the radio. Switched to a ScanDisk 32GB USB 2.0 and no issues. some have tried formatting the drive, and re-adding music into folders and helped. The Manual will say to not start up/shut down with USB inserted but I haven't removed mine for months except to add/remove music and have had no issues.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Also use the Sandisk cruise, but this is not the only problem, according to that media manual, can only half a maximum of 20 MP3's per folder. Sure had to break up my 100 favorite classical hits into five folders under one directory. If you even have 21 MP3's in a folder, can run into hangup's.

Never ran into this with any MP3 player, can even no folders, and over 2000 MP3's, will just play one after another, but not in this Hyundai player.

This was a job. Some software guy thinks 20 is enough.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Also use the Sandisk cruise, but this is not the only problem, according to that media manual, can only half a maximum of 20 MP3's per folder. Sure had to break up my 100 favorite classical hits into five folders under one directory. If you even have 21 MP3's in a folder, can run into hangup's.

Never ran into this with any MP3 player, can even no folders, and over 2000 MP3's, will just play one after another, but not in this Hyundai player.

This was a job. Some software guy thinks 20 is enough.
On my Sonata, I have over 300 per folder with no issue. But I do not have any that are not in ANY folder. Meaning on computer when you open the drive there are only folders visible and all Mp3s are in one of those folders.

Also drive is formatted to FAT32. In newer windows you may need a special application to format a drive to FAT32 if over 16 or 32 GB.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
On my Sonata, I have over 300 per folder with no issue. But I do not have any that are not in ANY folder. Meaning on computer when you open the drive there are only folders visible and all Mp3s are in one of those folders.

Also drive is formatted to FAT32. In newer windows you may need a special application to format a drive to FAT32 if over 16 or 32 GB.
My comment deals strictly with the Infinity sound system in my 2017 Limited, only vehicle or any other MP3 player never gave me this problem with the number of MP3's.

What the heck, why is it crashing, even dug out the Car Multimedia System manual, said that 20 MP3's is the limit per folder, shook my head when I read this. When through my entire directory and reduced all to 20, working okay now.

May or may not be the OP's problem, just thought I would throw this out as a possible problem.

I am using a Sandisk Cruzer Edge 32GB USB Flash Drive that only sticks out about3/8". Handy on the Limited since I moved that USB and audio input to the front of my console where it should have been put in the first place. Don't like cords laying on the floor or getting tangled up with my gear shift lever.

Using the same type of flash drive on my cigar lighter plug in MP3 player I found on ebay for 20 bucks. Also has a plug in for my GPS and gives hands free cell phone operation, but only for received calls. Plus an FM transmitter that covers the full FM band that I have to tune my radio to.

With this one, no directories or folders, can load a couple of thousand MP3's to the drive, but plays one after another. If I don't care to hear a sound, can hit a button to skip it.

But not nearly as nice as the Limited, have main directories, and even sub directories so can listen to any song I want to, but why only 20 songs per directory? Other vehicles I have owned with factory MP3, did not have this problem.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Going back to June 2016 with the problem, had several updates since then, should plug in that Sandisk from my Supra with no directories or folders in it to see how this works.

For all I know maybe the limit of the number of MP3's has been increased from 20 to 21 or even a bit more.

Do have some MP3's in my not so smart smart phone, can bluetooth connect this to the radio, have no idea how it selects the songs it picks.

Can also plug its headphone jack to the aux input, but the output signal voltage of these things is so low, do this because with headphone devices been lawsuits causing ear damage to people that like to blow their brains out. Can hear it, but barely. But then I have to hold the cell phone up to make my selection, if a cop sees this, will be a 50 buck fine.

Wife and kids can wear headphones, but the driver cannot, so talking to himself like on that crazy TV insurance commercial. Reason why he is talking to himself, I switch channels. But seems to be okay to install a 2,000 watt audio system in your car.

Ha, when I was flying my plane, first thing to do was to put the headphones on so I could talk to ground control to eliminate the noise from the engine, mic key was on the control wheel. But can't do this in a car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts