Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2016 Sonata GLS. I have a 4 GB Kingston USB thumb drive full of music that plays fine in the USB port. I just got a Lexar JumpDrive S47 64 GB drive to use but it won't work. When I put it in the drive it says the device is unreadable. At first I thought it was because of the number of files or folders so I removed everything except for a few albums. This time it started playing a minute or so of the first song, then stopped, and then gave an error. Both the Kingston and the Lexar are formatted as FAT32 with 32K cluster/allocation size. The only different I can see is the size of the drive itself - 4 GB vs 64 GB. I checked the Sonata manual and it doesn't mention anything about a drive size limitation though. So do I try ordering a 32 GB or 16 GB or 8 GB?

Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue and how to fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
The manual for my car says that some USB devices just don't work. If you've found one type that works, I'd say yes grab another one of the same type but bigger capacity. HOWEVER I would really just recommend copying the music to your phone and using Bluetooth. My manual literally says you should probably disconnect and reconnect the USB device each time you turn the car OFF/ON, and that starting the car with the drive connected could damage it.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited 2.4L w/Tech & Ult Pkg's
459 Posts
From manual
"• Only products formatted with
byte/sectors under 64Kbyte will be
recognized.
• This device recognizes USB devices
formatted in FAT 12/16/32 file formats.
This device does not recognize
files in NTFS file format
• When using mass storage USB
devices with separate logical drives,
only files saved to the root drive can
be played."
Can't find anything about max size for the USb drive.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Its true some usb drives just wont work. could be the firmware on the drives, some sort of value added software on the drives or something like that which will make it not work for you. Did you do a complete format of the drive before you loaded the music or just plug and load?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its true some usb drives just wont work. could be the firmware on the drives, some sort of value added software on the drives or something like that which will make it not work for you. Did you do a complete format of the drive before you loaded the music or just plug and load?
No. I did not format the drive. I'm not sure if formatting it would prevent me from returning it.

I preferred USB to Bluetooth for a few reasons:
  • Saves battery on my phone
  • The music doesn't get interrupted by notification sounds
  • USB shows album art (Bluetooth doesn't)
I purchased a 64 GB Lexar JumpDrive S47 and that didn't work either. Then I borrowed a 32 GB Lexar JumpDrive S50 and that worked with no issues. I could just use this drive, but it's longer and sticks out further. I was hoping to use the S47 because it's much lower profile.

I ran chkdsk on both drives and they are exactly the same. The only difference I can see in the specs is that the S50 is a USB 2.0 drive while the S47 is a USB 3.1 drive. However, the S47 is supposed to be backwards compatible with USB 3.0 and 2.0.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey, they could actually be the issue! The hardware/software on these head units isn't very modern (they're running Android 2.3, and only equipped with Bluetooth 3 for example), perhaps they don't have drivers to use USB 3/3.1 drives!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don’t think formatting it would prevent you returning it. If you want to make sure, you can copy the files that were on the flash drive to be able to put them back on in case. But I would try formatting it with the default allocation sector size, FAT32 and with a short name. That’s how I did mine and it worked.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t think formatting it would prevent you returning it. If you want to make sure, you can copy the files that were on the flash drive to be able to put them back on in case. But I would try formatting it with the default allocation sector size, FAT32 and with a short name. That’s how I did mine and it worked.
Yeah I'll try that. I also ordered a Sandisk 64GB Cruzer Fit which is USB 2.0. We'll see if one of these options works!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.