Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

So I noticed that some people just want to use the usb port in the usb/aux port just to charge their phones, but it just won't work...

The dashboard would say something like "reading usb" and the usb power would cycle on and off rapidly (Like this guy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3RWBkmix4w).

Well, after doing a lot of research... I finally figured out a way to tap into the power of the USB port without it turning on and off! You don't need to waste 25 or 30 dollars on getting that dumb ipod cable (CABLE Assembly-IPOD | Genuine Hyundai | 08620-2L000)

You don't need this:

You can use a standard USB cable! NOTE THOUGH, you won't be able to control your phone or usb device from the radio or anything like that - this is ONLY power. (you'll still need that dumb cable if you want to actually control your phone through steering wheel controls/etc.)

Here's how!

Cut a small stripe of plastic of hard paper. Bend it as shown in the picture...

Then take the paper and cover the 2 middle pins. These pins are used for data while the 1st and 4th pins are used for power. You only want the power.

(reference - http://javier.aldazabal.net/ipod_linux/index.htm)

You may need to tape the paper to the usb port or it will fall out when you plug it in. After that, plug it in and see if you get power! If it worked, you should see a steady charge light and it should not keep trying to connect and disconnect.

I wish I discovered this earlier - it would have saved me 30 bucks! Hope someone else finds this useful!

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,522 Posts
Or, you could simply plug your USB cord into the cigarette lighter/power port using an under $10 adapter plug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Or, you could simply plug your USB cord into the cigarette lighter/power port using an under $10 adapter plug.
The cigarette lighter / power port option doesn't work if it is already being used to charge your spouse's phone and the rear power port is being used by your child to watch his DVD player.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The cigarette lighter / power port option doesn't work if it is already being used to charge your spouse's phone and the rear power port is being used by your child to watch his DVD player.
Not if you buy a lightning car charger with a USB port (see attached).

Or get a car charger with 2 USB ports. I got an Anker one that is rated at 4.8A, meaning 2.4A per port. Good enough to rapid charge the iPhone or the iPad.

The OP's workaround is pretty sweet. Kudos for being smart. But I still prefer charging via the cigarette lighter port.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an elantra touring '12 with USB ports in the compartment...

It's much neater to have my phone charging inside there than to have something plugged into the power port and wires running all over the place. I just cleaned my car last week and modded a wire like I described and now I have so much less clutter in the car! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts