Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I leave my USB plugged all the time? Or do I have to keep plugging it in and taking in out when I start and stop the car?

·
Banned
630 Posts
I leave my ipod constantly plugged in...no issues

·
Registered
932 Posts
The manual says to take it out each time. But I didn't read that until after I had left mine plugged in for a few weeks. Worst case it will fry your drive. So far though, no problem after almost 3 months leaving it plugged in all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (midas69 @ Jun 2 2010, 08:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328772
The manual says to take it out each time. But I didn't read that until after I had left mine plugged in for a few weeks. Worst case it will fry your drive. So far though, no problem after almost 3 months leaving it plugged in all the time.
Thanks Midas. Yeah I saw the manual said to remove it each time. But the manual also tells me not to adjust my seat or steering wheel while I'm driving. So I didn't know if it was a "CYA" kind of thing.

Again thanks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I leave mine plugged in all the time as well and so far no issues. I think the concern would be some sort of surge could fry the drive if there ever were a surge on starting the engine.

·
Banned
630 Posts
you'd have better chances of being struck by lightning than having a surge blow your ipod out while it was connected to your radio

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 2 2010, 09:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328780
you'd have better chances of being struck by lightning than having a surge blow your ipod out while it was connected to your radio
I should buy lotto then. Heard being struck by lightning is better chance than winning lotto. My usb was fried. It was 32gb which is worth $100. I don't recommend leaving your usb plugged iln. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR USB PLUGGED IN unless you don't mind keep buying a usb every time when it's fried. But I didn't have any problem with ipod plugged in.

·
Registered
533 Posts
According to the internet, you have a 1 in 750,000 chance of being hit by lightning.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (andy.h @ Jun 2 2010, 01:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328861
I should buy lotto then. Heard being struck by lightning is better chance than winning lotto. My usb was fried. It was 32gb which is worth $100. I don't recommend leaving your usb plugged iln. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR USB PLUGGED IN unless you don't mind keep buying a usb every time when it's fried. But I didn't have any problem with ipod plugged in.
sounds like you got a ton of bad luck.....I'd suggest saving the dollar and skipping the lotto ticket

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 2 2010, 12:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328867
sounds like you got a ton of bad luck.....I'd suggest saving the dollar and skipping the lotto ticket

I can see it now, members leaving their USB stick in their cars and once it gets fried they will come here and complain about how their Sonata sucks and then try and make the dealer pay for it. It only takes one time for something like this to happen to me and I'll gladly take the 3 seconds it takes to extend my arm, remove the USB stick and store it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yeah it could happen as obviously stated here but I leave my USB in all the time also... The only problem I have had is twice it doesn't see the usb... so I unplug and plug it right back in and bingo it works fine...

Don't know if I would do that with an Ipod though, they cost a lot more to replace.......<<shrug>>

·
Registered
589 Posts
Maybe why the manual says to remove it is the outlet is powered all the time, which could potentially discharge the battery. Is that the case? I guess we can tell if it's powered by watching the light on the drive, no? My M3 stays on after shutting engine off, but after 5 minutes all power is cut off, so no biggie. Haven't had a problem in a year. Still haven't bought one for the Sonata since it has a CD changer. And will probably not put one since it's visible. On the M3 it's hidden inside the center console, on its own pouch.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Jun 2 2010, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328886
Maybe why the manual says to remove it is the outlet is powered all the time, which could potentially discharge the battery. Is that the case? I guess we can tell if it's powered by watching the light on the drive, no? My M3 stays on after shutting engine off, but after 5 minutes all power is cut off, so no biggie. Haven't had a problem in a year. Still haven't bought one for the Sonata since it has a CD changer. And will probably not put one since it's visible. On the M3 it's hidden inside the center console, on its own pouch.
if the outlet was constantly powered, maybe the argument would hold water...but since it's not constant, this is an exercise in futility.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 2 2010, 03:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328889
if the outlet was constantly powered, maybe the argument would hold water...but since it's not constant, this is an exercise in futility.
Good to know. Thanks man.

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (OMEGA_WEAPON @ Jun 2 2010, 01:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328872
I can see it now, members leaving their USB stick in their cars and once it gets fried they will come here and complain about how their Sonata sucks and then try and make the dealer pay for it. It only takes one time for something like this to happen to me and I'll gladly take the 3 seconds it takes to extend my arm, remove the USB stick and store it.
Who's complaining? We are just sharing our experiences so there's no more victims of frying their usbs.
I always tried to plug it in and out before starting and stopping my car. But there were few times I forgot to do that and there were some loss of files in usb. And one day boom!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts