Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....

Did a brief search that didn't yield anything obvious so I decided to make a new thread.

Have a 2010 GLS and have been using an 8 gig jump drive for my music. It works great because its small and out of sight when in use. Besides music I use it for audiobooks which generally have files of 50 to 60 minutes each. Most of the time, I can just leave the car and when I return it resumes right where it left off. Every once in a while it will croak and reset back to the first audio file on the drive. It's a bit of a PIA to have to find exactly where you left off in a big audio file. (assuming I noticed what track I was on when I left)

At first it was only happening on Monday mornings. I only do the audiobooks on weekdays so I figured it might reset if not used in 24 hours or something. Started playing a little bit daily and it helped. I've gotten in the habit of flipping to FM before leaving the car hoping it would help by not killing power abruptly with the key.

None of my little experiments have worked to make it keep its place in the file for more than a week or so. Is there a trick I haven't found yet or is this just a quirk to get used to?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The manual for my '09 states:

*If you start the vehicle when the USB device is connected, it may damage the USB device. (USB is not ESA)
*If the vehicle is started up or turned off while the external USB device is connected, the external USB device may not work.

Maybe it's different for the '10, but I've never kept my jump drive connected for fear of the above consequences. It is a PIA to pull it before turning off the car so I don't use it much.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (JoeKidd @ Sep 25 2010, 07:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358657
The manual for my '09 states:

*If you start the vehicle when the USB device is connected, it may damage the USB device. (USB is not ESA)
*If the vehicle is started up or turned off while the external USB device is connected, the external USB device may not work.

Maybe it's different for the '10, but I've never kept my jump drive connected for fear of the above consequences. It is a PIA to pull it before turning off the car so I don't use it much.
I remember reading this as well when I first got my MP3 player and after nearly a year of use, I think it is mostly a CYA for Hyundai. I typically listen to XM, but when I get bored of that I use my 4GB MP3 player. I've left it plugged in many times when I've stopped and started the engine and no damage has occured to the unit. Not that it couldn't happen, thus the reason for that statement in the manual. My player is worth less than $50 so I'm not that concerned if it does get fried one day.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also not to worried about the drive itself since they are relatively cheap and I have a backup. I actualy prefer it to my ipod because it is less valuable to me than my ipod to have it left in the car.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Still wondering how to keep it in the right spot in my book. Just this morning, I started the car and it immediately started the music from my usb stick from the beginning again. Frustrating because when I parked the car, I was listening to the FM.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (afob3 @ Sep 25 2010, 02:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358697
Also not to worried about the drive itself since they are relatively cheap and I have a backup. I actualy prefer it to my ipod because it is less valuable to me than my ipod to have it left in the car.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Still wondering how to keep it in the right spot in my book. Just this morning, I started the car and it immediately started the music from my usb stick from the beginning again. Frustrating because when I parked the car, I was listening to the FM.
Just curious....do you turn off the sound system before you turn off the engine?

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Sep 25 2010, 09:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358660
I remember reading this as well when I first got my MP3 player and after nearly a year of use, I think it is mostly a CYA for Hyundai. I typically listen to XM, but when I get bored of that I use my 4GB MP3 player. I've left it plugged in many times when I've stopped and started the engine and no damage has occured to the unit. Not that it couldn't happen, thus the reason for that statement in the manual. My player is worth less than $50 so I'm not that concerned if it does get fried one day.
I also use a 4GB USB drive and leave it plugged in. Occasionally the NAV/Display will lock-up upon starting the car and will remain fixed on the Hyundai logo; when this happens the USB won't play at all but I can switch stations and bands using the steering wheel controls. When I stop and restart the car normal function resumes.

I recommend you switch to a smaller USB drive; I remember something about 4GB being the max size and the 8GB size may be contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I used to have a 2009 Sonata and now have a 2011. I have very occasionally experienced this behavior on both cars. I have always left in the USB drive and have never experienced any damage to any drive at any time over the past few years of continuous use. Of course it always starts from the first song after you have modified the contents of the drive, either adding to it or deleting from it and then taking it back to the car. I have never tried using the USB for any large files like audio books, just music. I wonder if the size of the files could have something to do with it? One thought might be to take your audio book files and use an MP3 splitting program to split them into smaller chunks and just place them into folders for each book. Maybe it would remember your place better with a smaller file.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have some experience and some theories. I listen with a 4GB usb drive almost exclusively. It worked perfectly and always started wherever I'd left off under all conditions. Then I installed some HIDs. If I turn on the headlights when the usb player is on, it always resets to the first song. If I turn the car off (headlights on - usb playing), when I restart the car, the usb plays from where it stopped. Theory: the HIDs draw a lot of current when they're first turned on and the voltage drop in the circuit resets the usb player. The reason it doesn't reset when I start the car with usb and headlights on has to do with the starter switch cutting out certain circuits in the 'start' position. I have a HID headlight relay harness on order. This powers the HIDs directly from the battery and not from the car's fused system - I think this might resolve my problem.

Hopefully, I have confused everyone much more thoroughly than before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2009 Accent GS for my son. He really likes the factory sound system. However, we seem to have found a shortcoming. He would really like to have the USB input on the panel next to the Aux input. I assumed that since the radio has a connector for it and I see the iPod/USB input mentioned on lots of web sites that I should be able to order the parts from Hyundai, however, when I emailed them they say they don't have that. Does anyone know how I can get these parts to use the factory radio iPod/USB input?

Thanks,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Follow-up to my September 28 post - I just installed the relay harness for my aftermarket HIDs. Now that the power is coming more directly from the battery, the USB player never forgets where it left off and no longer reverts to track one of the usb when I turn on the lights - - SUCCESS!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP here...

Turning off the radio before turning off the car doesn't help. Also noticed that sometimes when I leave the radio on FM and leave and return. The next startup is occasionaly the usb stick playing from the beginning again.

I've posted in another forum and gotten a few other suggestions to try.

-Smaller drive as posted here.
-Different brand drive (I'm using sanDisk cruzers now since that is what I have at work.)
-Also laying out my files differently with less folders on the drive.

I'm kinda going through this methodically because I'm sure it is something weird and I hope to be able to duplicate it somehow.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like it was the drive itself. (knocking wood). I split my music and audiobook between two 2GB flash drives and haven't had an issue at all regardless of leaving it plugged in or on / off etc. Between this thread and some others, it looks like 4gb is the largest anybody has had luck with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got a 2010 GLS a week ago. I haven't had any problems with mine yet. I will keep checking and let you know if I have similar problems. The only problem I've had is my iPod not reading right when plugged in. All the files have funky four letter .mp3 names that in no way relate to the song. It will say something like "VEDZ.mp3"

PS. I'm using a 16gb drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts