Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a new thread for this because I just learned this, I was shopping around for the KDM LED fog lights, looking all over for the best deal as I was set on ordering a set.. Out of the dozens of websites I went to that listed them as fitting the i30/Elantra GT in reality they do not directly fit the USA GT, as for other countries I am not sure if this will apply to you of not.

You would have to remove a portion of your structural bumper to install these lights. I can see this causing serious issues with your insurance company if you were in a front end accident, maybe they could even deny your claim if you removed a structural portion of the car and caused additional damage. Just a thought... Since learning this I have decided against this modification.

I just wanted to pass it on in case others were interested in ordering these.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't see why it would need to be trimmed... looking at where the K/EUDM market lights go in the holes, doesn't come all that close to where the bumper is. still going to buy and install them, this doesn't phase me.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damnit you made me rethink think this... I am just going to buy these and I will figure it out later haha!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Why would they have 2 different bumpers for the GL and GLS. As the GLS has the fog lights. Unless the LED Ver are thicker then the normal fog lights.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it has to do with the required impact zones on the USA models, the steel impact bumper may be wider in comparison to other countries..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sure other countries. But you still have the same 2 models. So why would one model have a different size bumper then the next model up. As this would require 2 different parts and as you know they Hyundai does not like to make unnecessary parts unless they have too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't believe the reference was between trim levels, but is between cars from different markets. Yes US and EU have different crash standards, however I've never seen a car where the bumper (not the plastic cover we call bumpers) interfere with lighting. The design of the USDM fogs has more to do with our cars not including the LEDs and not the bumper length. I guarantee that no cutting is needed and the guy in the picture is a ****.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cutting is needed, I have run to the same issue late last year.
I can sell kdm fog lights to anyone who wants them cheap. I have gotten the proper north America ones. All is good but the EU or kdm ones are better due to bigger reflector surface.

Cheers.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shoot! I just ordered them off eBay yesterday! I will get over the cutting I guess, but I am always looking for a deal...

·
Registered
918 Posts
The Santa Fe guys have cut their bumpers for the KDM fogs to be installed. Optima folks have long since cut part of their bumper to add the (then non-existant) LED DRL by the fog lights. No problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
One reason why I would never buy a modded car.
And people wonder why their "upgraded" cars have diminished resale value ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts