Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Hybrid owners!

I own a 2013 Sonata 2.0T Limited. The car is too nice to have regular tail lamps. I am looking to upgrade to LED, but I want to go factory tail lamps. Either from the 2013 "he Brilliant" sonata which is the Korean top of the line model, but it requires splicing, swapping pins and all that.

I think I am more incline to go with the Hybrid tail lamps because the US Sonata Hybrid might have the same Pin Connectors as the Regular US Sonata. I've looked everywhere for a picture of the Hybrid tail lamp connectors so I could compare to my car wiring, but no luck.

------->Today I disconnected the trunk light and I discovered that the pin connector from the wiring harness from factory has the 3 live pin connectors and the truck tail lamp assembly is only has 2 pins. I tested the connector which the lamp is not using and while the car has the headlights on, it draws 13.9V, if I turn off the head lights, the power on that side of the connector goes off too.

Here are some pictures of my actual car tail light harness/assembly.

Can anyone confirmed me if your Sonata Hybrid possesses the same wiring harness as the regular sonata.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Vinny!

thanks a lot for your quick response and this valuable pictures! looks like the Hybrid tail lights wont plug and play with my factory harness after all :(...

your plug harness has two rows of pin connectors, mine is a single row.

Now I wonder why my harness has a live connection not used by the tail light assembly it self(trunk tail lamp).

Was you car built in the US? mine was built in the Alabama plant.

I think I heard somewhere that all Sonata Hybrids were built in Korea, but I wasn't sure if it was true. if it is built in US, looks like they are building it like the Korean models.

your connector looks exactly like all KDM tail lights connectors...

Again ... THANK YOU!!!! have a great one sir!:)

PS: I read that post, but since it was from 2011, I thought some might of change now in 2013.

·
Registered
802 Posts
boricuaspr, you are correct that all hybrids are built in Korea. And many of the wiring harnesses in the hybrid models are the KDM harnesses, also. Hybrids even have different headlight bulbs, for no real purpose which I can determine! On the plus side for us, it would make swapping to KDM taillights or power-fold mirrors faster than doing the similar swap on a US-built Sonata!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Vinny!

thanks a lot for your quick response and this valuable pictures! looks like the Hybrid tail lights wont plug and play with my factory harness after all :(...

your plug harness has two rows of pin connectors, mine is a single row.

Now I wonder why my harness has a live connection not used by the tail light assembly it self(trunk tail lamp).

Was you car built in the US? mine was built in the Alabama plant.

I think I heard somewhere that all Sonata Hybrids were built in Korea, but I wasn't sure if it was true. if it is built in US, looks like they are building it like the Korean models.

your connector looks exactly like all KDM tail lights connectors...

Again ... THANK YOU!!!! have a great one sir!:)

PS: I read that post, but since it was from 2011, I thought some might of change now in 2013.
You're welcome and I am glad it helped you out. That's what we do here. LOL. Too bad it won't be a plug and play installation for you, but I am sure you can get it to work.
Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
boricuaspr, you are correct that all hybrids are built in Korea. And many of the wiring harnesses in the hybrid models are the KDM harnesses, also. Hybrids even have different headlight bulbs, for no real purpose which I can determine! On the plus side for us, it would make swapping to KDM taillights or power-fold mirrors faster than doing the similar swap on a US-built Sonata!
Yeah! It sucks for us with regular sonatas, and now I hear that 2014 Sonata will include LED tail lighting, LED fog lights, front grill and redesigned headlamp... Looks to me that they are bringing the 2013 Sonata "the brilliant" to US as 2014 model.

·
Registered
802 Posts
exLed is a Korean company, so they are familiar with the KDM versions of the Sonata. Thus, they would consider this tail-light plug-and-play. My guess is that they don't realize/don't care that they US-manufactured Sonatas have different wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exLed is a Korean company, so they are familiar with the KDM versions of the Sonata. Thus, they would consider this tail-light plug-and-play. My guess is that they don't realize/don't care that they US-manufactured Sonatas have different wiring harnesses.
Yup! I shoot them an email regarding this same matter and havent responded yet! So indeed most likely they dont realize or dont care that US built Sonata is different. Too bad! Thanks again for your response!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts