Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2013 SE with the 18 inch rims in the fall and recently realized that they are horrible for snow. I'm looking to find an all-season replacement for my two front tires, and leave the back tires alone. I'm not looking for an actual snow tire for the front, just an all-season tire that is much, much better in the snow. Since I live in PGH, we get a decent amount of snow. Any recommendations for an 18inch all-season tire that's good in the winter? Any help is appreciated. I'm hoping to research and buy some today. Thanks!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I bought a 2013 SE with the 18 inch rims in the fall and recently realized that they are horrible for snow. I'm looking to find an all-season replacement for my two front tires, and leave the back tires alone. I'm not looking for an actual snow tire for the front, just an all-season tire that is much, much better in the snow. Since I live in PGH, we get a decent amount of snow. Any recommendations for an 18inch all-season tire that's good in the winter? Any help is appreciated. I'm hoping to research and buy some today. Thanks!
Continental Extreme Contact DWS. But I would recommend doing all four. Go to tire rack's web site and watch the video about just changing the fronts, I had that scenario happen to me.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Don't mix and match. Replace all four with snows. Do not just put two snows on the front.

We put DWS on the wifes Sonata in November and she has not had a single complaint about traction this year. We have already exceeded our average snow totals and its still January.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other tire recommendations? It really sucks to buy a car and then 6 months later have to drop tons of $$$ on new tires. Bummed I can't just go with the front two tires. This is definitely an unexpected cost.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Any other tire recommendations? It really sucks to buy a car and then 6 months later have to drop tons of $$$ on new tires. Bummed I can't just go with the front two tires. This is definitely an unexpected cost.
Very infrequently are you going to find cheap tire = great traction.

Look into 6 months same as cash type deals at tire places. Most of them do that. And if you don't have many miles maybe a tire dealer will throw a few bucks for your old tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are your DWS All-season tires? So she still uses them in the summer? And they ride fairly smooth? I feel that the Hankook's drive pretty smooth, and am trying to find that balance between good snow tires, and also fast comfy ride in the summer. Tough balance, I know.

·
22,793 Posts
With 3,000 miles underneath, the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus is doing fantastic. Much quieter and softer riding vs. those junky ContiPro's that came on the car. Great traction (we only get a few cumulative weeks of snow/ice over the course of winter), and grip/handling is noticeably better, especially on wet surfaces. Mileage rating is 75,000. A bit expensive, unless you can find them on sale with a manufacturer's rebate program. Treadwear/Traction/Heat ratings are 600 A A on the 215/50R/17's.

Would I do it all over again now that I've owned them for a bit? Absolutely. Also, check out the Pirelli P7's. And the General's have one out there that is getting good reviews. Michelin Defenders (95,000 mile) are a bit pricey but great, and weren't available for my Limited in the size I wanted.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just put new style General Altimax RT-43 tires on my Sportage. I've read many good reviews, and they are now rated #1 at the tire rack in the surveys, & their category. They are also very reasonable compared to other comparable all-weather tires. So far, they are smoother, & quieter, then my previous Cooper CS-4 touring tires, and that's impressive! I will follow up to let all know how they perform.

Standard Touring All Seasons:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Are your DWS All-season tires? So she still uses them in the summer? And they ride fairly smooth? I feel that the Hankook's drive pretty smooth, and am trying to find that balance between good snow tires, and also fast comfy ride in the summer. Tough balance, I know.
Yes, all season tires. We got them November 13 so no real summer driving done on them on this car. My brother has them on his Mazda3 and they seemed fine to me.

As for a "fast" comfy ride; mine is a limited so its soggy to begin with...lol! Fine in a straight line but no way I am going to take it to a track... :D

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Don't mix and match. Replace all four with snows. Do not just put two snows on the front.
this can't be stressed enough. mixing tires like that causes a mismatch traction and therefore braking power between front and rear. result is when you hit the brakes the fronts may do fine, but now the rear end can't stop and that energy has to go somewhere....may just put you in a ditch or worse

·
Registered
129 Posts
Chalk up another vote for the Continentals. I got mine at Christmas time, and am THRILLED I switched. Of all the times I've ever spent ~ $600.00 in my life, this is the purchase with which I am most pleased.

Also, I agree about not mixing tires. I used to do it when money was tighter, and I understand why you might want to. But I am convinced that at least one of the problems I caused by doing this is needing to replace pairs of tires sooner than I would have otherwise. As an example, if I would have normally gotten 60,000 miles from a set of 4 new tires, I believe I was replacing all four in closer to 45,000 - 50,000 miles, two at a time. In my VERY humble opinion, I believe I spent more money two tires at a time than had I bought four.

Good luck to you. I live east of Cleveland, Ohio, and I know our weather has been bad, so yours is probably not too good either.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm going to throw you a hanging curve ball, Nitto Motivo. Nitto Motivo tires - Reviews, ratings and specs in the Minneapolis Area - Discount Tire

Only $125 plus installed at Discount Tire. They rate really well, very quiet sporty ride, good winter and summer traction. Lastly 60,000 warranty!

Like the other posters, I do not suggest replacing 2 tires. The Hankook Optimo H431 suck in the cold and snow, the Motivos will change everything about your Sonata SE.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got Continental PureContact Eco Plus. They are also from the DWS family. They are a little more comfort and quiet vs. performance from ExtremeContact DWS.

Differencebetween OEM Kuhos and Contie's is worth at least twice the money I paid for

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got Continental PureContact Eco Plus. They are also from the DWS family. They are a little more comfort and quiet vs. performance from ExtremeContact DWS.

Differencebetween OEM Kuhos and Contie's is worth at least twice the money I paid for

I just put these same ones on 2 weeks ago. Night and day difference in the snow compared to OEM Hankooks, not to mention all the other positives. I would highly recommend the Conti PureContacts, worth every penny.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had my Conti PureContacts since November. Love 'em in every respect. Had OEM Kuhmos with plenty of tread left at 30K. Too much road noise on the Kuhmos.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Agreed . I did the same switch (which pained me to no end) at 5000 miles on my new-to-me 2012 Sonata. The dealership admitted that the Hankook Optimo 431 were perhaps not a good tire choice for our region. The Connti's were rated 2nd best by Tire Rack and I switched.

What a difference - I could tell immediately that these were better tires. At $800 for the 4 wheels - not cheap - but worth it as I live in Wisconsin and we get snow...(Imagine that) ...

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
What a difference - I could tell immediately that these were better tires. At $800 for the 4 wheels - not cheap - but worth it as I live in Wisconsin and we get snow...(Imagine that) ...
Yeah. And as a fellow Wisconsinite, I think I speak for both of us when I say we are getting sick and tired of it already!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Well I'm cheating bc I am taking a cruise in March.

A whole 2 weeks without touching my Red Sled...I may go insane.

BTW I saw some grass yesterday while snow blowing!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts