Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have Santa fe 2009, I was in a 5 days trip, now I'm back home and it seems like that the car's light was on so the battery is goes dead, now I can not open the car
s door neither by remote nor by the key! why I can not open the car door with key?
What should I do now ?
Any help is appreciated in advanced.

·
22,788 Posts
Car outside? Door frozen to the body? If in the garage, the key should work! Let us know what it was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car outside? Door frozen to the body? If in the garage, the key should work! Let us know what it was.
It's in the garage, I shouldn't be frozen, but actually I have never opened the car by key, the key is not even turning in it's place, are you sure opening the car using key is no needed any battery power ?
Thanks.

·
22,788 Posts
Key will not turn clockwise? Counter-clockwise? At all? Strange. Reinsert it and use a little more turning force, but not enough to break the key head off. Have any lock deicer in the garage?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Key will not turn clockwise? Counter-clockwise? At all? Strange. Reinsert it and use a little more turning force, but not enough to break the key head off. Have any lock deicer in the garage?
neither clockwise not counter-clockwise ! :(
I can barrow lock deice, what should I do with it ?
Thank you for giving quick help

·
Banned
532 Posts
Heat your door key with a lighter as hot as you can handle then try opening the door lock w/ it. It's only temporary, if it works so you'd best get some Graphite powder & like Rich said a deicer in there.

Good Luck.

·
22,788 Posts
If you don't have a lighter, get a hairdryer. Blow hot air onto it. Deicer usually has a spray nozzle with a small tube for inserting into the lock mechanism where the key sticks in. A couple of "quick" squirts should do it. Give it a minute or so to work. The graphite, as jdgorsky stated, is a good pre-emptive strike from this recurring. Have to go to work. Post your success so we can check in on your status!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you don't have a lighter, get a hairdryer. Blow hot air onto it. Deicer usually has a spray nozzle with a small tube for inserting into the lock mechanism where the key sticks in. A couple of "quick" squirts should do it. Give it a minute or so to work. The graphite, as jdgorsky stated, is a good pre-emptive strike from this recurring. Have to go to work. Post your success so we can check in on your status!
thanks for you all, but none of the solution works.
Any way, do you think that a mechanic can open the door without the key or we can charge the battery without opening the hood?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
thanks for you all, but none of the solution works.
Any way, do you think that a mechanic can open the door without the key or we can charge the battery without opening the hood?
You've tried opening the passenger door and rear hatch?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a 2007 and have only the keylock on the drivers door.....so the 2003 has key locks on both sides as well as the hatch. Have you tried another key or the valet key. I havent tried this in awhile but could you use a coat hanger to pull the door handle on the inside, I just tried mine and with all the doors locked and pulled the drivers door handle it opened the door. Does the 2003 have a hood latch on the outside or only open from the inside?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2007 and have only the keylock on the drivers door.....so the 2003 has key locks on both sides as well as the hatch. Have you tried another key or the valet key. I havent tried this in awhile but could you use a coat hanger to pull the door handle on the inside, I just tried mine and with all the doors locked and pulled the drivers door handle it opened the door. Does the 2003 have a hood latch on the outside or only open from the inside?
Hi,
Please can you describe more about how did you open the door using coat hanger from outside ?

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
You probably can't use the coat hanger on a 2009.

Can you jack the car up to get to the starter terminals? Maybe you can get a battery charger on it that way.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If your desperate soak it with wd40 or PB blaster (push red straw in and spray abondantly)inset the key and wiggle up and down as you try to turn. These days locks get all seized up because they don't get used and dirt that accumulates affects the movement of the wafers.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Modern convieniences... got you now.

Flood the cylinder with PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench, leave it sit to soak.... after while,, insert key, and tap key lightly while trying to rotate cylinder to break it free.. dont try to do it all at once, you'll have to spend likely a fair amount of time with it to get it to rotate again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure how your key barrel works, but my daughter's convertible had a seized barrel that was due to the manufacturing grease drying out inside the barrel. As the key was inserted the barrel pins were pushed out of place inside their channels and were too sticky to return to engage the correct surfaces of the key. Lots of WD40 squirted inside with the small applicator tube while raking a stiff thin wire with a small right-angle turn on the end over the barrel pins on both sides created enough movement to free the pins in their channels and dislodge the dried material.

Paper clip wire or something stiffer will do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts