Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to remove the upper oil pan on my 08 Santa Fe 2.7 liter. Got it all unbolted and separated from engine block. Pan is now sitting under the engine, hanging a few inches below it's mounting surface to block. I expected that removal at this point should be easy, once I dropped exhaust crossover pipe down. But the oil pan will not drop down free of the engine, because something at the flywheel end is "stopping" the pan. I have tried everything I could think of to get this thing out of there, but it is looking like the rear of the pan flange is "trapped" between flywheel and (main cap ?) something inside crank case. I want to avoid excessive force, of course, because that would just damage the cast aluminum pan and defeat my purpose.
My question is for anyone who has removed the upper oil pan on an 08 or similar Santa Fe 2.7. Did you encounter a problem like I am having, and if so, what is the solution ? I am starting to wonder whether I might have to separate the bell housing from the block (at least part way) to create space for the pan to drop down clear of the flywheel. I sure hate that idea because it might open up another problem for me with the torque converter seal or something like that.. I hope some of you who have done this particular job can shed some light on this for me ? Thanks much guys..

· Banned
6,993 Posts
A link to "Sorry - no matches". Very helpful :laugh:
Just figured something out about the search function. I looked at the URL of the query and didn't see the sub forum in the address so I opened a new browser window and pasted it in and it came up with the correct query. It must have got it from my cache.
Makes sense that the database cannot be queried from outside the form.
Upwards and onwards....Oh well.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
upper oil pan R&R question

Usually you don't need to touch the exhaust, just remove the passenger side motor mount bracket bolts, jack up the engine a little bit so you have enough room to remove the pan
Not sure whether all the Santa Fe 2.7 engines close to my (08) model year are identical design/layout, but on my vehicle, dropping the upper oil pan is literally impossible without disconnecting/lowering exhaust crossover.
That having been said, I do thank you for your advice, Camper. Am still hoping for some input here from some one who has actually done this upper oil pan job on an 08 Santa Fe. It is looking like a monster inconvenience awaits me, at this point..

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
upper oil pan R&R question

Thanks for trying, anyhow, GRC.
Well, since I started this thread, I've looked into the situation as much as I could by doing online searches, and found zero detailed references about removing upper oil pan on my application. After that, I spoke with the service dept. at one Hyundai/Kia dealer. They said yes, they have done this job, and, yes, engine block must be separated from bell housing to drop upper pan.
They said that once (bell housing to block) bolts are backed out, (without removing them) just enough to allow a "gap" to be created, that is the method they have used in the past. Thankfully, no need to remove engine from vehicle.
Looks to me like I will need to use a cherry picker hoist to support the engine, though. Once the engine's weight is supported by the hoist, front engine mount unbolted, and bell housing bolts are backed out most of the way, a bit of careful prying should open up the gap I need. That should allow my pan to drop down free of the block.
Now that I have (upper pan to block) broke loose, I will have to see it through on dropping the pan completely out, otherwise I don't see no way to prep the surfaces where the new (RTV) sealant will go in.
I still am hoping some one else on here (who has done this job) will finally notice this thread and perhaps they would have some helpful input for me. But meanwhile, I guess I'll get out there and start in on it.
I wish I had not sold my cherry picker (LOL) guess I will have to borrow one..
Will keep you guys posted, and thanks for your input

· Banned
6,993 Posts
Thanks for trying, anyhow, GRC.
Well, since I started this thread, I've looked into the situation as much as I could by doing online searches, and found zero detailed references about removing upper oil pan on my application. After that, I spoke with the service dept. at one Hyundai/Kia dealer. They said yes, they have done this job, and, yes, engine block must be separated from bell housing to drop upper pan.
They said that once (bell housing to block) bolts are backed out, (without removing them) just enough to allow a "gap" to be created, that is the method they have used in the past. Thankfully, no need to remove engine from vehicle.
Looks to me like I will need to use a cherry picker hoist to support the engine, though. Once the engine's weight is supported by the hoist, front engine mount unbolted, and bell housing bolts are backed out most of the way, a bit of careful prying should open up the gap I need. That should allow my pan to drop down free of the block.
Now that I have (upper pan to block) broke loose, I will have to see it through on dropping the pan completely out, otherwise I don't see no way to prep the surfaces where the new (RTV) sealant will go in.
I still am hoping some one else on here (who has done this job) will finally notice this thread and perhaps they would have some helpful input for me. But meanwhile, I guess I'll get out there and start in on it.
I wish I had not sold my cherry picker (LOL) guess I will have to borrow one..
Will keep you guys posted, and thanks for your input
You should only need to back the tranny bolts out a turn or two at most. Don't need much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.