Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Elantra GLS. After reading info on the forums it sounds like my crunching/clunking noise when I go over bumps would most likely be the upper control arm. I've looked online at RockAuto and Partsgeek and they only have "lower control arms". Is this the only control arm? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a 2001 Elantra GLS. After reading info on the forums it sounds like my crunching/clunking noise when I go over bumps would most likely be the upper control arm. I've looked online at RockAuto and Partsgeek and they only have "lower control arms". Is this the only control arm? Thanks in advance.
Its a McPherson strut; there is no upper control arm. The crunching noise might be a CV Joint/ axle assembly. Are the boots intact. or is there grease everywhere?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a McPherson strut; there is no upper control arm. The crunching noise might be a CV Joint/ axle assembly. Are the boots intact. or is there grease everywhere?
Thanks for the info. I've already replaced the axles. What could happen if I don't replace the control arm? Wheel fall off etc.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Zero for your info I am 65 yrs old walking with a walker and can't bend down let alone get under the car. Not an option MAN!
Ease up a little. There is nothing that indicates your age or health, and many of the people on here are just kids---and kids tend to think that everyone is like them. They physical condition ( generally) is such that they don't even think about it-----or anyone else's either. I am sure he meant no disrespect.

As far as what might happen, I'd get to a trusty mechanic as quickly as I could and let someone tell me what's up. Now, the tricky part in that is finding a trusty mechanic. I generally advise people to use local, small businesses that have survived on the basis of their reputation. Large franchise shops have to pay for that national name and ad campaign--and that tends to make them over-repair to help the cash flow. The national ad campaigns bring in enough new prospects to more than compensate for the loss of the ones they lose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts