Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody replaced either or both sides for upper and lower control arms? I just got a quote and they said mine are rusted bad and therefor can't do a rear alignment.. $1400 in total to fix that would be parts and labour($440 for parts/$800 for labour), and so to me it seems strange why would the rear be so rusty and the fronts are fine? or are they just bullshittin me and are they easy or hard to change?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi
I have replaced my upper, on right rear..

There's an eccentric washer on the inboard end to make alignment adjustments, and of course a big bolt that is more then likely rusted in and won't be useable when you get it out.

There's a ball joint connection on the wheel end and I had to use acetylene and a puller to remove that one..

Once you get all the rust away, then you'll be good to go..

If your ordering parts, make sure you get anything that will be destroyed during the removal process...

If I was you I'd get a second viewpoint from someone who is an "old school Mechanic", as from the sounds of things you've got a dealer that may tell lies as well..

The mechanic knows without looking that this is likely all rusted together where the bolt goes thru the steel sleeve in the end of the arm.

Good Luck "" as I shake my head about these vehicles""
whacker

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks wacker. I took your advice and asked a friend which is a GM mechanic. and he said not to worry about it.. the alignment for the rear is only out a little bit nothing major about it and just rotate mor often thats all. so for now I am gonna leave it and perhaps I might get a another opinion from another dealership aswell and see what they say. they have tried heating it up and still didn't work and I know heat usually unsiezes the nuts and bolts and in this case the nut, pentrating fluid perhaps? I dunno. but your right there I think too since I had a $260 for other things in there mind why not keep goin. so for now I guess I am not gonna bother as my santa fe is a 2006 with 198,000 kms on it.. I also shake my head to just as much as you do. them santa fe are money grabbers or wallet emptiers whatever you want to call it lol, and when warrenty is gone then the spending begins. I havent had a whole lot of good happen with this one, swear its a lemon or half one at least. had my alternator go and it frigged my battery, then brake light switch, muffler and countless blower switches.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes,k and to show how the Dealerships are run, this one in particular, I ask yesterday about a tierod end...

Price was 62 $, and they don't have it...

I said 62$, why is the other dealership 300KM away only wanting 47$.
Oh he said I can match that...

The reality is, just look around the next time your in a Dealership, who's really making money for the Dealership while they are there...

So, when I guy like you or I come along well, lets get the most we can...

I swear these Hyundais are cheap to buy, and you pay for it later in Parts...

Bad experience, I won't be on this "Hyundai Trail" again after mine is gone..

LOL

whacker

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I agree whacker.. the wallet never squeeks when being opend so much. more less it will wear out faster opening it up so much lol. thats for sure cheap to buy expensive to fix and or maintain. think I am going domestic next time. rather pay more up front then later on. never hurts to get a second opinion, and thats wild with your tierod problem. I am sure the people that rip us off get a promotion and or a raise.. and the honest ones get the boot.

·
Read Only
235 Posts
If your rear suspension is rusted, the front is going to be bad too. On the back, the bolts will be difficult if not impossible for the average DIY to do. Maybe not. Check the rear brake backing plates too. If they are rusted the parking brake will fall apart while driving, and give you an unpleasant surprise. If they are going to be replaced, the wheel bearing is in between there. You will need new wheel bearings, you can't use them over, it's a one time deal. You will need a press for this. The shocks will likely have to be sacrificed as well, they will be rusted tight too. Be sure to buy ALL of the attaching bolts, they will be almost all of them be destroyed or rusted.
If the front is rusted, again all the bolts, at the same time install new sway bar bushings, and both lower power steering lines. They love to rust out where they are clamped to the frame.
I will never buy another Hyundai either, I have exceeded my new purchase price a long time ago, but what to buy, everything out there is cheaply made junk today. Cars are now judged by how many cell phone plugs, cupholders, heated steering wheels, but not how good a car it really is. Repairs are out of this world because of the complexity. Dealers are out to get all they can, they have bills to pay too. I will lease nearly anything I guess, but I am done buying. Am I really unhappy with the Hyundai? Not really, it is nearly 12 years old. It's just too wimpy for me. My wife loves it. (nuff said) And I have owned many worse cars. I just miss the old days when repairs were affordable, and comparitively easy to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts