Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering what it would take to upgrade the stock brakes to better disk brakes. I have a 2010 Accent Blue. I would like to know all the parts I would need.

Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here are the parts I used on my 2001 GSI. I haven't measured anything on the 2007 yet but I believe it will all work. I'm going to have my wheels off this weekend to put on snow tires I'll know for sure after then.

91 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Rotors
2002 Hyundai XG350 Calipers/brackets/brake pads

The rotors need to be sent to a machine shop and have their bolt pattern redrilled to 4x100 Then install everything then your left with 10.8" rotors and dual piston calipers up front you'll need minimum 15" Rims to clear these calipers. I use this setup daily on my 2001 the brake pedal is much lower than stock due the increased capacity of the front calipers.

Now if you want really really big this is a setup I haven't run but is possible.

2005 Hyundai XG350 Calipers/brackets/brake pads/rotors

Again the disks will need to be redrilled to 4x100 These are 11.9" Rotors with 2 piston calipers You'll need at least 16" more than likely 17" rims to clear this setup.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (berserko @ Nov 2 2010, 07:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368234
Here are the parts I used on my 2001 GSI. I haven't measured anything on the 2007 yet but I believe it will all work. I'm going to have my wheels off this weekend to put on snow tires I'll know for sure after then.

91 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Rotors
2002 Hyundai XG350 Calipers/brackets/brake pads

The rotors need to be sent to a machine shop and have their bolt pattern redrilled to 4x100 Then install everything then your left with 10.8" rotors and dual piston calipers up front you'll need minimum 15" Rims to clear these calipers. I use this setup daily on my 2001 the brake pedal is much lower than stock due the increased capacity of the front calipers.

Now if you want really really big this is a setup I haven't run but is possible.

2005 Hyundai XG350 Calipers/brackets/brake pads/rotors

Again the disks will need to be redrilled to 4x100 These are 11.9" Rotors with 2 piston calipers You'll need at least 16" more than likely 17" rims to clear this setup.

Hope this helps...
Thanks. I don't want to go too crazy with size. I just want to put better disks up front and convert the rear from drum to disk. Would that last part be difficult? T

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (omg grip @ Nov 2 2010, 10:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368275
The early 3rd gen accent's had rear disc brakes standard.

You could swap, but its very likely you will hardly notice any difference in braking.

Honestly if you can get your tires to lock up, you dont need better brakes, you need better tires.
QFT!! Bigger brakes on a small car will only help reduce heat soak because they vent heat better. Good, wider tires will greatly improve braking as well as cornering and acceleration. If you're still using the OEM 175 wide tires, you should look for wider wheels and tires first.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've seen better pads make a good deal of difference in pedal feel, but you're probably stuck without many options for shoes. Maybe Porterfield has some, but I haven't checked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys I really just hate drum brakes and the way they look on our car. I have a Blue so no ABS for me! :banana:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (mjolnir28 @ Nov 2 2010, 03:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368399
Thanks guys I really just hate drum brakes and the way they look on our car. I have a Blue so no ABS for me! :banana:
Except for looks, there's really no reason to upgrade to discs. The rear brakes on a light, FWD car do 5-10% of the work, most of it to prevent the rear from coming around. Plus the drums/shoes should last 100-150k miles before you need to replace them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (LePapirrikY @ Nov 2 2010, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368544
it looks better rear disc :) as far as improvements, i didnt feel any.
How much did the conversion cost? I've been looking into how much other people have payed for similar conversions. One forum for Civic owners got a conversion for $270, but I don't think it had any of the ABS parts and I'm supposing that it was a lot easier to source, given the number of civic that have been produced compared with the 06-07 Hyundais.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (mjolnir28 @ Nov 1 2010, 11:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368190
Hey guys I was wondering what it would take to upgrade the stock brakes to better disk brakes. I have a 2010 Accent Blue. I would like to know all the parts I would need.

Thanks
why do you want to upgrade the brakes?
I ask that because, an earlier post made the same point, you would be better off spending your money on wider wheels and stickier tires before upgrading your brakes.
If you can lock up your tires at 60mph (or have abs kick in) then you should spend your money else where.

If your goal is performance, then wheels and tires should always be your first mod.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (fonque @ Jan 2 2011, 10:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=385727
why do you want to upgrade the brakes?
I ask that because, an earlier post made the same point, you would be better off spending your money on wider wheels and stickier tires before upgrading your brakes.
If you can lock up your tires at 60mph (or have abs kick in) then you should spend your money else where.

If your goal is performance, then wheels and tires should always be your first mod.
For me, I want to be able to use performance brake pads on all four wheels...eventually. I also want to be able to teach myself Left-Foot Braking technique (not too confident doing that with drums too often or in a succession of turns). Right now, I'm more concerned about a new exhaust system and maybe better tires and an upgraded clutch, but it would be nice to have the master cylinders, brackets, etc. for when I decide to track my car on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (AccentSE_44 @ Jan 3 2011, 09:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=386352
For me, I want to be able to use performance brake pads on all four wheels...eventually. I also want to be able to teach myself Left-Foot Braking technique (not too confident doing that with drums too often or in a succession of turns). Right now, I'm more concerned about a new exhaust system and maybe better tires and an upgraded clutch, but it would be nice to have the master cylinders, brackets, etc. for when I decide to track my car on a regular basis.
Apparently these guys have SPACE AGE performance drum brakes. http://www.praisedynobrake.com/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts