Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my wife and I just purchased a 2018 Santa Fe XL Premium and we LOVE it so far!

The only thing I wished we would have considered more at the time was getting a model with the in-dash navigation system. The PREMIUM doesn't have that feature nor does it support CarPlay. My system only has the rear-backup camera feature.

My question is: Is there a way to upgrade/replace the in-dash radio with a model with the NAV system and CarPlay features? Is it possible to buy this from Hyundai or another retailer online? I know there are some 3rd party systems out there that I've seen on eBay... but I'd like to stick with a Hyundai model if at all possible. ;)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cylac...my wife and I went through the same questions with our 2015 Santa Fe and Tuscon. Tried to stay with Hyundai components, however that would end up being extremely cost-prohibitive, due to our trim level.

After MUCH research we decided to go with an aftermarket Kenwood headunit with integrated Apple Play/Android Auto, paired with a PAC adapter to retain all of the steering wheel/camera input signals.

I also looked at many of the 3rd party systems on eBay, but scouring the reviews left me feeling less-than-certain about quality/compatibility. Yes, they appeared to be a tad cheaper and even more plug-and-play with a direct fit, however the systems we ended up getting were not that difficult to install, nor were they much more expensive. The added value of convenience has been totally worth it for us!

Since we use Androids, we have been able to use a navigation system via the phone whilst hooked through Android Auto. Google Maps and WAZE (awesome app btw) are the two options there.
Additionally, we maintained voice-activated features, can directly access Spotify/Google/Amazon Music for live streaming if that is your choice. We now have two USB inputs as well, along with our 64gb flash drive...our music options are limitless.

Additionally, we also were able to keep our factory camera inputs through this unit.

On a side note, the sound quality of the DSP on an aftermarket system will often surpass the quality of a stock "premium" system.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
782 Posts
Cylac...my wife and I went through the same questions with our 2015 Santa Fe and Tuscon. Tried to stay with Hyundai components, however that would end up being extremely cost-prohibitive, due to our trim level.

After MUCH research we decided to go with an aftermarket Kenwood headunit with integrated Apple Play/Android Auto, paired with a PAC adapter to retain all of the steering wheel/camera input signals.

I also looked at many of the 3rd party systems on eBay, but scouring the reviews left me feeling less-than-certain about quality/compatibility. Yes, they appeared to be a tad cheaper and even more plug-and-play with a direct fit, however the systems we ended up getting were not that difficult to install, nor were they much more expensive. The added value of convenience has been totally worth it for us!

Since we use Androids, we have been able to use a navigation system via the phone whilst hooked through Android Auto. Google Maps and WAZE (awesome app btw) are the two options there.
Additionally, we maintained voice-activated features, can directly access Spotify/Google/Amazon Music for live streaming if that is your choice. We now have two USB inputs as well, along with our 64gb flash drive...our music options are limitless.

Additionally, we also were able to keep our factory camera inputs through this unit.

On a side note, the sound quality of the DSP on an aftermarket system will often surpass the quality of a stock "premium" system.

Hope this helps!
I think the big question (which I'm not sure I saw an answer in your post) is:
Does the aftermarket unit display the climate "overlays".
Like when you change the air flow (face/foot, defrost, AC, etc.) does that top "line" show up on the aftermarket unit?

I'd imagine it would/should, if the proper wiring harness is there since the AE should read/display whatever it's told to?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @Thoughtgarden for the reply! Sorry it took so long to reply back! I never got notified that I got replies on this post lol

Would you mind sharing with me which Kenwood model you got? I searched on Crutchfield and they say my vehicle isn't compatible with anything they sell lol

I think the big question (which I'm not sure I saw an answer in your post) is:
Does the aftermarket unit display the climate "overlays".
Like when you change the air flow (face/foot, defrost, AC, etc.) does that top "line" show up on the aftermarket unit?

I'd imagine it would/should, if the proper wiring harness is there since the AE should read/display whatever it's told to?
I'd be interested in knowing this as well! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts