Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any wiper upgrades available for the GT, I was at a couple auto parts stores as well as walmart and no one sells a good selection of wipers in our size. My car is only a couple months old and it already just smears the muck around on the windshield rather than wiping it clean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
are there any wiper upgrades available for the GT, I was at a couple auto parts stores as well as walmart and no one sells a good selection of wipers in our size. My car is only a couple months old and it already just smears the muck around on the windshield rather than wiping it clean.
amazon has a good selection of wipers

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have tried the Bosch, RainX, and Reflex and also the Trico Force.

The Trico ones seemed to work best for me, followed by the Bosch. Here are the Trico Force wipers I have:
Trico Force Windshield Wiper Blade | Canadian Tire

Only thing is that Trico did not make a passenger side wiper small enough, but the next size up fit no problem (1 inch bigger fit no problem).

I am very picky about how my wipers work (obviously) and these Tricos have given me about 15k of flawless operation since last December here in Ontario (no streaks, perfect wiping, from -20c to 35c, rain and snow)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
with a 1" wider passenger side wiper how close are the two wipers from touching? no changes of causing any issues are there?

·
Registered
674 Posts
with a 1" wider passenger side wiper how close are the two wipers from touching? no changes of causing any issues are there?
Don't touch at all, and wiper clears the body panel as well. Works perfectly.

·
22,793 Posts
What's the wiper dimensions? Similar to the sedan...14" & 28"? If so, the Honda Fit wipers, although initially pricey, is the absolute best wiper you can buy. Cosmetically they are awesome. Functionally, they are top notch. Arms and blades will set you back about $45, or so. But then you can change just the blade in the future, thereby reducing the expense. Aerodynamic, will apply pressure against the glass during driving. That's a plus. Completely compatible with our sedans. You may want measure your wiper arms to verify they'll fit (no pun intended).

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
it already just smears the muck around on the windshield rather than wiping it clean.
News flash:
The wipers are not intended to remove "muck", just water. ;)

Some wipers might be a little better but not much.
There is no substitute for manually cleaning off stuff like splattered bugs.......especially after they have dried.
And that includes cleaning the wipers themselves too.

I wonder about the new "bug solvent" washer fluid but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
News flash:
The wipers are not intended to remove "muck", just water. ;)

Some wipers might be a little better but not much.
There is no substitute for manually cleaning off stuff like splattered bugs.......especially after they have dried.
And that includes cleaning the wipers themselves too.

I wonder about the new "bug solvent" washer fluid but haven't tried it yet.
Let me put it this way, my truck can remove 1/2"+ of mud and make the windshield look brand new, and with my GT if there is dust on the windshield from leaving it out overnight it just smears it around, I shouldn't have to manually clean my windshield daily haha. :D

As for the "bug solvent" washer fluid, I think that stuff works great, I will be filling my tank with that once I run of of whatever they put in at the dealer. I like the Rain-X stuff myself :D

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I like the Rain-X stuff myself :D
Do you have any Rain-X type stuff on there now ??

I've never liked it personally; think it makes matters worse instead of better.

Maybe you just need one REALLY good cleaning.....to get off an oily film that is trapping dust and dirt ?? maybe......

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a buddy that swears by cleaning his windshild and well all glass with the super fine stainless steel wool, I think its grade 0000, maybe I should give it a try..

I have the green rain-x in my wifes car now and it seems to work great for us. In my truck I used the rain-x deicer fluid as the heater was not the best and that to worked great for deicing as well and cleaning, but I personally thought the green stuff worked better for cleaning.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a buddy that swears by cleaning his windshild and well all glass with the super fine stainless steel wool, I think its grade 0000, maybe I should give it a try..

I have the green rain-x in my wifes car now and it seems to work great for us. In my truck I used the rain-x deicer fluid as the heater was not the best and that to worked great for deicing as well and cleaning, but I personally thought the green stuff worked better for cleaning.
I have had some spots on my windshield (since a local mechanic had it for an alignment) that I want to get off, and I had no luck with Stoner's glass cleaner. My research led to the 0000 steel wool as well...I just can't get up the nerve to try it lol.

I used to use the RainX wiper fluid on my last few cars and my experience is that it tended to cause streaks. Did a great job at beading the rain on the windshield, but I found that good old winter fluid in the winter, and the bug-removing summer stuff gave me a better, consistent, streak-free wipe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I upgraded to Bosch Icons wipers and they work great - I kept the driver size the same and I upped the size from 14 to 15 for the passenger, rear is stock

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm.. The Bosch Icons are very readily available even at Walmart, I could probably get get a set of those on my lunch, and I am sure they are cheaper than the Honda Fit ones, plus who really wants Honda parts on their Hyundai haha :D

I have had the Icons in the past and they were amazing!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had the Bosch Icons too on the GT and returned them after a few days as the bottom of the driver side did not wipe very good.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Defective wiper? I read the same thing from several people buying the Honda Fit wipers and they exchanged them and then had good results.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Defective wiper? I read the same thing from several people buying the Honda Fit wipers and they exchanged them and then had good results.
Could have been.

Wally's World is good with returns so can't hurt to give the Icons a shot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had some spots on my windshield (since a local mechanic had it for an alignment) that I want to get off, and I had no luck with Stoner's glass cleaner. My research led to the 0000 steel wool as well...I just can't get up the nerve to try it lol.

I used to use the RainX wiper fluid on my last few cars and my experience is that it tended to cause streaks. Did a great job at beading the rain on the windshield, but I found that good old winter fluid in the winter, and the bug-removing summer stuff gave me a better, consistent, streak-free wipe.
Do not be afraid of the steel wool when removing waterspots. Use the invisible glass as a lubricant for the steel wool and the spot should disappear with little to no pressure. Just wipe with a microfiber you are okay with throwing away after, as it will have smal bits of steel wool in it. Don't wanna go rubbing that on your paint !

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'd be afraid of steel wool getting into a crack somewhere and starting a rust problem. The white scotch brite and the stuff I use to clean my range top, or Megs Plast-x will clean anything off a windshield, and no worries about it rusting. Coat of wax and you don't even need wipers. I use the same paint sealer on my paint, and windows, and the water just sheets off.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I prefer a razor blade to clean my windsheild, but I dont recommend this to those without practice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts