Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've seen a lot of forums talking about aftermarket parts, was wondering if anyone has tried and successfully upgraded from a base system to an OEM unit. I am weighing my options and would really like to get all the info before I make a decision on one.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I heard its a royal pain.

Basically the OEM navi units use a special type connection with the OEM navi speakers which are the front sub, tweeters, speakers and rear sub moving on to the OEM amp.

It's not impossible but it's pricey and a headache, so a lot of people opt for aftermarket.

alex, mind sharing WHY you'd want to go through all the trouble and pricey expenses to get the OEM one when the aftermarket ones are good if not better and cheaper?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The best solution in my opinion is compass-nav. Very nice unit. I bought one for my '11 GLS but it was totaled before I could install it. My new ride has factory nav. The owner of compass-nav is Charles Jean, he took good care of me. Top notch customer service.

·
Registered
664 Posts
This project will run you about $1400 - $2000 depending how OEM you want to get. It also, is very time consuming. That price is the DIY price too so if you have someone else do it then you're probably looking at $2400 - $3000.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This project will run you about $1400 - $2000 depending how OEM you want to get. It also, is very time consuming. That price is the DIY price too so if you have someone else do it then you're probably looking at $2400 - $3000.
Wow, that is crazy! Looks like it is going to be an aftermarket system!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow, that is crazy! Looks like it is going to be an aftermarket system!
I was just wanting to know an idea of what it would cost and work involved to be thorough. I have already contacted Charles about his compas-nav cn-m5 and plan to purchase it but I wouldn't be myself if I didn't completely do the research. Thanks for the info... Now I have to choose a dealer to install

I was also looking into a DEI product (such as Viper, python, etc.) for a security and remote start system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correction: I am also having either Viper or Python security and remote start system installed. I want to keep the features of the car (I.e. Proximity key, push button, etc) while also improving the security and obviously adding a remote start. I don't like making any decisions unless they are researched and informed, then no buyers remorse. Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,222 Posts
My advice. Don't waste your time and money. I have the OEM version of Nav in my 2013 Sonata and it is not worth the money. I wouldn't have gotten it if I had to do it over. Plus the updates are unconscionable at about $200 or more.

You can get a Garmin down at WalMart for about $160 and mount it on a "beanbag" that will sit very nicely in front of you that has many more features than the grossly overpriced original equipment unit. The beanbag is about $18 and works great. I essentially ignore the original equipment one except in town. The only really useful feature is the back-up camera.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
question...and not trying to be a smarta**.

how does a remote start work on a hybrid? the gas engine doesn't really start when you push the button, does it? what are you gaining? no heat, because the engine isn't getting warm...and i thought the A/C shuts off when sitting still anyways in these things. i have a co-worker who has the highlander hybrid. once he is in, he touches the button...no engine starts..but all the gauges come to life, as does the radio. he shifts gears..and it's still not running until he starts moving forward and up to a certain speed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My advice. Don't waste your time and money. I have the OEM version of Nav in my 2013 Sonata and it is not worth the money. I wouldn't have gotten it if I had to do it over. Plus the updates are unconscionable at about $200 or more.

You can get a Garmin down at WalMart for about $160 and mount it on a "beanbag" that will sit very nicely in front of you that has many more features than the grossly overpriced original equipment unit. The beanbag is about $18 and works great. I essentially ignore the original equipment one except in town. The only really useful feature is the back-up camera.
thing is with the Garmin and such is that most people don't use them and they are put away in the glove box or center console like mine is
I would think if it is in the dash and turns on with the car its in your face and you would use it more even just to know the local streets and the location of you car :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is as clean as you can get it I think when using a Garmin. I had a female cigarette lighter adaptor hard wired to the ignition and then dremeled the very corner of the assembly with the light dimmer on it which pops out very easily. The unit is attached to the vent with a little clip on vent attachment off Ebay that was 6 bucks; just had to turn it sideways and it stays quite well. No issues even with hard driving. It turns on and off with the car and is not anywhere on the dash with ugly wires. Good as it gets in my opinion without getting a uNavi upgrade. I was actually going to start a new thread with these photos for people that want to use a Garmin but not with all the ugly variation of bean bag mats and wires.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,222 Posts
thing is with the Garmin and such is that most people don't use them and they are put away in the glove box or center console like mine is

I would think if it is in the dash and turns on with the car its in your face and you would use it more even just to know the local streets and the location of you car :p
Most of the time with local streets one already knows the route. It is when you don't know where you are going that you need a good GPS.

The Garmin tells the speed of the vehicle, the speed limit and glows red when exceeding the speed limit. The factory nav doesn't except on interstates and major U.S. highways. Essentially worthless.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,222 Posts
This is as clean as you can get it I think when using a Garmin. I had a female cigarette lighter adaptor hard wired to the ignition and then dremeled the very corner of the assembly with the light dimmer on it which pops out very easily. The unit is attached to the vent with a little clip on vent attachment off Ebay that was 6 bucks; just had to turn it sideways and it stays quite well. No issues even with hard driving. It turns on and off with the car and is not anywhere on the dash with ugly wires. Good as it gets in my opinion without getting a uNavi upgrade. I was actually going to start a new thread with these photos for people that want to use a Garmin but not with all the ugly variation of bean bag mats and wires.

That's OK, but the Garmin will hold a charge for a long time without being recharged. And frankly, I don't think the beanbag is particularly "ugly." Getting to where I am going is paramount. I know what a good GPS should do in that I previously owned a 2013 Santa Fe and its Nav was quite good. I was very disappointed with the Nav in my new Sonata. The photos of the 2014 I have seen in the brochure seem to have addressed the problem. But I haven't seen one in person.

The thing about the beanbag and Garmin is that I can move it from and to either of my two cars and most of the addresses are already programmed in. And I can pick up a good signal even in my house and program in a destination. Then I just place it on the dash. And when I do occasional driving for a local dealership I take it along. It will also charge off a computer USB drive as well as lifetime automatic updates.

I would add that the new Veloster has an excellent Nav system for anyone interested in that model.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The best thing about the Garmin is that it isn't attached to the car. You can take it home to plan a complicated route, lend it to a friend or spouse, or take it with you on trips.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i have both in my other vehicle (Veracruz). factory nav and my nuvi. the nuvi is SO MUCH EASIER to use. POI's on the factory are a joke, intersections are basically useless unless you know the EXACT street name. i can be on a street, at an address, punch it in the LG factory system (upgraded this past christmas) and it can't find the place. the business has been there for 20 yrs.

when i bought the car, i thought the factory system was going to be an upgrade - WRONG in my opinion. never again, will i fork out the $$$ for a factory system. what a waste.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The IGO Primo nav system that Charles bundles with the Compass-Nav system is really good. The POI database is so comprehensive that you would think that you are in the cloud.

I usually agree with the routes it picks and when I don't I can create a 'waypoint' that will force it to take the route I prefer. The visuals are awesome with road signage and speed limits and it has very cute 3D renderings of the major buildings here in San Francisco. It also has a 'Verbosity' switch in case the lady is annoying you with too many instructions.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
question...and not trying to be a smarta**.

how does a remote start work on a hybrid? the gas engine doesn't really start when you push the button, does it? what are you gaining? no heat, because the engine isn't getting warm...and i thought the A/C shuts off when sitting still anyways in these things. i have a co-worker who has the highlander hybrid. once he is in, he touches the button...no engine starts..but all the gauges come to life, as does the radio. he shifts gears..and it's still not running until he starts moving forward and up to a certain speed.
I do not have a Hybrid so no real experience with this. My guess is that all of the climate control functions (heater, ac, seats, etc) are electric. So the "remote start" is for those features, not the engine.

Also I know on vehicles like the Chevy Volt, the remote start prewarms the batteries so that they are are optimal temperature, giving you the best range while driving.

Hybrid owners correct me if I am wrong here...:mellow:

·
Registered
687 Posts
I do not have a Hybrid so no real experience with this. My guess is that all of the climate control functions (heater, ac, seats, etc) are electric. So the "remote start" is for those features, not the engine.

Also I know on vehicles like the Chevy Volt, the remote start prewarms the batteries so that they are are optimal temperature, giving you the best range while driving.

Hybrid owners correct me if I am wrong here...:mellow:
Cars are smarter than me. I still walk outside without my keys sometimes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts