Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

We have recently purchased our ix35 and love it!! It is a basic model and as such didn't come with cruise control or climate control. I have addressed the cruise control by purchasing the steering wheel control switch and lead harness. This was a real simple plug and play upgrade.

Does anyone know if I can do the same with the air con? Does it require only a change of control panel, or is it a bigger task?

Thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
IMO, You really don't want to do that! I have it in my 2011 Sportage, with climate control, the A/C runs all the time as needed, even when the A/C green light is not lit. Plus, you'll be adjusting the temp. eveytime you run the car, I find it's never set it once, and forget it :rolleyes: then once you do set it, you have to wait awhile for it to register, in the meantime you are getting either air that's too cold, or too warm. Finally, there is no off mode, to just get fan driven vented outside air. It is a thorn in my side! :(

I had a 2002 Santa Fe LX AWD 2.7V6 with climate control, and as I recall it worked perfectly, I never remember any of these issues. I set it once, and forgot about it, I don't know what they did different on these later models?

My previous 2010 Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD had no climate control, and I had no such issues with it! ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Evening all,

We have recently purchased our ix35 and love it!! It is a basic model and as such didn't come with cruise control or climate control. I have addressed the cruise control by purchasing the steering wheel control switch and lead harness. This was a real simple plug and play upgrade.
Thanks
I'd like to know more detail about this!! I have a base model too! :D

·
Registered
838 Posts
Well, Let's see now,,, Today it was between 50-60 degrees by me, and that's good if you could just vent the air in, but you can't with C.C.

I started by putting the temp at 68 degrees, too cold,,, next went to 70 degrees, still too cold,,, next I went to 76 degrees,,, after a few minutes on the hiway, too hot,,, next it was too cold in a few minutes, so I moved it to 76 degrees,,, after a little while longer, it was too cold again :rolleyes: I put my hand over the top vents, it was cool air :rolleyes: So, I raised it to 78 degrees for the rest of the trip.

By the way, you cannot just run the fan at all without setting a temp :rolleyes:

On the way home, we got blasted with hot air at 78 degrees, so I shut it down to 74 degrees, for awhile,,, the next thing i know, the upper vents are blowing cold air :confused: So, I put it on 78 degrees again to be comfortable for the rest of the way home.

I have no idea if the A/C compressor was running at anytime during our road trip, (no light on) but I suspect it was with the constant adjusting needed of the temperature.

By the way, this is an everyday occurance!

and you WANT climate control???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Typically, an auto climate control system would be the console controls, the AC and heater systems (evaporator, heater core, and associated blend flaps between the two), a sunlight sensor and an ambient temp sensor.

Sometimes there is a mode control motor that allows for the proper blending of heat and cold depending on the conditions in the car. Sometimes this motor is different between models that have standard manual control and auto climate control.

The sunlight sensor detects suns direct beaming into the car's front windshield and has the AC run a bit more to compensate (or less if not in direct sunlight).

The ambient temp sensor(s) will pickup the current temp inside and/or outside the car to have the system adjust accordingly.

Lastly, there is a brain that controls the system based on the input of the sensors and settings from the user. This is usually built into the control panel, but sometimes is a whole separate computer brain box placed in the dash.

At minimum, you'd have to maybe add the sunlight in in-car temp sensor which might require pulling the dash.

At worst, you'd have to get sub harnesses, mode control motor, sensors, and maybe some relays and have to wire it all up.

At double worst - the whole HVAC box under the dash is completely different and that would have to be changed out.

·
22,793 Posts
Best climate controlled cars I've ever owned (I've had a bunch) employed a control "knob" and an "On/Off switch." Never had to service either one of them. :wink2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all, thanks for the replies.
I've had a couple of people mention they didn't like climate control, however I have a wife who moans on every long journey that she is cold! If it can keep her quiet it's worth a shot. I've purchased the control unit, now just need to sweet talk to a friend to fit it. Not sure how much of the dash will need removing though.

Tarmac, I purchased this from ebay Auto Cruise Remote Control Diy Kit Genuine 2010 2011 2012 Hyundai Tucson IX | eBay . To fit I had to remove the steering wheel, but it was only a case of wiring in the harness and buttons, the clock spring did not need changing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was a no go.

The connections for the climate control and standard air con are different. I didn't bother to look any further.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Welcome to the forum:00000732:
The last response from member was a no-go because the connector is different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pompsta, I am very interested in your cruise control upgrade as I too have purchased the basic model. Where did you get the steering control panel and lead harness and about how much did it run you ? Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts