Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I have found

GPS updates can be downloaded from https://www.mapnsoft.com .

Looks like all updates are available directly from this site except for the Genesis Sedan

I have seen talks about "$199 a year" Is that a $199 per year subscription (i.e. the GPS will die if not updated) or does it only mean there are updatable maps available on a yearly basis which one could skip if not needed?

·
Registered
816 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ Apr 19 2010, 12:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314580
Here is what I have found GPS updates can be downloaded from https://www.mapnsoft.com .
Looks like all updates are available directly from this site except for the Genesis Sedan
I have seen talks about "$199 a year" Is that a $199 per year subscription (i.e. the GPS will die if not updated) or does it only mean there are updatable maps available on a yearly basis which one could skip if not needed?
No it won't die, but it will be slightly out of date, but what a rip-off!

One can update a Garmin for $60. Another reason to go portable GPS

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (Pelican @ Apr 19 2010, 01:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314592

I have both. There are just as many reasons to do in-car NAV as there are to do portable NAV units. They each have their positives. Both of my cars have in-car NAV. I wish Hyundai was like my BMW though - BMW releases on DVDs and some people release images of said DVDs on torrents for "previewing" ;)

I'm hoping these release on USB key and someone gets a hold of one of the usb drives and makes an image of it the same way. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
QUOTE (jfulcher @ Apr 19 2010, 02:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314611
I have both. There are just as many reasons to do in-car NAV as there are to do portable NAV units. They each have their positives. Both of my cars have in-car NAV. I wish Hyundai was like my BMW though - BMW releases on DVDs and some people release images of said DVDs on torrents for "previewing" ;)
I'm hoping these release on USB key and someone gets a hold of one of the usb drives and makes an image of it the same way. :)
I think that if they made the updates more reasonable and a LOT easier to do, more people would get NAV

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Pelican @ Apr 19 2010, 01:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314592

Less than a week ago I was at exactly the same position and I was just not prepared to pay the additional price. (I posted something along those lines earlier) Then we took the car for a drive. Mrs RamKat felt very uncomfortable backing up into a parking spot. She said she could not see what is behind the car and predicted bumping into a high curb or some cement bock hiding behind the car not before too long. 5 years ago it cost $800 for a minor damage to a bumper cover after being rear ended (the lady almost got her car to stop in time) – today it will probably be closer to $1000 if not more. So, I looked at all kinds of options. The one that came close was some of these replacement rear view mirrors with the Sat Nav and back up camera display. I just did not feel warm and fuzzy with those products (not many reviews available). Also considered electromagnetic backup sensors but in the end Mrs RamKat convinced me that the Sat nav option is the way to go.

Here is the short list of advantages as I see it

1. Good quality back up camera
2. Totally integrated sat nav – probably not as good a GUI as my Tom Tom but at least it has a larger screen and the windscreen is clear with no loose wiring dangling across the instrument panel.
3. Improved interface to the radio
4. Here in Canada we also get the push button start with the sat nav option (not standard on the limited)

Disadvantages

1. $38 extra pm
2. Double the cost to upgrade the maps
3. Cannot take the sat nav with me when renting a car
4. I now have to wait (yet another) 5 weeks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts