Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally went looking for map updates. They want $199 to do it. Seems pretty steep to me.

https://www.mapnsoft.com/us/hyundai/product_detail.asp?pid=116

It takes 50 minutes and erases everything. Here's their warning:

** Attention Customers: All Navigation, Bluetooth and Audio Settings (Previous Destinations, Home Addresses, Phone Numbers, Phonebook Contacts, Radio Presets, etc) will be erased during the map software update procedure.

·
Registered
311 Posts
For that price ($220 with the mandatory USB drive) I will stick to google maps on my phone if the factory map doesnt get me where Im going.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, a very poor and overpriced process. Disappointing as maps really need an update every few years.

I tried to negotiate map updates as part of my purchase but the dealers were so ignorant they didn't even know how it was done.

Another shortcoming for this model.

·
Banned
358 Posts
You would think it would be free or cheaper since we just bought a $20k from them that's not up to date. Mine didn't even have the dealer I purchased my car from.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
It takes 50 minutes and erases everything. Here's their warning:

** Attention Customers: All Navigation, Bluetooth and Audio Settings (Previous Destinations, Home Addresses, Phone Numbers, Phonebook Contacts, Radio Presets, etc) will be erased during the map software update procedure.
NORMAL,, as everything gets overwritten,, Hyundai has paper for customer to sign off on before we do update..
I tried to negotiate map updates as part of my purchase but the dealers were so ignorant they didn't even know how it was done.
Service dept handles the update, not sales

·
Registered
420 Posts
You can buy a Garmin with lifetime map updates (look for LM after the model number) for less than that. And with Garmins you can get and load custom POI categories like WalMarts, BBQ joints, gas stations, red light cameras etc. I live in Chicago and my Garmin warns me every time I come to a red light cam intersection.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is exactly why I did not get the navigation package, even though I wanted infinity sound system. Any car manufacturer map update prices are ridiculous.
I was going to say the same thing that you can get an aftermarket GPS for $100ish.
I have the following and it works and does the job. Amazon has it for $120 with lifetime maps & traffic.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003B3P2CY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320689514&sr=8-2[/ame]

·
Registered
589 Posts
I still wanted the factory nav even knowing the costly upgrade limitations. The integrated touch screen control for many vehicle functions and the built-in backup camera give the car both a more upscale look and add functionality as well. Besides, I didn't update the nav in my Altima over 4 years and never found it to be a big issue.

The Garmins work well and cost next to nothing, but the whole suction-cup on the windshield and wire-in-your-lap thing looks kinda cheesy to me.

Jaeger

·
Registered
578 Posts
I still wanted the factory nav even knowing the costly upgrade limitations. The integrated touch screen control for many vehicle functions and the built-in backup camera give the car both a more upscale look and add functionality as well. Besides, I didn't update the nav in my Altima over 4 years and never found it to be a big issue.

The Garmins work well and cost next to nothing, but the whole suction-cup on the windshield and wire-in-your-lap thing looks kinda cheesy to me.

Jaeger
+1 on the back-up camera, the main reason why I got the Nav.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You don't have to upgrade your map. I use my existing nav and if I really need accurate up to date locations I can verify on google maps with my droid.
$200 may sound expensive but you should check out the other manufacturers. IMO if you suscribe to bluelink you should get free annual updates that don't reset the whole system.

·
Registered
144 Posts
On my old Garmin I had bought a lifetime map subscription for about $100 and used to update it every year.

EDIT: Although since this seems to wipe out all your settings, it seems like it's more of a total firmware update for your GPS. Might be worth doing in a few years. (Garmin's firmware updates were free.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got the 2020 update for my Sonata and love it. They added a set up for the auto map scale that is great. Three different colors for the map and a number of other changes. Only think I don't like is the address book now has no folders. Only cost $25.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
455 Posts
@TRZ750 Can you share where you got the update? Also, what year Sonata?
Updates are provided by mapnsoft. I called about my 2012 Sonata, because their website shows that a new update was released mid-May, but there's no way to get it. Apparently, they had it out briefly, but problems were reported, so they pulled it. It's supposed to be re-released sometime in June. If @TRZ750 managed to get it, he got lucky and got it before they pulled it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts