Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai i10 Premium.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just installed the factory Hyundai GPS navigation system in my daughters Hyundai i10 2017.
Gone from this.
Land vehicle Vehicle Plant Car Radio

to this.

Car Vehicle Steering part Light Motor vehicle

Everything working ok I just have a couple of small issues to iron out.

1. The radio doesn't turn off with the ignition even thought I have it connected up to the ACC. Does this work through the CAN bus? Not connected that up? It comes on with the ignition but not off.
2. USB only works as a charger or iPod. Doesn't work with Apple Car Play. This is no big deal as I have a usb cable that it does work with. Would be nice if it work with the factory one though.
3. No navigation voice sound when using navigation.This might be down to the SD card I have.

Anyone wanting to do this I will help you with anything you need help with.

·
Registered
2018, Hyundai i10 Comfort 1.0
18 Posts
Nice upgrade.
You just swapped the radio and did not do any changes on wiring I guess?
I have no experience in this upgrade, but it looks like ACC is not connected to the right terminal.

P.S. I see you struggled with getting out the radio frame, because some parts of the dashboard are damaged now.
It will not help you anymore, but removing the indicator console with seatbelt lights first and then pulling the frame out with a springhook will do the job without damaging the dashboard.
These frames are very hard to remove I also discovered. :(

·
Registered
Hyundai i10 Premium.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice upgrade.
You just swapped the radio and did not do any changes on wiring I guess?
I have no experience in this upgrade, but it looks like ACC is not connected to the right terminal.

P.S. I see you struggled with getting out the radio frame, because some parts of the dashboard are damaged now.
It will not help you anymore, but removing the indicator console with seatbelt lights first and then pulling the frame out with a springhook will do the job without damaging the dashboard.
These frames are very hard to remove I also discovered. :(
Thank you.
No it's a massive conversion. None of the wring is the same. The Radio's, hazards, Seat belt & Air bag lights are different wring and all needed rewiring with pinouts worked out. In fact the only wire that was removed and plugged back in was the DAB aerial connector.

ACC is connected to the correct terminal. This is one of the issues I have. The radio comes on with ACC but does not turn off with ACC even if the ACC wire is removed completely. I am told on this navigation unit there is a wire that is linked to the drivers door so that the radio turns off when you open the door but not been able to fine this yet.

The hardest part of the upgrade was finding a new radio frame for the new radio. This one ended up coming from Spain.

It was a little difficult to remove the radio frame and the surround does damage very easily. :(
The removal of the seatbelt light on the new frame would not work as they are screwed to the frame from the inside. But I get your point on the old frame this would have worked better if I would have known before hand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ACC is connected to the correct terminal. This is one of the issues I have. The radio comes on with ACC but does not turn off with ACC even if the ACC wire is removed completely. I am told on this navigation unit there is a wire that is linked to the drivers door so that the radio turns off when you open the door but not been able to fine this yet.
I recognize this function on my Ford Focus Mk 2012 where the same thing happens with opening the door and shutting of the radio.
There must be a terminal connector which senses this voltage drop or voltage rise (depending how it works)
You don't have connector specifications from new radio head unit for that?
It's quite a new function so i don't expect it is part of the standard connector pin out (or did we have some spare pins which could be used for that function?)
If you can't solve it with the ACC and +12V input there must be another terminal involved.
I don't expect that the illumination input is used for that.
Testing on the workbench with a 10k resistor connected to ground or +12V and test on terminals which are not labeled yet, could be a way to find the right terminal (Own risk of course, because it can mess up your head unit)

·
Registered
Hyundai i10 Premium.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recognize this function on my Ford Focus Mk 2012 where the same thing happens with opening the door and shutting of the radio.
There must be a terminal connector which senses this voltage drop or voltage rise (depending how it works)
You don't have connector specifications from new radio head unit for that?
It's quite a new function so i don't expect it is part of the standard connector pin out (or did we have some spare pins which could be used for that function?)
If you can't solve it with the ACC and +12V input there must be another terminal involved.
I don't expect that the illumination input is used for that.
Testing on the workbench with a 10k resistor connected to ground or +12V and test on terminals which are not labeled yet, could be a way to find the right terminal (Own risk of course, because it can mess up your head unit)
On all the pinout drawing I have none of then show a pin for the door open.
The radio turns off after 3 minutes if left on but it would be better if it turned off as a factory stock one does. I'm sceptical to try and find the correct pin with trial and error as it is almost perfectly working and don't want to blow the unit just for the sake of turning the unit off.
The radio I removed just turned off with the ACC so there isn't a pin on the original wiring to connect too. So it would be a case a adding one in to the system. It's just wether it's a 12+v or a 12v Ground and what pin its on the radio.
I wonder if this is Programed through CAN BUS, as it could be that CAN BUS tells it the door is open, If this is the case I would need the ECU programming and I don't think I will get a dealership to do this for me. I have wried up CAN BUS but it still doesn't turn off.

No the illumination works as it should with he lights.

·
Registered
Hyundai i10 Premium.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can confirm that Radio stays on even after key is removed. The radio switches off when driver's door is opened.
(2nd generation i10 from 2018 with navigation from factory)
Thank you for confirming this for me. It gives me somewhere to look to get this little problem sorted.
I don't suppose in your manual for the radio there is a pinout diagram for the radio?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found 2 images which show the back of such a nav head unit.
The description of the pinout do not show any signal which could be used for the door open input.
But what about the brown wire?
Font Electronic instrument Electronic device Machine Number

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Tire

Is this the same model as yours?
Gadget Display device Video game accessory Multimedia Gas

·
Registered
Hyundai i10 Premium.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found 2 images which show the back of such a nav head unit.
The description of the pinout do not show any signal which could be used for the door open input.
But what about the brown wire?

Is this the same model as yours?
No that looks like a 3rd party navigation and not a factory Hyundai. The pinout I have is here.
I haven't connected connector B pins 28,29,30. But I don't think any of these are for the door.
Does anyone know what connector B pin 16 is? Is it Battery voltage detect or Back up video detect?

Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry Pattern

Font Material property Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
Hyundai i10 Premium.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't know, I have never looked inside of it.
But just in case you didn't get a copy with the device, Hyundai offers them in some countries for download, e.g.:
Can you tell me if the factory fitted navigation system has a dedicated navigation voice speaker or does the voice come out of the normal radio speakers? I still can not get the navigation to speak. Works fine with Apple CarPlay it just the factory navigation system.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can you tell me if the factory fitted navigation system has a dedicated navigation voice speaker or does the voice come out of the normal radio speakers?
Navigation instructions do indeed come out of the door speakers. A bit "muffled" (i.e. lacking treble) compared to music or radio, but definetely out the regular speakers.

Just to rule it out, though you probably have already checked this:
The navigation speech volume is set separately and independently from the main system volume and can even be completely muted (by either pressing the navigation specific mute button or by lowering the navigation speech volume to zero).

Is yours set to a non-zero level?

And if so: does music or radio playback volume decrease when navigation instructions (like e.g. when starting a route) are expected?

·
Registered
Hyundai i10 Premium.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Navigation instructions do indeed come out of the door speakers. A bit "muffled" (i.e. lacking treble) compared to music or radio, but definetely out the regular speakers.

Just to rule it out, though you probably have already checked this:
The navigation speech volume is set separately and independently from the main system volume and can even be completely muted (by either pressing the navigation specific mute button or by lowering the navigation speech volume to zero).

Is yours set to a non-zero level?

And if so: does music or radio playback volume decrease when navigation instructions (like e.g. when starting a route) are expected?
Thank you for going to to trouble of checking for me. I appreciate it.
The navigation voice volume is set to 30 when I move the volume that is on the map for voice nothing happens. But if I go into settings then volumes there is a voice volume. That when I move it it say “navigation voice will be at this level” I can hear that but nothing when using the navigation. I wonder if I have corrupted software or have I connected a wire that mutes the navigation somehow. It’s strange as it work perfectly apart from that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Didn't try from within settings > volumes > voice volume, but the message "Navigation voice will be at this level" (albeit in German in my case) is audible when changing the navigation volume using the shortcut on the map (this I did try today).

Is the music/radio playback volume decreased for a couple seconds right after initiating a route to be navigated?

Does the issue remain if you set a different voice language and/or deactivate Bluetooth?

·
Registered
Hyundai i10 Premium.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Didn't try from within settings > volumes > voice volume, but the message "Navigation voice will be at this level" (albeit in German in my case) is audible when changing the navigation volume using the shortcut on the map (this I did try today).

Is the music/radio playback volume decreased for a couple seconds right after initiating a route to be navigated?

Does the issue remain if you set a different voice language and/or deactivate Bluetooth?
Thank you for all your help, I have now got it working. It turned out to be a software issue caused by using a MacBook to download and update the map data. When I download the map data again using a windows PC it worked straight away.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It turned out to be a software issue caused by using a MacBook to download and update the map data. When I download the map data again using a windows PC it worked straight away.
Excellent! (y)
Though, as Damted already hinted to: maybe not so much for "Apple only" users ;).

Where did you download the map data updates from? And: can you possibly say more about the software glitch or point to the affected file(s)?

Reason for asking:
I'd like to try updating the map data myself. And since I will have no more Windows machines with internet access (one notebook remains and it will soon also get Linux), it would be great to know where to look in case I run into similar issues in the future.

·
Registered
Hyundai i10 Premium.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent! (y)
Though, as Damted already hinted to: maybe not so much for "Apple only" users ;).

Where did you download the map data updates from? And: can you possibly say more about the software glitch or point to the affected file(s)?

Reason for asking:
I'd like to try updating the map data myself. And since I will have no more Windows machines with internet access (one notebook remains and it will soon also get Linux), it would be great to know where to look in case I run into similar issues in the future.
I downloaded it from the official Russian Hyundai software updater here. Instruction here. The Russian maps and European maps are the same you just have to change 2 of the files from RUS to EUR for them to work in your European unit. Really easy to do.

I wouldn't know what files was affected as I just re download the maps with a PC as someone said it could be the issue. The I tried it and it worked. So I haven't really check what files if any are missing.

If you want the latest maps for the i10 I have them on my NAS drive and can send you a link to download it straight from there if you like? If forum rules allow?
Please note it updates the firmware too and as such you then can't use your old map SD card.

PS. I see you're in the USA. I think you can use this updater to update USA maps too. Link to USA updater. Here Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website

·
Registered
73 Posts
I downloaded it from the official Russian Hyundai software updater here. Instruction here. The Russian maps and European maps are the same you just have to change 2 of the files from RUS to EUR for them to work in your European unit. Really easy to do.

I wouldn't know what files was affected as I just re download the maps with a PC as someone said it could be the issue. The I tried it and it worked. So I haven't really check what files if any are missing.

If you want the latest maps for the i10 I have them on my NAS drive and can send you a link to download it straight from there if you like? If forum rules allow?
Please note it updates the firmware too and as such you then can't use your old map SD card.

PS. I see you're in the USA. I think you can use this updater to update USA maps too. Link to USA updater. Here Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website
Thanks! Thank you also for the direct link offer.

However, since our i10 is still within the 5-year manufactuerer's warranty, I'd rather not mess with the firmware (yet). Just in case the navigation unit develops some kind of error and the dealer uses it as an excuse for not fixing it.

PS.: I'm in Germany most of the time while the i10 is in Greece. It seems, the forum software selects a flag based on a user's last log in ip address.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts