Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got on hyundaiusa maintenance schedule site. I had my timing belt replaced at 62k. I have an 08 Santa Fe 2.7l which just hit 85k. I was looking to see what they recommended at 90k-100k. I noticed at 100k it said to change the timing belt. That seemed odd to me because it was a 60k ordeal and I expected to see it at 120k. Anyone else noticed this & adhering to 50k change intervals on your timing belt? Looks like they also recommend 30k engine coolant flushes as well. That seems like way overkill with coolant now lasting 100-150k.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Coolant now maybe lasting that long but back in 2008 that stuff was still iffy across all makes and models. I also don't believe in 100,000 mile spark plug change intervals, I pull mine at 60,000-75,000 miles and change em. As for the timing belt.. I'm assuming the 2.7L is an interference engine which thus means if the belt snaps, the valves and other things go kablooey?

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Just got on hyundaiusa maintenance schedule site. I had my timing belt replaced at 62k. I have an 08 Santa Fe 2.7l which just hit 85k. I was looking to see what they recommended at 90k-100k. I noticed at 100k it said to change the timing belt. That seemed odd to me because it was a 60k ordeal and I expected to see it at 120k. Anyone else noticed this & adhering to 50k change intervals on your timing belt? Looks like they also recommend 30k engine coolant flushes as well. That seems like way overkill with coolant now lasting 100-150k.
Hyundai has a 60k interval for this engine. However, in the state of California, they require timing belts to last 100k miles. Perhaps that spec is somehow showing up- perhaps an asterisk on that line?

·
Registered
882 Posts
check the coolant color first. You should change coolant at least every 50k because the additives can degrade. Just imagine you let the water flow throuth hot engine and radiator everyday. If there's no additive the rust will build up

·
Registered
270 Posts
ya know what's funny about this timing belt fiasco. when you get it done you get the shops warranty and once that runs out and the belt goes and blows the motor nobody's liable. the 10 year powertrain does'nt cover that. man am i glad to see belts on there way out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tire Kingdom in Venice FL just told me timing belt is at 75k miles. Plan on doing as soon as I get back down after selling my house in Taxachussetts...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts