Hyundai Forums banner

UPDATE: Santa Fe Sport 2013-2017 Tesla Android Head Unit

35K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  upei.one 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a new tesla style head unit for the Santa Fe Sport. It is fully plug n play.

All OEM Functions will be functional.

Steering Wheel Controls
OEM Reverse Backup Camera
OEM Reverse Parking Sensors
OEM USB/Aux Port will work
Climate Controls are integrated into the unit.
Full Android 8.1 * They will provide an update file to upgrade the head unit to Android 9/9.1*

They are providing me with plastic panel popper tools
Screen protector
Android/Carplay Adapter.

Tesla Style Head Unit Santa Fe Sport

Key Specs:
TS 4G LTE player
CPU: SL9853 Intel IA, 8 CORE, 1.872 GHz
Android 8.1 system
DDR4 4 GB RAM + 64GB ROM, large RAM that support good video viewing
Global 4G LTE support with sim card slot, also built-in wifi.
Support Bluetooth 5.0 and Network sharing via BT, with external MICROPHONE
Support 4 K (3840 * 2160 Pixel) HD video display

Feature:
Resolution: 768 * 1024
Touch screen: IPS touchscreen.
Mirroring function: support android phone and iphone, apple.
Carplay @ android car available. (optional) They are providing the adapter free of charge.
App installation: support download, install, crib app from app store.
DVR / USB ADAS DVR: High speed 1080 P / 720 P recording, operated by unit's touch screen.
ADAS system support (lane departure warning, front collision warning, stop & go). in our set meal, what we offer is ADAS DVR.
OBD 2: support
TPMS: support with built-in and external testers.
Radio / RDS: support
DAB: support but need to connect module before shipment. Close seller if you have DAB.
Steering wheel: oringinal steering wheel control supported
Wallpaper / Logo: support.
Google store / Youtube: support, if you buy 4G version, you can use 4G internet to browse the youtube very quickly.
Language: more than 50 types of country language.
Audio: built-in 10 band EQ adjustment.

I will provide a full write up once I have installed everything.

Total Cost was 523 CAD shipped.

See less See more
#3 ·
Wondering if this will work for me? I have auto climate control with lcd screen and the color touchscreen radio non navigation.

Guessing inwouldnhae to change the climate control unless the screen can take over those functions...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Limited.

Rewen, Yes I have full Nav with Infinity Sound System.

I am still waiting for it as I have not received it as of yet.

Adogg please provide me an image of your front dash showing your radio and climate control. Google images will be fine.

There are several models of the tesla screen for different setups.

The climate control is Integrated into the Android unit.

#11 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Limited.

Rewen, Yes I have full Nav with Infinity Sound System.

I am still waiting for it as I have not received it as of yet.

Adogg please provide me an image of your front dash showing your radio and climate control. Google images will be fine.

There are several models of the tesla screen for different setups.

The climate control is Integrated into the Android unit.
Hi 2XPLICIT,

Im looking at this unit for my 2015 Santa Fe Highlander. What are you thoughts on it?

#6 ·
This is how mine looks. Base radio but the screen is touch and color. Dual zone climate control but with the monochrome lcd

Also I do have a backup camera with fixed lines

#7 ·
Adogg9626, it doesn't look like the Tesla-style unit will fit. It occupies some of the space where your climate control screen is.

I have the opposite problem, where I don't have the climate control screen, so my Android stereo came with a plastic cubby to fill that space. :p

#8 ·
Adogg9626, it doesn't look like the Tesla-style unit will fit. It occupies some of the space where your climate control screen is.

I have the opposite problem, where I don't have the climate control screen, so my Android stereo came with a plastic cubby to fill that space. :p
I have the Infinity system and my wife has the Dimension....Both with the 8" nav screen and ultimate package. This Tesla style will fit what I have? Also, everything works?

#9 ·
There's a number of systems that advertise all the compatibility you mentioned, the Climate Controls being integrated into the unit probably being the most complex part of it yet none will use your existing mic or GPS antenna. I would think that would be simple with adapters?

#10 ·
The issues with fitment revolve around whether or not you have the nav screen or the dedicated climate control screen:

(from https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...SB_20200116105318&SearchText=santa+fe+climate)

If you have the dedicated climate screen then there won't be enough room for the Tesla-style units to fit into the dash. The more common widescreen units fit perfectly though.

On the other hand if you have the stock nav screen (therefore no dedicated climate screen) then the Tesla-style units will fit perfectly, and the widescreen units will leave extra room below. For widescreen units, usually the seller provides you a 'frame' aka storage cubby to fill in the extra space.

If your vehicle has an amp then don't expect to love how these Android units work. You can see the roller coaster of experiences I've had with mine here: 13-15 Santa Fe aftermarket android head unit (works with Inifinity system)

#15 ·
Where I was going with this is that they show climate control ability on screen. If so, an always swap over to a nav climate contol setup to fill the hole

Anytime one of these units is involved I expect to have to custom fabricate something to make the install work

#17 ·
Hey guys, I have everything installed. Will post some screen shots soon. I am working on getting the reverse camera to work. I have to purchase a 12v to 6v adapter by AX-CAM6V | Axxess Integrate

Here is a teaser shot right after fitting install. I was setting up navigation antenna. My wife was nagging me to play with it and I wasn't finished setting everything up. So I snapped everything in for her to see how it looks.
More to come...

#18 ·
The unit came unconfigured.

I had to speak with engineers to configure it for our model of vehicle. Which included me getting into their engineering mode.

2014 Santa Fe Sport Limited 2.0T.

Several changes were made. However, I will post pictures reviewing everything once I get the 12v to 6v reverse camera adapter installed.

They also sent me a Android 9.0 firmware update. (which I haven't installed)

They will also provide me Android 10 once they have it available.

Will keep you posted.

#19 ·
Oh man that's nice! Drooling with jealousy

I am thinking if I can find a cheap oem nav style climate control just buying it and seeing if I still get the functionality. The temp, fan, and mode info along with control signals may be passing thru the Can Bus wires and if so one of these units may be able to pick it up.

At this point I am brave enough to try some hackery since I have 3 vehicles.

#24 ·
Update everyone,

The tesla android unit is amazing. I finally got the oem backup camera to work. Inhad to purchase the axxess 12v - 6v adapter for the hyundai oem backup camera to work. I didnt have a wiring diagram so i had to go to a friend of mine to have it installed at his shop. So, i will be posting pictures tomorrow of the new setup. Please ask any questions.

#25 · (Edited)
Ok guys,

Here how it looks after the hyundai logo boot up. Takes less than 5 seconds to boot up.

It has a beautiful home screen... Now there are like 20 wallpapers to choose from or you add your own wallpaper and replace the car.

Nice climate control screen... However, I contacted the engineers to see if I can change the color from the red yellow to a Blue White.....

This is the radio screen.... As you can see it supports all the cool stations lol... AM side includes 590, 640, 680, 1010 etc... AM side I had some issues with Radio frequencies due to the unit not being fully configured. I had to get into the engineering options and enable the Radio Power Antenna option and change the Radio Frequency Region to North America. It now works perfectly.

Here it is folks....

Original OEM Backup Camera support.... The quality is actually High Definition... My photo taking capabilities are definitely not good with the phone.... The unit again was not configured for the reverse assistant lines. Engineering advised me to go into their menu and enable them. As you can see you can also adjust the lines to your preference.
So far so good.... Also, an Axxess 12v-6v adapter is required to integrate your OEM Factory Back up Camera.... 12v to 6v Adapter

Android apps screen..... Pretty god **** cool.... As you can see I have a cool plexi glass screen protector on the screen aswell....

Parking sensors also work fine if I did not mention that......

Let me know what you all think???

Also, let me know what else you'd like to see...

#27 ·
Here is a picture on how it protrudes from the dash. There are smaller Tesla style screens that are embedded into the dash for a more factory OEM look.

You can purchase these from Ebay, Amazon, Local sellers here in the GTA. Just do a google search. There isn't any tips that I can give. They claim its plug n play... The harness that you will receive will be plug n play. However, please ensure that the unit you purchase support all your current OEM features and functions. Be prepared to make some modifications. Such as adding steering wheel control adapters, 12v to 6v step down adapter. Your unit might also come fully configured. Unfortunately, mine did not. Every vendor, distributor will carry different manufactures. Find one that you like.

Here is a video on youtube on how to remove your Santa Fe Radio... Enjoy.... Have fun finding your favourite android unit.

Santa Fe Radio Removal

#28 ·
Hello i have a hyundai santa fe dm 2015 with a sound system with a amplifier but it is not jbl or infinity the car is a erupean version i live in sweden =) ,(dont know if it matters) the amplifier is a AMP_150DM and the head unit in my car is the one with navigation.i recently bought a tesla style stereo with a px6 core from aliexpress, and it does not work in my car i get no sound from it and i can´t control my ac or the fan speed with the stereo. do you know what is wrong??
tried to get help from the seller eand he sent me new canbus devices, but they did not work it was exactly the same as the one i got with the stereo.
this is a picture of my original stereo in the car
Best regards fredrik

#30 · (Edited)
Mr. Fredrik, I noticed that you just joined the Hyundai Forums 1 day ago. Welcome to the Hyundai Forums.

You have selected a great android unit. However, I found out just like you that these units claim that they are plug n play but they really are not. However, once they are setup and configured correctly they are amazing. I am assuming they have provided you with instructions on the installation.

Few questions need to be answered.

The original head unit is it an OEM Hyundai unit or is it aftermarket?

The amplifier you mentioned is not JBL or Infinity. I looked it up and it comes up as a 2012 Santa Fe amplifier. Maybe they might used it for later years.

Now the seller should offer different harnesses one without factory amplifier and one with factory amplifier. Make sure you confirm that they sent you the correct harness.

When you connect the harness make sure it plugged in very firmly and listen for the click.

Then from the harness make sure that your canbus is firmly connected and plugged into the right spot on the back of the unit.

Plug in your USB connector to the right port on the back.

There should be another cable with the audio inputs and outputs. Make sure you have the cable plugged into the right port at the back.

Then make sure to plug in FL OUT to FL IN and FR OUT to FR IN.

The unit may also need to be setup by region, so please ask them how to get into their engineering settings and configure it for Europe. Mine was setup for China and needed to configured for North America.

Also, make sure they walk you through setting up your canbus as mine was set for a different make and model. Once we configured it for Sonata 8th Gen everything started working. Yours may need to be set to Sonata 8th Gen or ix35/45. Not sure but please confirm with the seller. They need to consult their distributor.

Not sure if your harness is the same but here is a diagram that was provided to me.

RCA RED and WHITE GETS CONNECTED TO YOUR AMPLIFIER. Your unit should have another cable that has all the inputs and outputs.

Example:

Only one connection you will have to make and that is FL (White) to FL (White) and FR (Red) to FR (Red).

The android unit sends the audio to amplifier which then disperses it to all speakers. you will have no control using fade or balance.

Please make sure your antenna cable is plugged in.

Please try that and report back. Steering wheels control is another issue. There is a pink wire with a clip try unclipping that and leaving it disconnected and then retest steering wheel controls.

Good luck.

#31 ·
Mr. Fredrik, I noticed that you just joined the Hyundai Forums 1 day ago. Welcome to the Hyundai Forums.

You have selected a great android unit. However, I found out just like you that these units claim that they are plug n play but they really are not. However, once they are setup and configured correctly they are amazing. I am assuming they have provided you with instructions on the installation.

Few questions need to be answered.

The original head unit is it an OEM Hyundai unit or is it aftermarket?

The amplifier you mentioned is not JBL or Infinity. I looked it up and it comes up as a 2012 Santa Fe amplifier. Maybe they might used it for later years.

Now the seller should offer different harnesses one without factory amplifier and one with factory amplifier. Make sure you confirm that they sent you the correct harness.

When you connect the harness make sure it plugged in very firmly and listen for the click.

Then from the harness make sure that your canbus is firmly connected and plugged into the right spot on the back of the unit.

Plug in your USB connector to the right port on the back.

There should be another cable with the audio inputs and outputs. Make sure you have the cable plugged into the right port at the back.

Then make sure to plug in FL OUT to FL IN and FR OUT to FR IN.

The unit may also need to be setup by region, so please ask them how to get into their engineering settings and configure it for Europe. Mine was setup for China and needed to configured for North America.

Also, make sure they walk you through setting up your canbus as mine was set for a different make and model. Once we configured it for Sonata 8th Gen everything started working. Yours may need to be set to Sonata 8th Gen or ix35/45. Not sure but please confirm with the seller. They need to consult their distributor.

Not sure if your harness is the same but here is a diagram that was provided to me. View attachment 445617

RCA RED and WHITE GETS CONNECTED TO YOUR AMPLIFIER. Your unit should have another cable that has all the inputs and outputs.

Example:

View attachment 445618

Only one connection you will have to make and that is FL (White) to FL (White) and FR (Red) to FR (Red).

The android unit sends the audio to amplifier which then disperses it to all speakers. you will have no control using fade or balance.

Please make sure your antenna cable is plugged in.

Please try that and report back. Steering wheels control is another issue. There is a pink wire with a clip try unclipping that and leaving it disconnected and then retest steering wheel controls.

Good luck.
[/QUOTE

Hi 2XPLICIT, thanks for posting the review and pics. Do you have a picture of the 12-volt to 6-volt Step-Down Converter connection?

#32 ·
thanks
the original headunit is a hyundai one never changed it model LAN2100EHDM
took some pictures ot the stereo and the wiring harness, tried to change some protocols for the canbus but no luck.
still no sound i even tried with another canbus decoder (got 2 extra from the seller)
when i google my amplifier and the jbl one, the connections looks the same so must be something else or??
do i need to connect the amp wire from the android stereo??

#35 ·
thanks
the original headunit is a hyundai one never changed it model LAN2100EHDM
took some pictures ot the stereo and the wiring harness, tried to change some protocols for the canbus but no luck.
still no sound i even tried with another canbus decoder (got 2 extra from the seller)
when i google my amplifier and the jbl one, the connections looks the same so must be something else or??
do i need to connect the amp wire from the android stereo??
On my non-tesla-style unit I also had no sound out of the box. I fixed it by doing this (which may not be the same for you, but you never know):

...the head unit needs to be hooked up so that the Front left and right RCA plugs going to the CANBUS/SPDIF box.

In Car Info > Audio-A make sure to center every setting. Ignore the numerical value that shows up, the center is the proper setting.

For me these were:
  • Sound at 25 instead of 0.
  • FAD at 10 (50% front, 50% rear) instead of 0.
  • BAL at 10 (50% left, 50% right) instead of 0.
  • Treble at 0 instead of -10.
  • Middle at 0 instead of -10.
  • Bass at 0 instead of -10.
In the equalizer app turn off Surround Sound as it relies on the rear channels to work and with the Infinity system, we lose the rear and sub channels (they get recreated from the front channels instead). I'd suggest turning it off in general since it's only good for the driver and bad for everyone else anyway.

Also in the equalizer app I suggest turning on Loudness (tap Settings button on the screen with all the sliders) so that you have some bass at lower volumes. I also use Preset Mode 1 and have Bass Enhancement to 4 at < 68hz I think. I'm still changing these all the time to find a good balance between sound quality at lower and higher volume. An alternative that I didn't mind was leaving the equalizer flat, no Loudness, no Bass Enhancement, and just turning the Treble slider (which is really Bass) in Audio-A.
As for which CANBUS protocol to use, I was able to tell by the imprint on the plastic of the CANBUS box. It had a brand name, and there was a matching protocol in the CANBUS settings. Under that I chose the 'GM' option (IX45 also worked I believe).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.