Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the turbo died. Kinda. The seals were shot and after boost it would throw out a cloud of smoke. In the meantime I have just a straight pipe from the manifold to the exhaust. No smoke, was nervous it was rings or head gasket. It's crazy how much sound the turbo takes away, without it on the car is freakin loud.

The car is at 65k and it's time to do timing belt anyhow so I got all the belts, waterpump, thermostat, and timing belt tensioner. I plan on doing those things tonight.

I changed the clutch last night. The spec SY042 stage 2 went it without much trouble, but since I didn't have time to get the flywheel resurfaced I bought a new one so all new stuff went in. The condition of the stock clutch was actually very good. The flywheel and pressure plate had some glazing but looked to be in good condition. The clutch disc still had a pretty good amount of friction surface left so it could have lasted maybe a couple more years. Maybe till 100k.

I'm in contact with ATP turbo to see what they suggest would be the best replacement, and he told me the turbo I was running was basically a miniature T3 and only capable of about 200hp. I might have been kind of at the limit of that turbo anyhow power wise. I plan on getting a larger Ball Bearing T3 as a replacement, it should bolt up exactly where the old one was without any modification which will be nice. I'm looking for something that can support 250 to 300hp so I'll have some headroom if I ever do forged pistons or any serious engine work.

After the new turbo is installed and the car is re-tuned, next thing will be coilovers, if I can get the D2 set. Then Autocross! Maybe. Anyone know what model car the set that fits our car is for?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That sucks but at least the turbo didn't catastrophically fail. I've seen turbines make holes in downpipes. Now we know LC clutches fit our MCs. Hows pedal effort and take-off with the stage 2?

Must feel pretty slow now that it's back to "stock" :grin:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sup dam.. You have a T2 flange right? A four bolt rectangular (standard) inlet flange? In all honesty, I'd go with a gt15r or a 28r, not the 28rs. KFX is sending me a full turbo kit, I have a ko3, but that flange is no good for you, and the other turbo I got sitting here is a ar.50. 50trim t3, out of a saab. That's the same turbo you had. You bought your turbo new or used? And I really think you should upgrade to a tubular manifold. There's alot of room. I have a tubular manifold I designed, that fits with the 50trim i got. I can take pictures. I just sourced the flange from the iron cast stock mani. The turbo sits below the rad, like on a civic. Anyway, yeah. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Stage 2 actually feels just like stock. Smooth engagement, but with no turbo I have no idea how well it's going to hold.

The old turbo actually has a t3 flange on it, I just had to buy one to make the pipe to connect the manifold to the exhaust, it is 4 bolt and rectangular, but they are calling them t3, not sure if there is a size difference. It was a used turbo that had been sitting for a while, so I have no idea about it's actual age. On another note I found out that the AN fitting they welded to the oil pan sits a bit too low and won't allow proper drainage. Might have to source a new pan and rework the drainage, but that could have been the source of the failure.

I'll let you know how it runs once everything is back in place. Oh and I must have done something wrong like mess up the timing cause the car is running like crap, no power and the idle drops too low. it runs but not well. I'll scan it tomorrow to see what code it threw up and go from there.

Later all.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The D2 for the Kia Pride will fit on our cars, i'll find out whats the model number. But i would recommend you to buy the SMA Coilovers and get at least 10 or 12 kfg/mm spring rate for Autocross because from stock they come with 7k and mine are out, they are about to give up. Or you can buy the springs here in the usa, the length is 200mm.

Take couple pics of your car, i would love you see it again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looked like the D2 set had adjustable camber so that was a plus if it's true. The car it still rolling on winter steelies so it's not looking too hot, I've been wanting to get the coilovers and an alignment before burning up another set of front summer tires. IMO the cardomain pics are the best ones I have, once the new turbo is in expect another dyno video too.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
that is true but the hole thats there is too small so the adjustment are very minimal, not enough for autocross, if thats the purpose, Thats why SMA took it out from their stock, because they did had some before.

SMA

D2

i just looked at the pictures and no, they come with it, again for the same problem.

·
Registered
556 Posts
QUOTE (dAMIAn78 @ Jun 19 2010, 11:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334416
It looked like the D2 set had adjustable camber so that was a plus if it's true. The car it still rolling on winter steelies so it's not looking too hot, I've been wanting to get the coilovers and an alignment before burning up another set of front summer tires. IMO the cardomain pics are the best ones I have, once the new turbo is in expect another dyno video too.
You have a turbo damian? and what's wrong with the an fitting? the an fitting to the pan? or from the block the block to the turbo? No way do you need a new pan to fix that... A pan might be serious cash. Tig weld up the pan and move the an fitting. I can do it if u need, just send it my way. im only in ny :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
QUOTE (dAMIAn78 @ Jun 19 2010, 04:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334370
The Stage 2 actually feels just like stock. Smooth engagement, but with no turbo I have no idea how well it's going to hold.

The old turbo actually has a t3 flange on it, I just had to buy one to make the pipe to connect the manifold to the exhaust, it is 4 bolt and rectangular, but they are calling them t3, not sure if there is a size difference. It was a used turbo that had been sitting for a while, so I have no idea about it's actual age. On another note I found out that the AN fitting they welded to the oil pan sits a bit too low and won't allow proper drainage. Might have to source a new pan and rework the drainage, but that could have been the source of the failure.

I'll let you know how it runs once everything is back in place. Oh and I must have done something wrong like mess up the timing cause the car is running like crap, no power and the idle drops too low. it runs but not well. I'll scan it tomorrow to see what code it threw up and go from there.

Later all.
They might be talking about the inlet size, not the flange. like a ko3 has a t2 head. but has a wack **** 3 bolt flange. i have the same turbo u had sitting right next to me. if u want it let me know.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (StevenWang @ Jun 20 2010, 11:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334629
You have a turbo damian? and what's wrong with the an fitting? the an fitting to the pan? or from the block the block to the turbo? No way do you need a new pan to fix that... A pan might be serious cash. Tig weld up the pan and move the an fitting. I can do it if u need, just send it my way. im only in ny :D
The turbo needs to drain ABOVE the oil line in the pan. If it drains directly into the oil, the turbo won't last very long.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (StevenWang @ Jun 20 2010, 11:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334641
That made no sense at all? I was asking what was wrong with the an fitting to the pan...

The AN fitting sits about a half inch below the oil pan flange, the oil level in the pan must sit above the lowest point on the AN fitting. I removed the turbo and put a AN cap over the AN fitting. For giggles I pulled the cap off before draining the oil and sure enough oil came pouring out. There is only about a half inch to move it up.

It might be better to get a piece of aluminum tubing like 5/8" with a 45 degree angle in it, drill the pan right below the flange, then weld the tube into the pan giving you a nice drain angle as high as it could be on the pan. Might have to make that change if I don't want to kill the new turbo.

This is the turbo I'm looking to get. Maybe.
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...tegory_Code=TBN

·
Registered
556 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Jun 20 2010, 04:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334718
That's exactly what I explained.
Yeah but I didn't realize where his was sitting. That could of been the cause of this I suppose... Seals were shot :(.
Dam.. I'd look into a tubular manifold... Log style manifolds don't make power. Just upgrading to a tubular one you'll more power vs. the log.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (StevenWang @ Jun 20 2010, 05:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334725
Yeah but I didn't realize where his was sitting. That could of been the cause of this I suppose... Seals were shot :(.
Yeah a bad drain will kill a turbo pretty fast. It certainly didn't help.

QUOTE (StevenWang @ Jun 20 2010, 05:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334725
Dam.. I'd look into a tubular manifold... Log style manifolds don't make power. Just upgrading to a tubular one you'll more power vs. the log.
The trade-off will be more lag. Unless he plans on a big turbo, a log manifold will suffice. A tubular manifold isn't worth it at this power level.

Speaking of tubular, here's some spaghetti :grin:

totally unrelated, goes on a RB26

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bought the 57 trim..This car is spoiled like a flippin baby.

Clutch feels really nice now, Swapped out the trans oil for royal purple and it actually does feel smoother, shifts click right in, and those new shifter bushings required some filing on the larger ones to fit, but they feel real nice too.

Hopefully I can get everything together and tuned within 2 weeks.

After all this, time to get the suspension sorted. Maybe a set of wheels.

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (dAMIAn78 @ Jun 23 2010, 12:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335442
Bought the 57 trim..This car is spoiled like a flippin baby.

Clutch feels really nice now, Swapped out the trans oil for royal purple and it actually does feel smoother, shifts click right in, and those new shifter bushings required some filing on the larger ones to fit, but they feel real nice too.

Hopefully I can get everything together and tuned within 2 weeks.

After all this, time to get the suspension sorted. Maybe a set of wheels.

are you running a stock clutch or have you swapped it out with a stage 2?

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (LePapirrikY @ Jun 19 2010, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334422
that is true but the hole thats there is too small so the adjustment are very minimal, not enough for autocross, if thats the purpose, Thats why SMA took it out from their stock, because they did had some before.

SMA

D2

i just looked at the pictures and no, they come with it, again for the same problem.
so the SMA coils are a no go?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Both of them fit, I'm running with the SMA Coilovers, someone else is running with the D2.

So far no problems, and running pretty good, since i started autocrossing my springs have started making all kind of noise but that was expected since those springs arent meant for autocross, just street use. Like i was saying to damian, the springs from the D2 will also have to be replace because those are for street use as well, but here is the sort of problem, you first need to find out whats the spring rate on those coilovers and from there choose what will be the best rate, but you also have to consider the damper allowance, most of the time they are -+4. If anyone is preparing their car for autox, small things like that will count on ur time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.