Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,232 Posts
Thanks for your continued responses regarding this matter. Since the transfer case died (again) the rear is fine. Making tight turns at high and low speeds there is no noise or binding. Which has me wondering if the used transfer case was bad to begin with? If the rear differential we're trashed would it work correctly if the transfer case was disconnected? Or would there be binding in turns regardless? If it is the magnetic clutch, how can that be tested?
Used parts are always a crapshoot. And most Hyundai assemblies seem to be replaced vs rebuilt by dealers/shops so very few sources on the internet to find diagnostics.

Out of curiosity what was the original transfer case doing/sounding like that indicated it failed?

The rear coupler is electro hydraulic and controlled by a valve to regulate oil pressure. The service manual does have some diagrams and operational proceedures in it so you may be able to test it out.

Just more difficult without the scantool but basic voltage and resistance tests should indicate pending failure.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Thanks for your continued responses regarding this matter. Since the transfer case died (again) the rear is fine. Making tight turns at high and low speeds there is no noise or binding. Which has me wondering if the used transfer case was bad to begin with? If the rear differential we're trashed would it work correctly if the transfer case was disconnected? Or would there be binding in turns regardless? If it is the magnetic clutch, how can that be tested?
yes - the transfer case was bad, the ecu programming was/is good. used parts are a gamble and even rebuilt parts these days can be unpredictable. But I'd still fault the installing shop for not doing a thorough inspection on the used part or making sure it came off of a low mileage vehicle. If everything is now working why would you bother with any additional testing ? relax and chill

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yes - the transfer case was bad, the ecu programming was/is good. used parts are a gamble and even rebuilt parts these days can be unpredictable. But I'd still fault the installing shop for not doing a thorough inspection on the used part or making sure it came off of a low mileage vehicle. If everything is now working why would you bother with any additional testing ? relax and chill
I have to bring my car up on Friday for new brakes and the re-installation of the used transfer case. They said they will check the rear differential if the noise is exhibited again after installation and I wanted to be prepared with as much of a solution as possible. If it exhibits the same noise I will have them disconnect the shaft until I have money and time to truble shoot---or I'll simply leave it as FWD.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts