Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an update to my previous post about our planned trip to California to purchase a 2016 Sonata for our son who goes to school here. Although we did rent a car from Hertz in the rent2buy program we chose not to purchase it. Instead, I negotiated a price online with a Hyundai dealer for a certified pre-owned vehicle that was only a couple of hundred dollars more than the Hertz vehicle. The fun begin when the sales manager said that the 10-year powertrain warranty had to be purchased for another thousand dollars - even though the Hyundai USA website says it is included. She claims that the balance of the 5-year 60000 mile comprehensive warranty is included. Although I originally found this car posted on HyundaiUSA as a CPO, contacting Hyundai USA has been unsatisfying. I asked them to confirm that The VIN is indeed for a CPO but Hyundaia USA says they don't have it in their system - but that could be because it is not sold yet. The car appears to be a good car at a good price but the process is disconcerting.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If the dealer is selling the car as CPO then the price of retaining the 100k mile factory warranty should be included in the asking price.
Dealer sounds shady to me.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,033 Posts
it is correct that the 10yr/100,000 does not automatically transfer to another owner, subsquent owners do get the 5/60,000 warranty free (see below from Hyundai). But that is the purpose of a CPO Car it extends the full factory warranties to the new owner and is supposed to be included in the advertised price if they are claiming it as a CPO. To be a CPO it has to have been certified by the dealer to meet all of the requirements. If the dealer is trying to charge you extra on top of the listed price of a listed "CPO" they are double charging you.

"Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e., selected engine and transmission/transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model-year vehicles. On 1999-2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (e.g., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.)."

·
Registered
8 Posts
In-laws purchased a 2017 Sport

My in-laws purchase a 2017 Sport with 25k miles. It was not originally listed as CPO, but the dealer stated that they can re-certify it.

In-laws got binding paperwork that car was certified and that the original 10yr/100k mile warranty was included. No extra charge was applied to them.

Dealer does in fact sound shady. I'd avoid.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
There is a Hyundai booklet at the dealer about CPO cars. It states it has the 10/100K as part of the Hyundia CPO.

Walk away. This shady dealer treatment was already on a thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts