Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2011 Sonata about 6 weeks ago. I like almost everything about it, but the engine is very noisy. I'm not talking about a loud growl when you accelerate, but it's almost sounds like there are 2 frequencies sounding at once. It's higher pitched and at times sounds like pinging or clattering. It's very hard to explain. Unfortunately, sometimes it's worse than others and when I've taken it to the dealer, it's not at it's worst. The dealer I purchased it from told me that it was normal, even though I drove another 2011 on their lot that did not have the sound. Another dealer told me that it was a loud fuel pump because of the high pressure of the injectors and that Hyundai is aware and is working on a new "cover" that should muffle the sound. When I contacted Hyundai directly, they did not know of any new "cover" being developed . Is anyone else here having issues with a similar noise? ... Assuming I've described it well enough to know :) The only thing I know to do is wait for it to get consistently worse, and take it in again. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm not an engine guy and I don't own a 2011 Sonata(yet) but from what I've read these noises are normal for D.I. engines.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When i was at the dealer getting my new Sonata the salesman also mentioned the cover that will help with the noise. Is it rumor or not who knows...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, the GDI engine is like diesel but running on the gasoline...so like joker would said, the "clank, clank" like noise is part of the plan... :p . It was bothering me little bit at the begging when i was outside the car and engine was running, but inside is quieter than in new Honda Accord (about 1 DB less). Now i love this sound... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Having the GDI motor is worth having a tick tick tick noise...everything is normal and I've never heard of Hyundai making a new cover to mask the noise.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiDealer @ Apr 20 2010, 08:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315129
Having the GDI motor is worth having a tick tick tick noise...everything is normal and I've never heard of Hyundai making a new cover to mask the noise.
It's the sound of great fuel economy! :grin:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
yep inside the car it is quiet, can't notice it but if you get out, tick tick tick. Which is fine as its normal but if Hyundai could come up with some more sound proofing or something to quiet it down a bit more outside it would make the car much more appealing to people who don't own it. My friends love the looks but the moment they heard the tick it was like "is that normal?" So potentially it could turn people off from taking a look at the car if they hear a Sonata at a stop light or running outside.

Is it normal for the tick to get louder and quieter? Like first thing it is pretty loud for me, I can be beside the back of th driver door and hear it ticking. A few times after driving for a while it actually sounds like any other car engine you can only hear it tick if you pop the hood.

·
Registered
18 Posts
its your High pressure fuel pump. the engine cover helps quite the noise(ive not heard of a re designed one though). its pretty normal. if it continues to get worse, you might want to leave it with the dealer for a day or so. bring it in when the noise it at its loudest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Souks @ Apr 20 2010, 10:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315156
yep inside the car it is quiet, can't notice it but if you get out, tick tick tick. Which is fine as its normal but if Hyundai could come up with some more sound proofing or something to quiet it down a bit more outside it would make the car much more appealing to people who don't own it. My friends love the looks but the moment they heard the tick it was like "is that normal?" So potentially it could turn people off from taking a look at the car if they hear a Sonata at a stop light or running outside.

Is it normal for the tick to get louder and quieter? Like first thing it is pretty loud for me, I can be beside the back of th driver door and hear it ticking. A few times after driving for a while it actually sounds like any other car engine you can only hear it tick if you pop the hood.
Thank you to everyone for their comments. This particular post gives me more reason to think think that the noise that I'm talking about may be different than the tick - tick I've heard described. The sound is very loud in the car. I've owned a diesel car. Though I can hear that kind of sound in my sonata, the sound I'm talking about is in addition to the slight diesel sound. I've yet to drive another sonata with the same sound. The exterior sound is not really that bad. But I know there is no way for anyone to identify the sound if you haven't heard it. I hope everyone here is right. Though the sound is irritating, I can deal if nothing is wrong. Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (mpkell @ Apr 21 2010, 07:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315225
Thank you to everyone for their comments. This particular post gives me more reason to think think that the noise that I'm talking about may be different than the tick - tick I've heard described. The sound is very loud in the car. I've owned a diesel car. Though I can hear that kind of sound in my sonata, the sound I'm talking about is in addition to the slight diesel sound. I've yet to drive another sonata with the same sound. The exterior sound is not really that bad. But I know there is no way for anyone to identify the sound if you haven't heard it. I hope everyone here is right. Though the sound is irritating, I can deal if nothing is wrong. Thanks again for your help
Just a shot in the dark question. Did you buy your car (1) off the lot, (2) was it from another dealer or (3) did you get it directly from the delivery truck and you are 100% sure that no customer/dealer rep or tech used it for some form of a performance checking or demonstration?

PS Having had family in the new car dealer business I have personally seen what new cars sometimes go through before being sold to an oblivious customer. My first new car's engine was a victim of exactly that pre sales abuse.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (mpkell @ Apr 21 2010, 06:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315225

Go test drive one and see if it sounds the same.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Does the underside of the Sonata's hood have a fire blanket? These are becoming less and less common nowadays, but they were always good for absorbing some engine noises when the hood is closed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (gq_neo @ Apr 21 2010, 07:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315236
Go test drive one and see if it sounds the same.
I have test driven at least one other Sonata and it did not have the sound. But after 2 dealers told me that it's normal, there's not much else I can do other than accept that mine is noisier than most or wait for whatever the problem is to get worse. I do think there's a tendency by service techs and service writers to assume that whatever noise a customer hears must be the noise common to GDI engines.

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (mpkell @ Apr 21 2010, 10:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315310
I have test driven at least one other Sonata and it did not have the sound. But after 2 dealers told me that it's normal, there's not much else I can do other than accept that mine is noisier than most or wait for whatever the problem is to get worse. I do think there's a tendency by service techs and service writers to assume that whatever noise a customer hears must be the noise common to GDI engines. I also own an Azera and my experience with Hyundai is that whatever you ask a question about is "normal for a Hyundai"
You could have them pull another new one up right next to yours (or even a couple) for comparison. Then it would be a lot less subjective and avoid the tendency of a tech making assumptions. Just a thought...

I have a pretty low tolerance threshold for mechanics that like to make a half baked diagnosis based on the probability that it's likely something they've seen/heard in the past. My experience has been pretty bad when this happens, so I don't usually just take thier word for it any more. Nobody spends more time in your ride than you do, so if something doesn't sound/feel right to you (especially if it has changed since you bought it) then I'd push the issue a little harder.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (jsmit86 @ Apr 20 2010, 09:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315140
It's the sound of great fuel economy! :grin:
Very true.

4cyl engines are inherently noisy, all aluminum engines are inherently noisy, and GDI
is inherently noisy. Just wait until 2015, when the new midsize cars will be 500lbs lighter
to improve gas mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Again, thanks to everyone for their feedback. After re-reading my last post, I think I was too harsh in my comments about the service techs and service writers. I truly believe that the people I've dealt with think they're right ... and they may be. They have all been very nice to deal with and the buying experience was excellent. Obviously it hasn't been all bad with the dealer .. I now own two Hyundais. Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion. If it continues to get consistently worse , hopefully they will be able to identify it. Again, thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, im new here! I'm a proud owner of a 2011 sonata gls!! Regarding engine noise, take a look at this video, skip to 3:25 and you will be able to hear the engine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I stopped to look over one of the very first 2011 Sonatas off the truck at a local dealer. It was a GLS, ticked so bad like someone forgot to put oil in it and turned me off completely. Later while my '08 was in for service I started a 2011 Ltd and took it for a drive. Wow, completely different engine sound, yes it ticked but so much quieter. I went back yet again to test drive an SE, which sounded like the Ltd. Point is, I'm convinced that something must have been wrong with the GLS to cause a louder than normal engine. If you believe your GDI engine seems abnormally loud, going to your dealer for a side-by-side comparison as suggested won't take much time and makes good sense. With the generally high technology and quality of today's engines, I think we all have come to associate super smooth and super quiet as highly desirable, but I am s-l-o-w-l-y coming to grips with the fuel pump tick. It's a conversation starter and 40+ mpg on the highway helps considerably!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My tick noise varies based on time of day. Was in today to get the Stone Guard re-done, installer didn't wrap the edges and had service take a listen, it was quiet but was loud first thing in the morning. The think it's like how a normal car engine is louder when it's cold and then quiets down as it warms up. I was about 5 degree this morning. But ticking is normal as one of the mechanics is very familiar with TDI engines as he used to work at VW and he can confirm that the high pressure of the direct injection is causing the noise similar to a TDI engine which apparently varies it's tick noise levels based on how cold or warm the engine is too. So I guess if the tick you have varies but is quiet after a while of driving then your all good and normal. If it stays real loud all the time then there is something wrong.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts