Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
So I've had my SF now for about 3 weeks and the instability in the ride is going to make me sell this thing. I've Googled the issue and read 1 or 2 posts about rough riding Santa Fes but nothing like what I'm experiencing. I drive a lot as a sales rep and can be very particular about my car. I traded a 2009 Toyota Venza V6 for my SF.
So here is the problem which does not exist on the (2) 2013 SF 2.0Ts I drove at the dealer. My 2014 has an excessive side to side rocking of the body when driving and stopped. I first noticed it when traveling at highway speed on a windy day. The SF is all over the road and the body is never still. After an hour on the road you get that feeling of having been on a boat. This rocking issue can also be felt when coming to a stop. Most vehicles have some movement after stopping unless you really play the pedal. My SF seems to have a front to back rock or even a resonation to where you can feel it for about 3-5 seconds after stopping. Another example is while sitting stopped in a turn lane, the passing traffic at speed causes the SF to rock side to side. Most cars will rock to some small degree when a truck comes flying by, but this is again excessive and lasts for a measurable period. Lastly, I do notice that the SF will rock easily with the smallest of force when sitting still. I can push on it with my hand and get the whole vehicle rocking side to side. I can't say that it's the fault of the tires completely, but the sidewalls on the Continental 19" seems very soft. Another odd fact is that the SF doesn't ride soft. Its one of the roughest riding vehicles I've ever owned. Even more so than a few sports cars I've owned. So, I went to the dealer and the head mechanic road with me in my SF and then again in a 2013 from the lot. He too noticed the movement but was very reserved in his comments. We did identify that the springs for the 2014 were different. The part number as well as the bump stop were different. The mechanic was going to call Hyundai to determine why the spring configuration was changed. I will speak with him again next week. I'm at wits end and would get rid of the SF in a second but I'd never get the money out of it. Any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated. I'll update this as more info becomes available.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have a new 2014 and haven't experienced anything as pronounced as you describe. Pleased with the car. Please let us know what you find out.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Check your tire pressure, due to transport you may be as high as 39-40 psi, dealers are supposed to lower it during the PDI but prior issues were traced back to this. Also check the steering mode you're in, this may explain some of the wandering you feel most people keep it in sport. Either way some detective work is needed, let us know!

BTW ......... :00000732: ... Enjoy the ........... :auto:

·
Banned
435 Posts
Something not right here. I, too, am very sensitive to car body motion, and I noticed nothing out of the ordinary during extensive test drives of the 2014 SFS 2.0T AWD Tech in varying road and weather conditions. Please DO report back on the resolution of your problem with this vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check your tire pressure, due to transport you may be as high as 39-40 psi, dealers are supposed to lower it during the PDI but prior issues were traced back to this. Also check the steering mode you're in, this may explain some of the wandering you feel most people keep it in sport.
That's good advice. I also find that brand new tires take a couple hundred miles to "wear" in. They tend to wander more during that time. It varies from brand to brand.

It's funny, you made a comment about how easy it was to push on your SFS and see it move. I went out into the garage last night to do that myself. As you said, it was quite easy to make the car move. However, it didn't take much more effort to get my 6,000lb F150 to move like that either.

As Zenar stated, this really seams to point to a shock/strut issue. Everything you state seems somewhat normal to me except the 3-5 second resonance you describe when stopping. That definitely should not be there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Tire PSI in within spec. Steering mode I prefer is sport, although I don't think any are very good. I always find myself bouncing off the lines, it's hard to find a balance. The SF drives straight, doesn't pull or doesn't have any of the typical alignment issues. There is a problem that needs correcting with this vehicle for certain. I just hope the dealer (beyond the mechanic) will admit to my concerns and assist without me jumping up and down and yelling.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Some drivers find the Sport mode is actually more sensitive than other modes although it feels more weighted. You may want to try driving in the Normal mode.

I also think I saw a post on this forum that mentioned his steering issue was fixed after a software update at the dealer.

·
Banned
532 Posts
What was your build date?

Early in production HMA revised front and rear alignment metrics to allow for better tracking and handling, it was either a TSB or campaign and if time provides I'll look for it on HTI.

·
Registered
870 Posts
He has a 2014 so new alignment is probably applied too. I think what you're noticing may be related to Continental tires. They have less material and soft side walls. That translates to more comfort and silence but can give this feeling of unstable ride. Not much you can do to verify other than replacing tires. Try to drive another one with exact same wheels/tires and see what you think. Also have dealer verify balance and alignment specs, just in case.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with the 'value' continental tires. They have a pretty soft sidewall
I have had a somewhat similar experience with the SF. Changed steering
mode, adjusted the PSI. Still feels like it gets buffeted around a lot. Looking
To replace the tires in the spring Hopefully it will feel 'safer' to drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the TBM was for year 2013, mine is a 2014. I would think any modifications would have been completed at the factory. Ill look at the build date and post it tomorrow. I see the dealer in the morning to. First step is an alignment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts