Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious what my tire/rim weight was on my Coupe - which is the stock SE rim with the OEM Hankook H426 tires. The weight is right around 43lbs per tire/rim and per Tirerack the weight of the tire is about 20lbs. So I'm looking at ~23lbs for the rim itself. Using Tirerack as a guide and keeping the parameters to the same rim size and a reasonable cost per rim (less than $200, I'm not spending $300-400 per rim for this car lol) there's literally just a couple available that are under 16lbs each. Plus I would be looking at going with the Pirelli P7 All Season Plus tire which is actually about a pound heavier than the OEM tire.
I was actually thinking the factory rim would be a lot heavier, but to try to shave off maybe 6-7lbs a wheel to reduce that amount of total unsprung weight seems silly - if it was more than 10lbs a wheel then yes it might make economic sense.
Ironically even moving to a 16" setup with the same rim/tire would not reduce it any more than the 17" one (however costs drop a it). However more logically when switching to an 18" tire/rim it drives up weights and cost so that would be taking a shot in foot.

·
22,793 Posts
A seven pound reduction per wheel, or 28 pounds of excess weight trimmed. That should increase your overal fuel efficency by 8-9 mpg's, yes? :wink2:

But I like your thinking and where you're going with this. Substitute a 28 pound mega-amp in the trunk and it's a zero sum game! No loss in mpg's! Big gain in tunes!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
The Pirelli tires are worth any extra weight. My P4 handle great in all weather conditions especially rain and the P7 are supposed to be better.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A seven pound reduction per wheel, or 28 pounds of excess weight trimmed. That should increase your overal fuel efficency by 8-9 mpg's, yes? :wink2:

But I like your thinking and where you're going with this. Substitute a 28 pound mega-amp in the trunk and it's a zero sum game! No loss in mpg's! Big gain in tunes!
LOL you know it, Rich! If I got that kind of return I'd be all over that. And thanks, but I think I'll try to keep the overall curb weight where it is (and certainly not add to it unnecessarily!) and accept the MPG's I'm getting now, although I do expect it to go up a bit more over time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was actually thinking the factory rim would be a lot heavier, but to try to shave off maybe 6-7lbs a wheel to reduce that amount of total unsprung weight seems silly
I'm lead to believe that sprung weight effects mpg more than regular weight...which would make it less silly, but I don't know the physics(?) to back that up. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...rSpecial=false&filterWeight=All&filterNew=All I find it interesting that 17's are the second lightest rims they have...I wish they were cheaper. I just got my Coupe, so I'll spend a year recovering and get new summer rims next summer, getting winter tires for the stock 16's at the end of this summer...giving me time to find cheaper/lighter/better summer rims.

I wish I could take this list and sort it more than alphabetically...I love the weight list, but I can't see what they look like conveniently or the bolt pattern or cost... http://www.wheelweights.net/wheel-weight-alpha.pdf

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I could take this list and sort it more than alphabetically...I love the weight list, but I can't see what they look like conveniently or the bolt pattern or cost... http://www.wheelweights.net/wheel-weight-alpha.pdf
Go back to the site and save it as an xls file, then you can sort column D. As for seeing what they look like, you'd have to search for each and see.
lol, looking at that list I can't believe how light the SSR Type C is (13lbs), I still have a set of 17's that were for my Passat. Too bad they are 5X112 :(

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For 13 Coupe's wheel weight list, here's the original site:
WheelWeights.net - Database of Wheel Weights

Save the Wheel Weights List as an xls and sort the weight column first, and then the wheel size column if you want to make it easier to compare weights in a give size.

Sadly this list is going on 4 years since it was last updated so it won't have the latest wheels out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW, from what I remember reducing unsprung weight affects performance but doesn't affect mpg much differently than reducing weight else where. You may notice slightly better acceleration and braking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bet it doesn't matter much when you're up to highway speed, but would help most in town. Unfortunately for me, I'm looking for improvements at speed, since I spend most of my time on the highway. Still... I found another list: Wheel weights - Mechanical Database I was impressed when I saw several from a brand called Velox on both lists. I think they're both old lists, though...I went to Velox's site and clicked on find a local dealer...Discount Tire doesn't have any of the really light ones I wanted to check out (neither did Velox's site): PG-Rev10 (11.5lbs), PG-Rev5 (12.1lbs), PG-5s (12.5lbs), all 17". There's also a VX-6r (14.5lbs). Apparently Velox is also sold (installed?) through Costco...
Tomorrow when I'm bored at work, I'll try the xls thing, thanks, Speed!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Buying really light rims is a good thing but you have to manage your driving more.
You have to have higher tire pressure or you will ruin your rims on the first pothole you hit and you cant hit anything on the road ever or you will wreck a rim.
With that said weight loss you save about 1- 2 mpg, is it worth it for you, only you know.
Some people see a bigger mpg increase but you have to drive differently than the average bear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Buying really light rims is a good thing but you have to manage your driving more.
You have to have higher tire pressure or you will ruin your rims on the first pothole you hit and you cant hit anything on the road ever or you will wreck a rim.
With that said weight loss you save about 1- 2 mpg, is it worth it for you, only you know.
Some people see a bigger mpg increase but you have to drive differently than the average bear.
I consider myself still in the learning stage and with time to learn the easy way...through other people's experience. It's definitely not better on the budget if I buy wheels intended for a subcompact only to find out that the compact Elantra bends/breaks it. So I need/want to find the compromise between looks, cost, weight and strength. If I need to cross the lightest ones off the list, so be it.

·
22,793 Posts
Sometimes you have to give up something to get something. The trick is figuring it out. And only through methodical research and asking questions will you make that journey. You've got a good start.

But when you do decide? You'll be forevermore pleased with the decision you made. And, trust me, you'll know it when you have hit that combination. Everyone on this forum has walked the path you're starting to travel down.

Most members on here are more than willing to discuss the successes and shortcomings in dealing with rims...

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Substitute a 28 pound mega-amp in the trunk and it's a zero sum game! No loss in mpg's! Big gain in tunes!
That isn't zero-sum, that is win-win. 28-pounds of sprung weight replacing 28-pounds of unsprung should give you better mileage (especially around town, stop and start - less inertia, less rolling resistance), etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That isn't zero-sum, that is win-win. 28-pounds of sprung weight replacing 28-pounds of unsprung should give you better mileage (especially around town, stop and start - less inertia, less rolling resistance), etc.
"The general rule of thumb is that for every pound of weight that you add in wheel/tire combo, is equivalent to adding 2x that amount of weight anywhere else in the car. This only applies to straight line accelerating and braking. Weight also plays a role in turning (gyroscopic effect) and in handling due to your suspension having to damp all of the road forces. When it comes to wheels and cars, lighter is always better for performance."
- Wheel weights - Mechanical Database

SpeedRacerXT: "Save the Wheel Weights List as an xls and sort the weight column first, and then the wheel size column if you want to make it easier to compare weights in a give size."

My work computer gave me one option for saving the file: adobe acrobat document. Granted, may have been cool with my Apple ][c, but my comparative computer literacy has declined greatly since the early 90's. I'll try at home and see if I can save it as an xls and then take it to work where I can print off the bits I want.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
It's an HTML Table. You don't really want to SAVE the file.

Click and drag to select the entire table (only).

Right-click and select "Copy" (or Ctrl-C).

Open Microsoft Excel or LibreOffice Calc or GnuMeric or your spreadsheet of choice.

Right-click and select "Paste - Match Destination Formatting".

Save as .xls from Excel.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"The general rule of thumb is that for every pound of weight that you add in wheel/tire combo, is equivalent to adding 2x that amount of weight anywhere else in the car. This only applies to straight line accelerating and braking. Weight also plays a role in turning (gyroscopic effect) and in handling due to your suspension having to damp all of the road forces. When it comes to wheels and cars, lighter is always better for performance."
- Wheel weights - Mechanical Database

SpeedRacerXT: "Save the Wheel Weights List as an xls and sort the weight column first, and then the wheel size column if you want to make it easier to compare weights in a give size."

My work computer gave me one option for saving the file: adobe acrobat document. Granted, may have been cool with my Apple ][c, but my comparative computer literacy has declined greatly since the early 90's. I'll try at home and see if I can save it as an xls and then take it to work where I can print off the bits I want.
Sorry 13 Coupe, like Tiger said that one is HTML so the Excel spreadsheet idea would take more work. I was referring to your WheelWeights.net - Database of Wheel Weights data for saving as a sortable spreadsheet.
I think it's a shame that these databases aren't routinely kept up-to-date - I would think there would be a more than casual interest in this data.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,803 Posts
Can't go wrong with lighter wheels. I went from 26 lb OEMs to 18 lb. Better steering, acceleration, braking the whole nine yards. There is very little downside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts