Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I purchased a new 2013 SE turbo yesterday and noticed that I can feel the car down shift when letting off the gas at about 35 mph and letting it coast, its not smooth at all and very noticeable. Is this to be expected? Thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Same here.. 2013 turbo. Got used to it and I actually blip the throttle just before it happens hahah. Kind of my own way of rev matching

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yup, exactly the same speed and actually only noticed it this year. I've just gotten used to it, though it is a tad annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Keep in mind the transmission is adaptive, and will adapt itself somewhat to your driving style. It may not be the same in the future as it is now. I have a 13 turbo myself, and don't have a problem with it. But that's just me.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
You may be feeling that throttle pull back and not an actual trans shift. Designed for fuel economy of course.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
From my understanding the fuel injectors cut off while coasting, so the PCM downshifts the transmission the keep the engine spinning fast enough to power the alternator, water pump, etc.... Once the car is slow enough (about 15mph), you'll feel the transmission "let go" as the torque converter unlocks and the injectors start back up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
From my understanding the fuel injectors cut off while coasting, so the PCM downshifts the transmission the keep the engine spinning fast enough to power the alternator, water pump, etc.... Once the car is slow enough (about 15mph), you'll feel the transmission "let go" as the torque converter unlocks and the injectors start back up.
Yup. If you have the instant fuel economy gauge selected on the LCD display you can see that after you let off the gas and coast for a little bit, the fuel usage will drop down to zero and the transmission will downshift to keep the engine RPM up high enough until your speed drops low enough that the fuel kicks in again. It's a fuel economy thing I think. Takes a little getting used to at first as the engine braking from this tends to be more than with other cars.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
+1 on this! Also, remember our cars have a pretty slick alternator that only charges when the car is coasting. I would imagine that also contributes to the feeling.

Like others, I have just gotten used to it. Utilizing the manual function/steering wheel paddles (IMHO) helps to get over it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts