Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what the reservoir is that is on the right side of the car under the hood? (if you have the hood open and are facing the car)
It sits under the hood in front of the drivers side. I accidentally put a little bit of wiper fluid in it, thinking it was where it went. I just started to pour then immediately stopped so hardly any would be in there. But I'd like to know what it is.
I thought it may be power steering fluid but research on the net says I have an electric steering system or some such that says it doesn't have power steering fluid. I don't know anything about this sort of thing.
The car is a 2016 Sonata sport tech.
I did realize immediately where the wiper fluid is supposed to go.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what the reservoir is that is on the right side of the car under the hood? (if you have the hood open and are facing the car)
It sits under the hood in front of the drivers side. I accidentally put a little bit of wiper fluid in it, thinking it was where it went. I just started to pour then immediately stopped so hardly any would be in there. But I'd like to know what it is.
I thought it may be power steering fluid but research on the net says I have an electric steering system or some such that says it doesn't have power steering fluid. I don't know anything about this sort of thing.
The car is a 2016 Sonata sport tech.
I did realize immediately where the wiper fluid is supposed to go.
Can you post a picture. The engine bay is slightly different on the 2.0T and 2.4 configurations.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pretty sure the only reservoir on the driver's side of the engine in both the 2.0 and the 2.4 is for brake fluid. Did it have a black cap and was it right up against the firewall? If so, that is it. Depending on how much you poured in there, you might want to get it flushed pretty soon. Brake fluid capacity is only 3/4 of a quart so even with just a little bit of wiper fluid in there it could cause problems.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Get the brake system FLUSHED by a dealer ASAP. Dangerous with anything other than brake fluid in the system.

Most brake fluids absorb water. This is why many car manufacturers tell you to flush the brake system every two years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get the brake system FLUSHED by a dealer ASAP. Dangerous with anything other than brake fluid in the system.

Most brake fluids absorb water. This is why many car manufacturers tell you to flush the brake system every two years.
Well I've had the car for about a year and a half (it was a demo so its probably been on the road for 2 years) and its got over 46,000 kilometers (29,000 miles) so it would be about due for this anyway. Thats the bright side of looking at things.
I did this yesterday in my driveway and have only driven to my office today which is 57 km (35 miles) and I made an appointment at the hyundai dealer up the road 3.8 kilometers (2 miles) from here.
So hopefully that much driving will not have done anything damaging.
I am not catching a break before Christmas. The day before I did this a bit of a storm hit my city and at an intersection I hit sheer ice (going slowly) and bumped another car lightly. Just enough to crack my bumper and put a hole in it. No other damage but have to get the bumper replaced and I have a $1,000 deductible.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had my brake fluid flushed at about 42,000 KM so it's about time too for you.
How much does your dealer charge for the brake flush over in Ontario? It would be interesting to compare with what we pay in BC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my brake fluid flushed at about 42,000 KM so it's about time too for you.
How much does your dealer charge for the brake flush over in Ontario? It would be interesting to compare with what we pay in BC.
I originally called the dealer where I bought the car in my hometown of Brantford. They quoted me $112 + tax. They were going to take me in at 4 pm but #1 I'd have to drive 57 km from my office and #2 I'd probably be late for my wifes office Christmas Party which is 30 minutes away from that. So I found a Hyundai dealer ship just up the road from my office that will take me at 2:30 and they quoted me $104 + tax. I didn't question the inconsistency in pricing since it was cheaper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geez I've had my 2015 Honda CRV for 3 years and its got 100,000 kilometers on it and I've never changed the brake fluid. Of course I've never mixed it with wiper fluid but I guess I should get it changed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just called Honda and they said my maintenance minders will tell my when I need fluid changes. Apparently the brake fluid is every 3 years regardless of kilometers.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think maybe you got a gentle Honda Dealer who doesn't upsell as much as Hyundai.

Geez I've had my 2015 Honda CRV for 3 years and its got 100,000 kilometers on it and I've never changed the brake fluid. Of course I've never mixed it with wiper fluid but I guess I should get it changed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think maybe you got a gentle Honda Dealer who doesn't upsell as much as Hyundai.
No my Honda dealer I think is bad for up selling. I quit going there for oil changes because of the up selling. Every other oil change cost me $225 because they said they had to service the brakes and other stuff etc.
They go by the code reminders that come up and stick with factory recommended servicing . The cheap oil change cost me $150 cause they say they rotate the tires. I found a garage that will change my for $89 and throw the tire rotation in for free.
I called them today as I wanted to see what they charged me for changing the brake fluid in my CRV (was just seeing a comparison to my Sonata) and they said I'll get a reminder alert about 3 years in. Its certainly getting close to that.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Owner manual calls out each reservior and what should placed in each

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
... and my daughters '06 XD Elantra had 90K miles on it when I flushed the brake fluid. When it was totaled at 143K miles it was 12 years old and still had all the original calipers and master cylinder and was working just fine. Must admit though that the brakes felt better after the 90K flush and fill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts