Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bit of a scare yesterday evening.
I was driving at 90km/h around dusk (830pm), with no cars to the side or in front. Suddenly, the "emergency braking" came on and the car began to ding at me. The accelerator refused to respond and I felt the car slowing down. This lasted a few moments, and then things returned to normal. Fortunately, I did not freak out the car behind me too much, but I can imagine this causing an accident.
When I got home, I inspected the windshield camera (over the rear-view mirror), thinking maybe I had hit a particularly large insect (I think I would have noticed that as well!), but no, it was all clear.
I spoke to my Hyundai dealership today, but they brushed it off as maybe a reflection on the road.
Anybody have similar experience?

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid Limited
130 Posts
I was driving at 90km/h around dusk (830pm), with no cars to the side or in front. Suddenly, the "emergency braking" came on and the car began to ding at me. The accelerator refused to respond and I felt the car slowing down. This lasted a few moments, and then things returned to normal. Fortunately, I did not freak out the car behind me too much, but I can imagine this causing an accident.
When I got home, I inspected the windshield camera (over the rear-view mirror), thinking maybe I had hit a particularly large insect (I think I would have noticed that as well!), but no, it was all clear.
I spoke to my Hyundai dealership today, but they brushed it off as maybe a reflection on the road.
The only times I've encountered "unexpected" braking is when I've had adaptive cruise control enabled along a (curvy) roadway in which there were no clear lane markings (left and right), and there were parked cars along the side of the road in the opposite direction of travel. In this scenario, and I can almost predict when it will occur now, the car will apply brakes as I enter a right-hand turn if there are vehicles parked on the opposite side of the road along that curve.

I am assuming the cause was due to the vehicle not being able to clearly define the boundaries of the lane of travel, and when the (parked) vehicles were detected in front, as I was entering the turn, the brake assist may have been triggered. I've not experienced this when driving on other similarly curvy roads in which there were markings both left and right, more clearly defining the travel lane.

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI non turbo 40k miles
353 Posts
These systems have limitations. On top of the above answer, did you happen to drive under an overpass during a sunny day ? A sudden change in the brightness due to the overpass shadow may fool these systems. Sun reflecting in the glass of a car in front of you may also be a trigger

This is why I don't use the Smart Cruise Control. As mentioned by the member above, there are limitations that can catch you by surprise.

·
Registered
2022 Elantra Limited Hybrid
185 Posts
It's not just the camera, but the radar unit in the grill. I'm not even sure if the camera is used for emergency braking. I think it's mainly just for the lane keeping/following.

·
Registered
2021 Elantra Ultimate Tech
255 Posts
The one time this exact thing happened to me was in the winter when a car drove by me and splashed slush and dirty road mess. Nearly gave me a heart attack, and had someone been close behind me they'd have likely slammed into me. What it taught me was to never rely on these "safety" devices too much and be ready for anything. I debated turning that one off right then but I waited. If it happens again I think that's the end of it.

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI non turbo 40k miles
353 Posts
These systems were supposed to enhance safety.. and sure they do but it appears they can also cause quite a trouble. Imagine this happening on a busy 6 lane highway at speed. I was saying it in another topic, I never use the Smart Cruise Control for this reason, had it scare me 2-3 times, I've had enough, now using only the normal Cruise Control

1 - 7 of 7 Posts