Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before everyone starts to shout out "wheel alignment and balance", let me tell you the situation.

About a week ago, I take my 09 Accent in for an oil change and a tire rotation at approx 20,000 miles. Next day, I'm driving on the interstate and my steering wheel starts to wobble at 65 mph and up. So immediately, I think that the wheels need to be aligned and balanced.

I go back to the shop, tell the guy and he says that he recommends balancing the tires when you rotate them (He's actually a really honest guy, not some typical mechanic trying to rip you off). As I'm waiting for the guys to finish, he calls me into the garage to come and see something.

The front tires (keep in mind, these were the back tires for the last 8,000 miles or so) have developed obvious "flat spots" on the inner half of the tread on my tire. If this is confusing, I'll explain. I don't mean the inner sidewalls of the tire, what I mean is if your looking at the tread around the outside of the tire, the tread that is closest to the engine is what I'm talking about. If you run your hand along this, you feel that it stops curving and begins to go flat for a few inches. This occurs along the entire tire. There is still sufficient tread left on the tire, but these flat spots are pretty worn down.

Meanwhile, the back tires (they were the front tires for the last 8,000 miles) are fine. I'm riding on the stock SE tires, which are Kuhmo Solus KH16 205/45R16. I mean, the back tires are kinda worn down from use, but it's evenly worn down.

It's not like the back wheels drive the car or anything, they just follow. I don't really drive the car hard, it's just a lot of highway miles because of work. I'll throw it hard into a turn every once in a while, but not that often at all.

Me, the mechanic, and a few other people have come up with what we think is the problem, but I want to see what you guys can come up with. I really appreciate the help, and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
My girlfriends tires on her car were worn how you describe, on the rear tires. i did some research, some websites suggested faulty suspension components as the culprit.

Not out of the question, her car has over 100k miles on it. She took it to the dealer, they could not find anything wrong with the suspension, but sold her new tires. She did get a screaming deal on some nice tires and since she wants to trade the car in within the next year so I cant fault her for going that route. No question, suspension work would have cost much more than tires at the dealership.

On the other hand, I have seen other websites claim that the "worn suspension components" can sometimes be false, and its just improper balancing of the tires.

I find it hard to believe your car with only 20k miles has severely worn suspension components so I am inclined to believe the wheels werent balanced all that great to begin with. That, or there is some defect with the tires, or they were damaged somehow (hard hit from a pothole, etc..)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (omg grip @ Jul 26 2010, 02:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344909
My girlfriends tires on her car were worn how you describe, on the rear tires. i did some research, some websites suggested faulty suspension components as the culprit.

Not out of the question, her car has over 100k miles on it. She took it to the dealer, they could not find anything wrong with the suspension, but sold her new tires. She did get a screaming deal on some nice tires and since she wants to trade the car in within the next year so I cant fault her for going that route. No question, suspension work would have cost much more than tires at the dealership.

On the other hand, I have seen other websites claim that the "worn suspension components" can sometimes be false, and its just improper balancing of the tires.

I find it hard to believe your car with only 20k miles has severely worn suspension components so I am inclined to believe the wheels werent balanced all that great to begin with. That, or there is some defect with the tires, or they were damaged somehow (hard hit from a pothole, etc..)

See, this is what we came up with too. We figure the only thing that can logically cause this is the rear suspension, specifically the shocks. Being the Accent SE, it has a "sportier" suspension setup. Every time the car goes over a bump, the "stiffer" shocks in the back slam the wheels back down to the road. This repeated motion, over and over again, can cause the flat spots that I'm seeing. At least this is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

But again, like you said, the car only has 20k on it. I find it very hard to believe that the engineering on this car was that crappy.

So what is my next step in your opinion? I don't think the dealers have anything to do with the tires, but should I take it there anyways and see what they say about my situation anyways? Or just call Kumho and see what they can do?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the same issue going on on my 4dr gls and no problem can be found and Kephalonitis nice to see another greek on the forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to take it in today.... but then my town got slammed with three ambulance calls back to back to back (I'm a volunteer EMT) So I ended up riding an ambulance for four straight hours of my life haha. I'm going to try and take it in this week and I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (accentJM @ Jul 27 2010, 02:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345229
I have the same issue going on on my 4dr gls and no problem can be found and Kephalonitis nice to see another greek on the forum

Just cuz it says Kephalonitis, you automatically assume I'm Greek huh? Your **** straight I am!! hahahaha :grin: And proud indeed. Sucks to hear they couldn't find a problem. Did they do anything for you at all? I'll let you know what happens with mine

·
Registered
215 Posts
**** right only one place in this world named kephalonia lol and no man Im here in greece now so the car is in NY when i get back ill pm and tell whats going on

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Show me your align numbers... then I'll make valid reply based on how the car is aimed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jul 29 2010, 12:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345888
Show me your align numbers... then I'll make valid reply based on how the car is aimed.
Not to sound like an idiot or anything, but how exactly can I get those align numbers? It doesn't sound like anything I can do by myself. Hyundai is apparently having this huge sale this weekend, so they can't see my car until sometime next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts