Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2010 3 door Accent with 12k miles. Yesterday I swapped the stock wheels for a set of steelies with snow tires. I noticed my front tires were close to bald on the inside but fine on the outside. I'm going to drop it off for an alignment but I am curious if anyone has seen this with a brand new Accent? Also the car does track straight down the road if I let my hands off the wheel.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (NY Accent @ Nov 29 2010, 01:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375548
Hi,

I have a 2010 3 door Accent with 12k miles. Yesterday I swapped the stock wheels for a set of steelies with snow tires. I noticed my front tires were close to bald on the inside but fine on the outside. I'm going to drop it off for an alignment but I am curious if anyone has seen this with a brand new Accent? Also the car does track straight down the road if I let my hands off the wheel.

Thanks
John

How much air you keeping ?

How often you rotate ?

Find out if shop is going to actually set up the car for purpose to minimize problems, or just 1 of them "it's in spec" kinda thing align checks..

Toe the fronts for 0.00 to +0.08 max total... look for camber to be balanced side to side.. dont think you can do anything with rears,, but if rear is indeed adjustable, shoot for 0.00 to +0.04 max total at rear (I have not looked at 2010 Accent rear yet..

·
Registered
265 Posts
QUOTE (Leprakong @ Dec 1 2010, 01:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376010
I actually noticed that problem with my 2010 when I swapped out my OEM wheels with the ones I have now.  They're bald in all sorts of odd places.  Like, in patches.
In patches hmm. Do you dry steer your car? (moving the steering wheel back and forth while the car isn't moving? That will cause balding in patches....

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
The only other thing I can think that would cause bald patches would be if you're locking up your brakes somehow... ebraking corners? lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the same problem, im on my 24k right now :( only like 5 months old, anyways and my car vibrates vigorously and i went to get my wheels balanced and they told me it would would be waste of money because they claim my tires are already bald... So I'm going to my dealership about that, because my mother has an elantra(we got them at the same time, same tires, same mileage) and hers are still good. I don't drive liek an idiot either so somethings up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my 09 was awfully out of alignment at about 6000 miles, has 9000 now, too busy to do anything about it, got new tires today and getting alignment tomorrow, but, the tires were toast in the front, needed winter treads anyways, but, it was bad.

·
Registered
265 Posts
QUOTE (Leprakong @ Dec 4 2010, 09:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376891
idk.  I burnt out a few times just messing around one day. like only 2-3 times. That's not enough to bald my tires.
Burn outs actually cause very even wear unless you were "wheel hopiing" then all that could happen but alot of worse problems come from wheel hop like broken CV joints and the like... I should post pictures of my Falkens I pulled of my accent the end of last year bald perfectly even down to near slicks...

·
Registered
208 Posts
My Friend, you are not the only one... we where replacing front tires every 6000kms...so a oil change and tires every time....and the car was aligned, There is a problem with the car. the inside of the tires wore out and scallopped....we eventually got rid of the car....Its not a fixable issue, so either keep buying cheap tires(expensive ones arent any better, we wore down Falkens in 2 months)....

·
Registered
810 Posts
I find it interesting to note that everyone claiming problems don't have SEs, so whatever it is it's unrelated to the different SE suspension. I've had three sets of tires on my car (stock all-seasons, one older set of winters I had from another car and my new winters this year) and none of them have wear issues.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
just took my 18's and put back my 14's and noticed my front tires have the same issue. even though i got the car aligned when i first put the 18's on. hmmm interesting...

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have 5700 hard city/suburban miles on my '10 GS and the tires still look brand new. No odd wear patterns at all.

A bent rim will cause tires to wear in patches as I had that happen to my 84 GTI.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have the same issue, the inside of my passenger side front tire is completely bald. But I have 40000 mi on my car. All of my other tires are fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
last year i needed new tires (around 25K on OEM SE) the passenger front had a REALLY bald spot , all others were wore normal. the tire guy said i needed an alignment (didn't have time so just put on new tires (Toyo Proxy4's) left and instantly it was pulling to the Right BAD. all the way home, if i let off the wheel it would turn Right immediately. next day i took it for an alignment, the guy worked on it for quite a bit and had it perfect. i took it for a spin, still pulled bad (not as bad, but close) a few day's later i took it to Hyundai and told them what it was doing. they worked on it and said it needed a "little" tweak to the alignment but very little. he said it'll probably still pull to the right. he blamed the tire choice: they're directional tires, he recommended NOT using them. sure nuff it still pulled slightly to the right, until i had around 10,000 miles on them, now they pull straight as can be.

due for new tires again in a few months. not sure what i'll go with...i know the Proxy4's are not good in snow/ice. probably just go for something cheap (likely the OEM's)

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I recently bought a tire tread depth gauge from Amazon for $4 with free shipping. My current Yokohama Avid TRZs have 21,000ish miles on them and still have exactly 8/32 in every tread on every tire. They started at 11/32. That's with only 1 tire rotation lol. The OE tires wore very unevenly (slow on the inside, faster on the outer edge). That problem doesn't seem to be plaguing the Yokohamas, mysteriously.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts