Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just like to have a horrible nightmare story with my Hyundai Sonata 2005 in last 2 years. I desperately need your legal helps, suggestions and comments.

On 02/22/2012, My Sonata 2005 just past 70,914 Miles and I was suggested by young guy name "Tony" to change my Timing Belt and etc. I spent $967.43 to let Lehigh Valley, PA Hyundai Service Center done the job. At that point, my car just have a tire issue. After 2 weeks, I hear some noise when I first time start car. I called Tony. He told me because it's new belt and I'd better to tolerant it. At April, I still hear noise and little bit loud. I call them again. They let me left the car with them several days. They wrote it down as they can't find any problem and adjust timing belt little. They sold me about annual State Inspection package this time. After that, I changed Sparkle Plug and Engine Oil with top line product myself in the same year. I always use Hyundai Genuine Oil and Air Filters once day one and do this maintenance job myself when I purchased the car as brand new one. I tolerant this problem several months and called them again. They still tell me the same answer. I was so busy for my job and life. I can't always let them keep my car for several days to find nothing.

On 04/08/2013 at 88, 055 miles, I hear a belt broken sound while I am driving on I-78 and engine is completely shut down. I called them ask for road assistant and was told to paid for towing or solve myself. I managed myself to get their place. They told me that I have to pay myself for the repairs. After several days, they called and informed me that they found the engine was broken. They will cover for these repairs. In last year, I already talk to totally different Manager and Service Reps. They also told me that they had difficult to find replace engine. Until 05/01/2013, I was called for the job done.

I changed engine oil with Hyundai Genuine Oil Filter and 5 Gallon Castrol High Mileage 10W40 myself last summer. And I wish I can keep this car for another 5 years. However, I notice in Nov. the oil check light sometimes flashing in an barely occasion while I drive on highway ramp and stop at traffic. I'm NOT pay too much attention about this issue. I know if I call them, they will keep my car for several days and find nothing. That's about their service and skills.

Last month of 8th, I try to pull my car from heavy snow in dark evening and the car start as normal and was NOT working after several times back and forth to pull out. With several light on, I can start the car at all. I give up my efforts to drive car out in that evening. I called my job off in second morning and try to start it again. It was OK and out of from the snow. I immediately drive to LV Hyundai Service Center and notice that the engine check light is solid ON while I stop at traffic. They call me afternoon and tell me they can't find any engine oil in my car and the engine is broken again and ask me about engine oil and filter purchase receipts. I usually don't keep these small purchase receipt for my normal life. However, I can show them my a couple of old replacement Hyundai Genuine Oil Filters in my garage. I bring two used filter and one air filter. I argue with them NO CAR should running under engine oil while my gas tank is 80% full. Your engine has a big design defect. You should repair or replace it again under your all your warranty claims and consumer protection laws. I talk to them back and forth several time already. They still refuse to do so. I don't have my car for more than one month. Please help me if you all can.

At this point, my Hyundai Sonata 2005 is less then 9 years and 96697 miles. The last repair services was less than 11 months. Are they legally to charge again for the repair?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If this is your story,

You last changed the oil in summer

Oil light flashes in Nov (Did you check the oil level? First time a car does this you stop and check it right then)

and now in March its on all the time.(Did you check the oil level?)

Dealer finds car with no oil in it.

This repair is on your dime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

No, It's NOT On all the time even now. It's only solid On at traffic stop after I pull out from last month heavy snow. Based on my experience with this car and all services they provide in past several years. I know they will tell me the same thing. They can't find anything wrong. That's why I think it's good time to let them find what's going on for their job. I still can drive the car like normal. Since last Nov., only less than 5% time Check Oil Light flashing in several seconds in some kinds of road situation. Is it possible the engine oil dry out so quickly? I only drive less then 10 miles to their place directly at several traffic stops and one highway ramp. I didn't feel any abnormal things about my car except this light flashing occasionally. Is the engine so vulnerable? I'm not that knowledgeable about car.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Has the oil light been on since November? Like GregL said it does sound like possibly your fault.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Is the engine needed replacement again?
If for some reason it leaked enough oil out to wreck an emgine, you should have paid more attention to the flashing/solid warning lights on your dash. If you re-read your posts there was a lot of "I was very involved with my life" statements when you talked about those warning lights. At the very least, you should have checked the oil level when the warning lights come on. Let this be a lesson in your life. I've found the more expensive lessons I've had in my life were some of the bests lessons I have had. Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I changed engine oil with Hyundai Genuine Oil Filter and 5 Gallon Castrol High Mileage 10W40 myself last summer. And I wish I can keep this car for another 5 years. However, I notice in Nov. the oil check light sometimes flashing in an barely occasion while I drive on highway ramp and stop at traffic. I'm NOT pay too much attention about this issue. I know if I call them, they will keep my car for several days and find nothing. That's about their service and skills.

Sorry, never let that kind of issue go, catastrophic! Snow could have somehow helped oil to leak out, damaged plug, torn pan but a flashing light, and, as you never brought it back in to dealer, there is nothing to prove they looked at it. Then you kept driving it, phew, me thinks you are in deep do do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't keep driving it at all. After I pulled out from iced snow, my neighbor and I opened the hood check the engine little. We didn't find anything significant wrong. That's why I immediately drove to LV Service Center for less than 8 miles. Also, I didn't feel anything wrong except the Check Oil Light is On at stopping traffic while I was driving on my way. Do you think the engine was broken? They told me it will ruin the engine only at beginning.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What you will get here, is a lot of opinions. Those opinions will be based on information that you provided. That information is biased, to say the least. If you really believe you have a case against this shop, speak to a law professional.

I'm betting it will cost you more money and time to take legal action, than the car is worth. It's your call though.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
I didn't keep driving it at all. After I pulled out from iced snow, my neighbor and I opened the hood check the engine little. We didn't find anything significant wrong. That's why I immediately drove to LV Service Center for less than 8 miles. Also, I didn't feel anything wrong except the Check Oil Light is On at stopping traffic while I was driving on my way. Do you think the engine was broken? They told me it will ruin the engine only at beginning.
When you 'checked it a little' did you check the oil? Sorry, but if you've been seeing the check engine light for months and it's been on solid at times you've seriously neglected your car ad the costs are going to be on your shoulders.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That hilarious. People would open the hood, look at the engine, see that is still there and say "didn't see nothing bad in there".
How about READING the owner manual, it tells all that you need to check, including fluid levels.

·
22,793 Posts
Good luck with this. You would probably be better off with another vehicle. And use this experience as a "lesson learned" in the proper care of an automobile and paying attention to the warning signs and lights. Even the very best car is going to give up if not properly maintained or serviced. The service recommendations in your owner's manual reads "Replace and Inspect," not "We Suggest You Think About It."

I'm afraid you've contributed to your own dilemma this time and not very likely to get much support, either legally, or from Hyundai in solving the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your understanding about my situation

Anyhow, I drive my car back like "normal" car round-trip at beginning 8-9 miles on Saturday. Before I drive out from shopper parking lot, I check the oil stick. It set in low mark. I dump 4qts. Castrol 10W40 High Mileage Oil into the engine. The car run like "normal" to me in first 7-8 miles within 10-12 miles travel to my house. Until last 2-3 miles in local traffic stop, the Check Engine Oil Light goes ON again. Once car running, the light goes OFF all the time. Yesterday, I drove almost the same routine and put some Lucas Heavy Duty Engine Staff in. It sound a little better. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Anyhow, I drive my car back like "normal" car round-trip at beginning 8-9 miles on Saturday. Before I drive out from shopper parking lot, I check the oil stick. It set in low mark. I dump 4qts. Castrol 10W40 High Mileage Oil into the engine. The car run like "normal" to me in first 7-8 miles within 10-12 miles travel to my house. Until last 2-3 miles in local traffic stop, the Check Engine Oil Light goes ON again. Once car running, the light goes OFF all the time. Yesterday, I drove almost the same routine and put some Lucas Heavy Duty Engine Staff in. It sound a little better. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
:eek: The total oil capacity of you car is 4.5 quarts. If your dip stick is at the low mark, you are about 1/2 a quart low! You severly over serviced your engine, which is as bad as the oil being severly low. Over servicing your oil will cause seals to blow out.

Have you ever read your owners manual? :blink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I let other local auto repair check the job they did for me last year. The knowledgeable mechanic tell me what they did last year for my car was replaced a short block like piston things NOT the whole new engine. He is going to ask me if he can put a used 95k miles whole engine(~$1600) on plus labor. I'm still wondering about warranty from Hyundai. Any body has any good suggestion at this point? Are they legally void my warranty?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me ask this forums:

1. Any car engine repair under warranty policy. It should be replaced by new one.

2. Any big repair jobs for one big component like my car engine for less than a year. This big repair should still cover by repair warranty.

3. How can I continue talk to Hyundai Motor USA? My mechanic suggest me to do. He think Hyundai should still cover the warranty for several technical reasons......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts