Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll admit that I have this problem with most cars. I dont understand why so many car makers make the head rest tilt dramatically FORWARD and the Sonata is no different. It's s bad posture and hurts my neck. Besides if I wear my hair in a bun I literally have to push the chair way back and can't sit back on the seat.

It seems to me that the Sonata's head rest can not tilt to a straight up and down position. What options do I have? Do I need to take the car to a body shop to have this corrected? :innocent:

·
Registered
486 Posts
My wife had the same complaint but only while sitting in the passenger side of the SE. We tried other cars cars at different dealers and the same thing. Never a problem with the Limited or GLS, but it was enough of a distraction that it almost ruled out the Hyundai. The best conclusion I could come to was that the SE seat had less seat bottom padding that gave a different cushion height and feel.

Passive head restraints mainly to prevent neck injuries in an accident.

This link may help explain.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/protocols/pdf/...t_procedure.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've heard this complaint before, so I asked a dealer about this when I was looking at Sonata's. He said that if they really bother you, you can take them all of the way out of the seat and put them back in facing backwards. Obviously this will reduce their effectiveness in an accident, but it may make it more comfortable for everyday driving. I guess it is one of those risk/reward things.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It initially bothered me too until I reclined the seat a tad more, which solved it for me. I can imagine that having your hair in a bun will be a problem - maybe time for a change of hair style ^_^

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody. I had no idea that you could take it out and put it in backwards, I'll try that. Auto makers need to give us long-haired women a break! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
QUOTE (Buckeye_224 @ Jul 5 2010, 09:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338946
I've heard this complaint before, so I asked a dealer about this when I was looking at Sonata's. He said that if they really bother you, you can take them all of the way out of the seat and put them back in facing backwards. Obviously this will reduce their effectiveness in an accident, but it may make it more comfortable for everyday driving. I guess it is one of those risk/reward things.

This is what I had to do for my wife to be comfortable in the passenger seat...that or listen to her gripe about her head being uncomfortable on long trips :whistling:

I am willing to risk the slim chance of a rear end collision vs the large chance of breaking her neck myself :grin: (just joking!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think that's why they are officially called "head restraints". They aren't primarily to rest your head on. They are to prevent neck injuries in a crash. Also, I have always suspected that safety engineers don't want them to be that comfortable because drivers may be more prone to falling asleep while driving. I have never had a car where the headrests were at a good angle to comfortably rest my head against.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love the forward design of these headrests...I can actually DRIVE and rest my head on them and not be looking at the roofline.

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (Buckeye_224 @ Jul 5 2010, 09:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338946
Whats the first thing your going to do in an accident? Sue Hyundai for making the head rest able to reverse it and
not warning you with a yellow sticker on the rest stateing the danger of doing so.
Sue thats the american way.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 2007 Limited came with adjustable headrest: 3 options:

1. All the way back
2. middle
3. forward against your head.

Check out the manual of the car and it will tell you how to adjust them. You slightly move them forward until you have a click. I'm not sure if that will move it farther back than your bun. I think its better to have these facing the correct way, they don't intall them for no reason at all.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (yjbeach @ Jul 7 2010, 10:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339496
My 2007 Limited came with adjustable headrest: 3 options:

1. All the way back
2. middle
3. forward against your head.

Check out the manual of the car and it will tell you how to adjust them. You slightly move them forward until you have a click. I'm not sure if that will move it farther back than your bun. I think its better to have these facing the correct way, they don't intall them for no reason at all.
the 2011 headrests dont move forward or back or even tilt...they just go up and down

·
Registered
11 Posts
fantastic. for a tiny person, 5' 1.5" and about 110 lbs, those headrests are TERRIBLE for head and neck alignment. i have 2 ruptured discs in my neck and PT is trying to get me back in a proper alignment. this headrest puts me in such a bad position. i'm going out right now to flip it around.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Guys.. What year Sonatas are we talking about here?? I can sit in my 2013 Ltd with my driver seat *reasonably* upright, and the headrest is no less than two inches from the back of my cranium. I have the electric power seat, including lumbar support. In the past, with manual seats, I had to really recline the seat back to get the effect of decent lower back lumbar. Wife said I always looked so "ghetto" until I got this Sonata, LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
i do not believe the head needs to be maintained in an uncomfortable position to protect the neck. i have 2 ruptured discs and maintaining my neck in this position is completely contradictory to the position my physical therapist is trying to get me into. i went ahead and flipped the headrest around and now it fits this tiny human MUCH better.

·
Registered
726 Posts
i do not believe the head needs to be maintained in an uncomfortable position to protect the neck. i have 2 ruptured discs and maintaining my neck in this position is completely contradictory to the position my physical therapist is trying to get me into. i went ahead and flipped the headrest around and now it fits this tiny human MUCH better.
I'm 5' 8" male(a bit short for a stormtrooper!), and have never such issue with head restraints - in YF Sonatas or any of my prior cars.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I'm 5' 8" male(a bit short for a stormtrooper!), and have never such issue with head restraints - in YF Sonatas or any of my prior cars.
Same here. The headrests in our cars aren't particularly large, so I've never noticed them being awkward or uncomfortable.

Some of the newer Fords have headrests that angle forward pretty far, so I can see where those might be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Same here. The headrests in our cars aren't particularly large, so I've never noticed them being awkward or uncomfortable.

Some of the newer Fords have headrests that angle forward pretty far, so I can see where those might be uncomfortable.
Interestingly, 80s, my totalled 08 Kia Optima(which is how I got into the 2013 Sonata), had head restraints that as one pulled them forward, they would click and lock in a more forward position relative to seat back. One final click and - thunk! - back to the rear-most position.

The Sonata was cheapened up by not offering fore-n-aft head adjustment - on a newer car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts