Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I bought a used 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan a couple of weeks ago after several months of research and shopping. The result was a real gem, with only 23K miles. It's barely been on the streets! Fortunately, it didn't have a nav system. I say "fortunately" because after doing much research, I chose the Unavi X2, and I'm convinced it is the best and, quite frankly, the ONLY choice for my Genesis. The crisp graphics are absolutely beautiful and all the functions are perfect. But the real deal is Rob Bridges and James Stewart. These guys are extraordinary representatives for their company, as they are knowledgeable, friendly, patient and helpful, and they go out of their way to make sure you're happy with the product. Other companies should take lessons from them in customer service. So, if you're on the fence about a nav system for your Hyundai, you won't be disappointed with Unavi.
Thanks again for your kind words sir.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
"Thank you for the timely response and the documents. I worked with the installation company today and they told me to do the exact things you suggested and it worked. They, like you, said to call them with any other issues or concerns do now I have two sources for assistance! I appreciate your good customer service."
-Katie B.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm having my Unavi in my Sonata installed this week. Does anyone know where to get firmware and map updates and how to install them? Also, anyone know when Unavi is going to go to iGo Primo?
-Thx.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just got my UNAVI X2 8" install done in my Sonata and love the system. There are a few quirks but overall excellent system. Had the system install done professionally with a backup camera. Fit and finish is excellent. So for the quirks: did not receive a user manual for navigation system but it requires a few more button presses than I like to input a destination. The screen is glossy so the glare can be strong during sunny days, so have to have the brightness on all the way. The other thing which I don't think can be changed is when you have to go through the radio setup menu, you cannot touch the various options on the screen but have to use the "Tune" button to go through the options...but I think it is that way because the factory radio was set up that way. Overall, everything works great. I have all of the existing OEM functions...Bluetooth, steering controls, HD radio, XM. I'm hoping they go to iGo Primo software soon. Rob from Unavi indicated they are working on it but have ran into some issues during testing. But looking forward to the change as iGo Primo is more prevalent navigation system and it is easier to get map updates at a very low cost. I think they should have went with iGo Primo to begin with rather than MapNSoft which Hyundai currently uses.

To sum it up, you will not be disappointed in the upgrade!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just got my UNAVI X2 8" install done in my Sonata and love the system. There are a few quirks but overall excellent system. Had the system install done professionally with a backup camera. Fit and finish is excellent. So for the quirks: did not receive a user manual for navigation system but it requires a few more button presses than I like to input a destination. The screen is glossy so the glare can be strong during sunny days, so have to have the brightness on all the way. The other thing which I don't think can be changed is when you have to go through the radio setup menu, you cannot touch the various options on the screen but have to use the "Tune" button to go through the options...but I think it is that way because the factory radio was set up that way. Overall, everything works great. I have all of the existing OEM functions...Bluetooth, steering controls, HD radio, XM. I'm hoping they go to iGo Primo software soon. Rob from Unavi indicated they are working on it but have ran into some issues during testing. But looking forward to the change as iGo Primo is more prevalent navigation system and it is easier to get map updates at a very low cost. I think they should have went with iGo Primo to begin with rather than MapNSoft which Hyundai currently uses.

To sum it up, you will not be disappointed in the upgrade!!!
We appreciate your honest and positive feedback :D
Sorry a hard copy of the navigation manual was not included in the box, however, the quick guide is programmed into our built-in Owner's Manual feature in our system. If you would like the full 70-page version, please let us know if you would like to have it mailed or e-mailed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So I spoke to soon. A few days after I got my UNAVI installed in my Sonata I started having problems. I really like the system but have had some issues with it. I bought the system with the back-up camera and had it professionally installed. The problem I kept having was that the back-up camera would work intermittently. At times the camera image flashes on/off on the screen as if the system can't tell that I have put the car in reverse. The shop did a lot of troubleshooting and also contacted UNAVI for support. We checked everything from the wiring, connections, and thought maybe the camera is bad so we got a replacement from UNAVI. Still the same problem and the second camera's picture quality is terrible. At one point the system froze up so bad it would not shut down. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to turn off and reboot. Both the shop and UNAVI have been good about trying to fix the problem but I think I may have got one a in a million "lemons". The shop is going to ask UNAVI for a whole new system and camera and re-do the install.

As I said, I really like UNAVI so hopefully everything gets fixed. UNAVI responds quickly so hopefully we'll get new hardware soon. It's been an inconvenience since I have to take off work multiple times to get this fixed but mostly I wanted to be able to use the new system without issues given the money I spent on it. Anyway, just wanted to call this out on the forum in case anyone else may have had similar issues.

·
Registered
409 Posts
So I spoke to soon. A few days after I got my UNAVI installed in my Sonata I started having problems. I really like the system but have had some issues with it. I bought the system with the back-up camera and had it professionally installed. The problem I kept having was that the back-up camera would work intermittently. At times the camera image flashes on/off on the screen as if the system can't tell that I have put the car in reverse. The shop did a lot of troubleshooting and also contacted UNAVI for support. We checked everything from the wiring, connections, and thought maybe the camera is bad so we got a replacement from UNAVI. Still the same problem and the second camera's picture quality is terrible. At one point the system froze up so bad it would not shut down. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to turn off and reboot. Both the shop and UNAVI have been good about trying to fix the problem but I think I may have got one a in a million "lemons". The shop is going to ask UNAVI for a whole new system and camera and re-do the install.

As I said, I really like UNAVI so hopefully everything gets fixed. UNAVI responds quickly so hopefully we'll get new hardware soon. It's been an inconvenience since I have to take off work multiple times to get this fixed but mostly I wanted to be able to use the new system without issues given the money I spent on it. Anyway, just wanted to call this out on the forum in case anyone else may have had similar issues.
We will do everything possible to correct the problems you are having, I have seen a few of the cameras for the sonata c2 garnish fail lately, It looks like the new batch we have received is from a different manufacturer so hopefully the issues will be gone, as far as the unit, I can assure you that our units are NOT lemons, a majority of the time it is installer error that causes malfunctions of our unit, I am by no means throwing anyone under the bus but from experience installing for all of our local dealers in so-cal i don't have these issues at all.
Most of the time the issues you may be seeing are simple fixes, as far as the camera issue i do believe we simply have a defective camera, as far as the unit try doing this once your camera has been replaced. When you start the car allow about 5-10 seconds for the unit to start booting up before shifting into reverse, I have done the same thing on my unit in my BMW when i get in and take off and not let it boot it will lock up if i don't give it a few seconds to boot up. Of all the units i have done locally, i have had 3 units out of several hundred just die and not power up, none that had backup camera issues were a problem with the screen.
Please give me a call if you have any questions and i can better explain whats going on.

Thanks
Rob
855-558-6284 office

·
Registered
154 Posts
Rob gave me a call personally last night about my issue to take care of the problem. Between the shop and Unavi I know I'm in good hands. as far as customer service goes, you will not be disappointed in Unavi!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
"To whom it may concern,

Im not sure on the website where to leave comments, so I just figured I would email Patrick since he has been the one helping me, but I just wanted to say what a HUGE help Patrick has been. I bought a used car that had a unavi system installed so when the screen froze I had no idea where to start as I had no knowledge about this system. He was VERY helpful throughout the whole process including ordering the parts I needed and setting up an appointment for me here in Florida to get the unit fixed. He even looked up my address to see how far away the shop was and gave me directions as to how to get there! I never knew anything about unavi but due to my pleasant experience, I will definitely recommend it to other people in the future! Thanks again! :)"

-Hannah

·
Registered
409 Posts
Rob gave me a call personally last night about my issue to take care of the problem. Between the shop and Unavi I know I'm in good hands. as far as customer service goes, you will not be disappointed in Unavi!
Thank you Anthony, I am working to make sure we have you taken care of.
i was able to duplicate the issue with a brand new camera out of the box so my next step is to make sure it isnt in the screen, testing an older style camera now and its not giving me the same issue.

Thank Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over the last year or so that I have owned my Unavi, Rob and his team have definitely been working hard to push out a quality product and quickly. I have had some issues with minor bugs in the system all of which have gotten fixed fairly quickly by simple firmware updates.

Rob has taken the time on multiple occasions to talk to me on the phone personally and sort out the issue at hand always in a very professional and courteous manner. I will say this about the UNAVI product and the entire UNAVI support team. This has been one of my best purchases, product wise and support wise that I have made in quite a while.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
"Where do you live? It's too bad you can't see one of these in person and play with it to help you with your decision. Ultimately, you have to just decide what's important to you and what isn't, and it sounds like maybe you've already done that.

For me, the UNAVI system offers a level of integration that I knew I could never get with another aftermarket solution. The steering wheel controls work flawlessly, the voice command system is still 100% functional, and the bluetooth connectivity is the best I've had in any stereo. Sirius, which I use all the time, is still, of course, fully there. Another benefit is that it looks like any other factory OEM navigation unit which, I think, makes it less desirable for thieves.

You say you play most of your music from USB drives. Well, those will play from the unit that you'd mount in your glove box, and are fully controllable by the normal controls, both on the steering wheel and the touch screen.

I just can't see walking away from this unit, especially after you've already paid for the UVO system to begin with, just because it doesn't display the album cover while you're listening to music.

David's obviously going to be a strong proponent of this because he's selling it. But to be honest, I don't think he'd sell it if he weren't already a strong proponent of it. The thing I like about David is that he seems to use EVERYTHING he sells. As for me, I have no dog in the fight, and I love this unit more and more every day.

If you'd like, you can call me, and I'll test out anything you want to know about and tell you what it's doing. Or, if you've really made up your mind, that's cool too. I'm just trying to help. =)"

-CrystalWorks

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
"Big thanks to Patrick and the whole crew at UNAVI. Needed an updated unit for my Hybrid Sonata while living in Ohio, and they made the whole thing happen. Put in hours of time helping out to get things set up and sent out and even some trouble shooting, and customer service was fantastic! Went above and beyond, all the way from the other side of the country and I appreciate it 100%. Thanks again!"

-Jose R.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
"I purchased a Unavi unit for my '12 Sonata. It worked as expected but one day stopped for reasons unknown. I contacted Rob explained what happened and in a few days a Brand New unit was shipped to the installer I used and replaced without any hiccups or cost to me. That in itself proves what an honest person Rob is and the people that stand behind a very good product. Technology changes must faster then we can keep up with. For example: Tv's, cell phones, tablets. We usually get what's new for the moment, but we all know todays tech is outdated very quickly. All I know is it works, and hopefully till I trade my car in will continue to do so. Yes, updates are nice now and then, but even with a Garmin Nuvi, I had to pay for any updated maps. Maybe what Unavi may do one day is update the radio screen or something to put new life in the product. But even if that doesn't happen, they stand behind their product 110% and that says a lot about them."

-edg121

·
Registered
409 Posts
Here is a great email from another happy customer!

"Robert,

Thanks - I just had a Unavi system installed by Central Kia of Plano, TX on our brand-new 2013 Sportage SX, and liked it so much, I ordered one for my 2012 Soul + from CarLightTrends.com.
I really like the 8" screen for the backup camera compared to the stock UVO screen on the Sporage. My Soul has the standard radio, but I ordered the backup camera to install on my Soul because I liked it so much on the Sportage.

Great system and great idea using part of the original head unit to retain all the nice UVO features. I hope your business does well, and would be more than happy to provide positive references to any perspective customers.

Thanks again!"

-Keith W.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I bought the Unavi X2 for my 2013 Kia Optima when my family was in California visiting Disneyland this summer. I dealt with Rob via email before and after the purchase, and he has been fantastic, very helpful and answers all questions promptly.

I did the install of the Unavi and backup camera myself, and I must say that it went very smoothly. The entire process took me about 1 hour. I've been using it for three months now without any problems.

The backup camera is great for parallel parking, as previously, it was hard to see over the high back end of my car.

I highly recommend this product, it is well worth the price.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hi

I bought the Unavi X2 for my 2013 Kia Optima when my family was in California visiting Disneyland this summer. I dealt with Rob via email before and after the purchase, and he has been fantastic, very helpful and answers all questions promptly.

I did the install of the Unavi and backup camera myself, and I must say that it went very smoothly. The entire process took me about 1 hour. I've been using it for three months now without any problems.

The backup camera is great for parallel parking, as previously, it was hard to see over the high back end of my car.

I highly recommend this product, it is well worth the price.
:beer:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my UNAVI system for about 6 months now, and am very happy with the system. I think having an 8" screen for my backup camera might be worth the whole cost of the system in and of itself. Combined with the multimedia features, the navigation, and the "wow" factor, I don't think there's a more "bang-for-the-buck" mod you can do to the stock stereo system. Customer service has always been excellent, both when I had questions during my install and when I wanted to upgrade the firmware afterwards. If you're on the edge, go ahead and jump... This isn't a mod you'll regret.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I've had my UNAVI system for about 6 months now, and am very happy with the system. I think having an 8" screen for my backup camera might be worth the whole cost of the system in and of itself. Combined with the multimedia features, the navigation, and the "wow" factor, I don't think there's a more "bang-for-the-buck" mod you can do to the stock stereo system. Customer service has always been excellent, both when I had questions during my install and when I wanted to upgrade the firmware afterwards. If you're on the edge, go ahead and jump... This isn't a mod you'll regret.
Jonahan, we appreciate your feedback! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2013 Elantra Limited, but it did not have a backup camera or navigation. I did a lot of research on the internet and found UNAVI.
I am so glad I chose the UNAVI X5 with a backup camera. It gives me what I want with a factory look (I did not want any of the “add-on” navigation and backup camera). All of my factory controls (radio, Bluetooth, etc.) remain operable. Since there were no dealers in my area and I am a Do-it-yourselfer, I purchased the UNAVI from David Garcia (Carlighttrends.com). He was very helpful and was there any time that I had a question about installation and setup. I would recommend David and UNAVI to anyone!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts