Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
My Elantra 2013 GLS front struts are dead, got it removed by a mechanic to check and it seems jammed.

I tried searching for KYB front struts but not available in my region, and shipping them is super expensive.

The only option now i have is to go for Hyundai's OEM struts, are they better than the lousy rear struts? Or any other alternative brand i can look for??

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got the front struts replaced with the OEM one around a month ago, when one of them was leaking and so far they are worth it. Cost me around AED 250 and like 60 AED to fit. The car feels much smoother over the bumps compared to the dead struts. Can't comment on the KYB struts though as I haven't used them.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Try Monroe OE spectrum struts. I have them on my 2011. I feel they are better than OEM.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the front struts replaced with the OEM one around a month ago, when one of them was leaking and so far they are worth it. Cost me around AED 250 and like 60 AED to fit. The car feels much smoother over the bumps compared to the dead struts. Can't comment on the KYB struts though as I haven't used them.
Hey. Where did you get it done? Freelook guys is charging me Dhs 250 for both, will negotiate today and see.
Stock struts lasted me 5 years now, and my driving conditions are a bit rough cos I need to go in construction areas and stuff...so I guess this was it's life. I am assuming as it's the front struts which takes all the load Hyundai must have used good quality struts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just get the OEM strut from SEOUL Parts, Sharjah who carry the OEM parts for Hyundai. Then go to this place. Look for the guy named Mohideen (0553912014) and mention him it to him that you were sent by the guy who services his silver Elantra there. If you need, I can give him a call as well. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to change the struts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try quick shocks from Napa or something. Usually they come with the insulators and bearings and stuff all together. Alot cheaper than OEM and it gets the job done.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Hi guys!
My Elantra 2013 GLS front struts are dead, got it removed by a mechanic to check and it seems jammed.

I tried searching for KYB front struts but not available in my region, and shipping them is super expensive.
The only option now i have is to go for Hyundai's OEM struts, are they better than the lousy rear struts? Or any other alternative brand i can look for??

Are the hydraulic cylinders bent? Are the coils broken?
If the cylinders are bad just have them replaced.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just get the OEM strut from SEOUL Parts, Sharjah who carry the OEM parts for Hyundai. Then go to this place. Look for the guy named Mohideen (0553912014) and mention him it to him that you were sent by the guy who services his silver Elantra there. If you need, I can give him a call as well. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to change the struts.
Hey! Thanks for the contact. Anyhow I got it done at Freelook, they did it for Dhs 180 and i went ahead cos its near my office and i can jump in and out. So far its really good and made a lot of difference. Unfortunately my sis-in-law arrived the next day and her husband rented a Dodge Charger 2018 and I drove it around for a few days, don't like my tires anymore!! :frown:

Are the hydraulic cylinders bent? Are the coils broken?
If the cylinders are bad just have them replaced.
Yes when I got them inspected he said the one of the strut is bent, so i went ahead and replaced both the struts along with the mounting plates. So far the feel is really good and I don't feel scared anymore going over potholes. I just don't like the tire noise, probably a design flaw with the sound deadening used. I have Yokohama C-drive's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just switched to Hankook. Not the best but they are less noisy when the air pressure is at 32. Anything below that and they start making a lot of noise :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just switched to Hankook. Not the best but they are less noisy when the air pressure is at 32. Anything below that and they start making a lot of noise :D
Hankooks are terrible! I had waged a war against them when my car was new, got them replaced thrice under warranty, finally gave up and went for Yokohama C-drives, they were really good when new but i guess due to my driving conditions the tread is worn out.

Dunlops have a new OEM type for Elantra 2013's called VEURO, designed for silence it seems but I am sure it will cost a fortune.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hankooks are terrible! I had waged a war against them when my car was new, got them replaced thrice under warranty, finally gave up and went for Yokohama C-drives, they were really good when new but i guess due to my driving conditions the tread is worn out.

Dunlops have a new OEM type for Elantra 2013's called VEURO, designed for silence it seems but I am sure it will cost a fortune.
The Hankooks that come with the Elantra are junk. Hankook does make some good tires though. Like any brand you have different levels of quality.
I've been using Continentals myself. I'm on my second set of Control Contact AS/touring. Go 80k out of the first set

1 - 13 of 13 Posts