Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just awaiting delivery of my new santa fe. Never had a semi auto before so- just a few questions to those who have an Auto in the UK- does the manual override actually make any difference?
I quickly tried using the override on my test drive but it didn't seem possible to make it stay in the gear you select.
I can understand why the gear box drops down to save the engine stalling, but it also seems to change up if the revs get too high in a low gear.
I thought the whole point of having manual override was to stop up changes.

The gearbox also seemed to stop down changes if the vehicle speed is too high. Some form of gearbox/ engine self protection?

Does having the option of using the overide make the Santa Fe any sportier? i.e. can you hold onto gears longer.

I presume it must be almost impossible to red line the engine with the gearbox nannying the driver- you can't red line it on downshifts, you can't hold gears before it upshifts for you??. Maybe not a bad thing :unsure:

Views please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

The manual shift option in my opinion doesn't make the car any sportier. But it's not a sports car so that doesn't bother me. Also I can't see the point of sitting on the engine limiter. I used to have a Subaru that wouldn't change up in manual mode and occasionally I'd hit the limiter. All this did was remind me in a noisy way that I needed to change up.

It does allow me to change manually but within reason. As you you've said it won't change down if the car speed is too high nor will it allow me to change up if the car speed is too low. It will allow you to pull away from a standstill in 2nd which has been a useful feature with all the ice and snow around.

I also use it if I'm going to overtake on a normal road because I can put the car in the right gear to use all of the torque rather than floor it and wait for the kickdown. It can also be useful on long or steep descents because I can drop a cog or two and allow the engine braking to control the speed rather than sitting on the brakes.

I nearly always leave it in auto though and the gearbox seems to cope fine.

I've had mine since April and have done 19,000 miles without any problems.
I'm a very happy customer!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE (Spidunne1 @ Dec 7 2010, 10:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377561
Hello,

The manual shift option in my opinion doesn't make the car any sportier. But it's not a sports car so that doesn't bother me. Also I can't see the point of sitting on the engine limiter. I used to have a Subaru that wouldn't change up in manual mode and occasionally I'd hit the limiter. All this did was remind me in a noisy way that I needed to change up.

It does allow me to change manually but within reason. As you you've said it won't change down if the car speed is too high nor will it allow me to change up if the car speed is too low. It will allow you to pull away from a standstill in 2nd which has been a useful feature with all the ice and snow around.

I also use it if I'm going to overtake on a normal road because I can put the car in the right gear to use all of the torque rather than floor it and wait for the kickdown. It can also be useful on long or steep descents because I can drop a cog or two and allow the engine braking to control the speed rather than sitting on the brakes.

I nearly always leave it in auto though and the gearbox seems to cope fine.

I've had mine since April and have done 19,000 miles without any problems.
I'm a very happy customer!

Hope this helps.
You've no soul! Taking a Subaru boxer to the top of it's considerable rev range is one of the glorious sounds of motoring - even if not appropriate on a diesel SUV. I'm changing to a SF from a Subaru Outback 2.5 auto - which Subaru did you have?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts