Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Santa Fe on order from a UK main dealer. I am considering upgrading the audio in the car. Hyundai offer a choice of 3 possible units to upgrade to.

I have asked my dealer and Hyundai UK for details of the standard supplied with the car, and also the optional units. No one can provide any information on these apparently.

Does anyone know of any information on these units?

Or anyone know the maker and the makers part number? I notice one of them is supplied by Clarion for example.

Or if not, anyone got any of these and able to provide a brief description of each unit?
What do you get as standard? Does it work with the iPod / iPhone? Bluetooth? DVD? What sort of Sat Nav? How much power?
What Sat Nav is on the 6 and 7 inch units?

So the standard unit is Described as
"For your listening pleasure, we have installed a fully integrated audio system with six speakers, a single slot CD and MP3 playing capability. Aux and USB connections are also standard across the range."

The Clarion 7" unit is described as
"7" colour monitor with touch screen operation / Built in Sat Nav / Free TMC Traffic Information / RDS / MP3/WMA/AAC compatible / Direct USB & iPod control / Built in Bluetooth - external microphone included / DVD video/DVD+/RW/CD-R/RW/ DivX / Operation through steering wheel controls"

This is possibly the 509E - http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products/2009...2414933638.html

There is also something which seems very similar, with a slightly smaller screen
"6-inch touch screen / DVD / CD / MP3 / DivX/ Garmin navigation / TMC lifetime subscription / Integrated Parrot Bluetooth / iPod & iPhone direct control. "

This looks like - http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/tech/dd/5260/

And finally
"Built in Bluetooth, external microphone, CD/MP3/WMA/AAC, iPod direct control via USB, variable colour screen, steering wheel control operated."

The part number is visible on this final item, and is described here
http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products/2009...2414933824.html

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have the calrion NX700E installed and im loving it. My dealer they had alot of issues with the kenwood.

http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products/2010...9404293345.html

The satnav is awesome. shows up the exit signs on the motorway and does 3d buildings i belive. you can update the maps, POI, speed cameras etc at an extra cost.

The bluetooth phone is totally hands free and it can even display incoming text messages. Ive had no issues once i updated the firware.

The audio side i only use a usb stick and it does not do anything fancy just plays mp3 files but the standard speakers can handle quite a bit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (djashjones @ Dec 14 2010, 12:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379619
i have the calrion NX700E installed and im loving it. My dealer they had alot of issues with the kenwood.

The satnav is awesome. shows up the exit signs on the motorway and does 3d buildings i belive. you can update the maps, POI, speed cameras etc at an extra cost.

The bluetooth phone is totally hands free and it can even display incoming text messages. Ive had no issues once i updated the firware.

The audio side i only use a usb stick and it does not do anything fancy just plays mp3 files but the standard speakers can handle quite a bit.
Hi there.

As far as I was aware, the standard speakers are Clarion. I upgraded my Santa Fe with a whole media kit. Kenwood headunit, Headrests for the kids, ipod cable. The speakers are great. Can pretty much handle whatever you throw at them.

The reason for the aftermarket fit was that the Kenwood had the Dual Zone feature. The kids can listen to a film in the back, while we have the radio/music/ipod in the front.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Walshy @ Dec 14 2010, 10:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379800
Hi there.

As far as I was aware, the standard speakers are Clarion. I upgraded my Santa Fe with a whole media kit. Kenwood headunit, Headrests for the kids, ipod cable. The speakers are great. Can pretty much handle whatever you throw at them.

The reason for the aftermarket fit was that the Kenwood had the Dual Zone feature. The kids can listen to a film in the back, while we have the radio/music/ipod in the front.
Hi,

do you have model numbers of the Kenwood head unit you have? Are the monitors embedded within the headrest or strapped on, or is it mounted on the ceiling? Any model numbers for them?

Did Hyundai for this? Or was it an independent.

cheers

Durelli

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (djashjones @ Dec 14 2010, 12:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379619

Do you know if the SatNav in the Clarion units is a branded option like TomTom etc?

I notice the Kenwood units have Garmin SatNav.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clarion is IGO 8 which you can update the maps from naviextras and also has dual zone with an option to add a rear view camera if needed and rear lcd screens. The clarion has a bigger screen compared to the kenwood.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (Durelli_tyres @ Dec 16 2010, 12:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380247
Hi,

do you have model numbers of the Kenwood head unit you have? Are the monitors embedded within the headrest or strapped on, or is it mounted on the ceiling? Any model numbers for them?

Did Hyundai for this? Or was it an independent.

cheers

Durelli
Hi Durelli. Sorry for the late reply. I'm not getting my email alerts from the site for some reason.

The head unit is a Kenwood DDX-5022. This has since been updated by Kenwood, but the replacement units are all the same dimensions, just have a look at their website.

The Headrests are great. The monitor is part of the headrest. It comes as a complete unit and is bedded into the headrest. Saves you having to cut into the existing headrests and they come in all colours to match your interior. When you change your car, you can take them out and just put the factory ones back in. All the work was done by an independant Car Audio Dealers. I'm not adverse to fitting stereos myself, but thought this might be a huge undertaking. IT WASN'T. Should have done it myself and saved some cash, but hey, it's done now and I'm really pleased with it all.

I can't really give you a manufacturer for the headrests as there isn't a name on them, but they are ten a penny, so you won't have trouble getting any. The picture is very good too. At the end of the day, they are just monitors. All the trick bits are in the head unit.

I also got the fitter to put an AV feed into each rear screen, so the kids can either watch a film, or plug in a games console and play games............

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I have also ordered a new Santa Fe Premium from a dealer, yesterday and asked for a Clarion Sat Nav to be fitted (Part No. HMY4310011) which I believe is the Clarion NX509E. I have been trying to find information on this Sat Nav and have just noticed that it would appear that when fitted in the dash board I will loose the CD slot and will therefore be unable to play CDs, is this correct. I imagine that I would be able to download the CDs onto a USB Stick, but it would be much better to have a CD slot. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Tarril

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (TARRIL @ Dec 17 2010, 02:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380822
Hi,

I have also ordered a new Santa Fe Premium from a dealer, yesterday and asked for a Clarion Sat Nav to be fitted (Part No. HMY4310011) which I believe is the Clarion NX509E. I have been trying to find information on this Sat Nav and have just noticed that it would appear that when fitted in the dash board I will loose the CD slot and will therefore be unable to play CDs, is this correct. I imagine that I would be able to download the CDs onto a USB Stick, but it would be much better to have a CD slot. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Tarril
I assumed all these units have a slot in them to allow CD and DVD playing. Also for software / Sat Nav map updates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Clarion Nx700E installed in my new Sante Fe. If anyone does this then remember to make sure you get the removed factory fit unit from the dealer (in case you want to remove the upgrade when you sell).
I was previously a Honda Accord driver which had built in satnav. I find the Clarion good but not outstanding. It has a lovely large touch screen but I've realised I prefer the hardware buttons and joystick of my old honda. On the Honda you could press individual buttons to get to the radio OR cd or satnav. On the Clarion you have to press the source button, then press the screen for the option you want. The satnav is an upgrade over the honda. You have a choice of 2d or 3d view. Ipod integration is good. It will download the playlist to the Clarion.

With hindsight I'm wondering if I could have got a slight more upto date 2 DIN unit from Pioneer or Sony etc. for the same money. I'm not sure if other units support the steering wheel controls from the Santa Fe.

As has been mentioned you can install a rear monitor off the NX700e, and then have the unit output video to the rear monitor, but play something different up front. Never tried it and probably never will. Pity I don't have a rear camera connected to the Nx700e, but again it's probably not worth the ££ to get one installed.

I'm still findling with the audio setting, I can't seem to get the bass, mid range & treble right for my ear. Work in progress. Anyone have a good contact for Clarion for support. The website look a bit lean on info.

BTW- Clarion offer 1 year free theft insurance on the NX700e, register on the UK site under support.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thought it would be worth throwing a picture on so you could see the set up......

[attachment=21857:3rd_Hyun...a_Fe__7_.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (Walshy @ Dec 18 2010, 01:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381047
Thought it would be worth throwing a picture on so you could see the set up......

[attachment=21857:3rd_Hyun...a_Fe__7_.JPG]

Hi,
New to the forum but have a few points to maybe help;
1. I called the UK Clarion tech support and they were really good - number is on Clarion website.
2. I have upgraded the firmware as requested by the Clarion technician on the phone (easy to do) but my phone quality is awful - i have tried blackberry and various nokia's etc but still no better.

Anyone got any ideas on the phone problems ?

Thanks everyone.
Rowle - UK (2010 5 seat Premium 2.2d)

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (rowle @ Dec 26 2010, 11:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=383428
Hi,
New to the forum but have a few points to maybe help;
1. I called the UK Clarion tech support and they were really good - number is on Clarion website.
2. I have upgraded the firmware as requested by the Clarion technician on the phone (easy to do) but my phone quality is awful - i have tried blackberry and various nokia's etc but still no better.

Anyone got any ideas on the phone problems ?

Thanks everyone.
Rowle - UK (2010 5 seat Premium 2.2d)
Hi rowle,

Sorry cannot help you with your phone problem, but I am interested in your firmware upgrade.

I have just taken delivery of a new Santa Fe this month and paid the dealer £1,150.00 for a Clarion NX700E to be supplied and fitted. I live in a small estate where half of the estate was constructed in 2006 and I was the first to move into the other half when it was built in March 2007. Delivery-men calling at my property in the latter part of 2007 were saying that the postcode on their sat/navs were taking them to an area 3 to 4 miles away.

With the NX700E I find that my postcode also takes me 4 miles away and if I input my address line, it takes me to the other part of the estate. If I input my house number, it will not accept it. Logic therefore tells me that the software supplied with a brand new Sat/nav was written in 2006 and is therefore 3 to 4 years out of date. I contacted Clarion tech department and they found the same problems and suggest I contact the Hyundai Dealer.

Obviously I do not need a Sat/nav to find my home, but if it’s 3 to 4 years out of date finding where I live, it's 3 to 4 years out of date for the rest of the UK.

Clarion state that their software is written by Naviextra.com and I note on their site that they are selling updates with a release date of 2010 Q3, is this what you obtained and did you have to pay for it, how did you install it etc? I think it is a bit much however, having to purchase an update for a brand new £1,150.00 unit.

Has any other members found similar problems and how did you deal with them?

Kind Regards

Tarril

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I recently sold some surplus car parts on a car forum and gave them my address including postcode - the father/son eventually turned having used the satnav App on their two mobile phones - they were sent to two different wrong streets one a mile away the other two miles, before they found our house by asking locals! It was built in 1976 so nothing recent there.

I suspect the problem originates in poor satnav software where they've used a free/cheap pirate copy of the postcode database rather than pay Royal Mail for an up-to-date authorised copy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, just wondering for the NX700E factory fit , did the standard iPod aux and USB slots on the 2011 Santa Fe's continue to be used or were they made redundant by the upgrade ?

Thanks

Conor

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've just got the standard system plus (as the 2011 doesn't have Bluetooth ) a Hyundai /Parrott Bluetooth kit.

I looked into upgrading but as it is a standard double DIN and the cables and trims are readily available I decided to wait. Partly because of a lack of DAB/AnalogueFM/Nav/A2DP/phone/ipod video all in one unit. Thought I'd wait till I had more cash and options.

I'm finding the standard unit with the iPod cable to my iphone4S surprisingly good. The phone sits on the ashtray for Navigation use (CopilotGPS). Might not bother with the upgrade after all (or at least until analogue radio goes).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Trustme , I am in the same position as you were , wondering what the upgrade options are on the double din stereo unit to get luetooth, as other option is parrot luetooth or similar.

Definitely would like to keep the iPod/iPhone ports in the same place in the car without any mods and having the phone in the glove compartment, so wondering what stereos would allow this.

Had the car a week and loving it .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts