Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally drove about 10 feet out of a parking space with my Parking Brake on before I noticed it. Can that cause a problem?

·
22,793 Posts
Nah, you're okay. Just a little wear on the pads. Not to worry. About the equivalent of stopping for a traffic signal. Just don't make a habit of doing it! ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I accidentally drove about 10 feet out of a parking space with my Parking Brake on before I noticed it. Can that cause a problem?
The parking brake is a completely separate system then the service brakes. The parking brake uses brake shoes and the inside of the rear rotor's top hat. If your parking brake will hold the car and the parking brake peddle is not down to the floor you are ok. If not you can adjust (or have) the parking brake shoes adjusted. This is done by removing the rear wheels and removing the little ~5/8in dia rubber plug that is on the face of the rotor top hat. This will give you access to the brake shoe star wheel adjuster. Using a screw driver turn the star wheel up/down until the shoes stop the rotor, then back off until there is just a slight or just no drag. Do the same to the other side and you should be able to apply the parking brake stop/holding the car and the parking brake peddle should be well off the floor. Oh the parking brake must be off when you make the adjustments.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, you're okay. Just a little wear on the pads. Not to worry. About the equivalent of stopping for a traffic signal. Just don't make a habit of doing it! ;)
Darn. Did it again. I guess it could be worse than 2 times within 3 months, and I only drove about 10 feet when I noticed it each time :) Besides a little wear on the brake pads is it bad for the tires, specifically my state of the art, Super Duper Kumho's? LOL

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Darn. Did it again. I guess it could be worse than 2 times within 3 months, and I only drove about 10 feet when I noticed it each time :) Besides a little wear on the brake pads is it bad for the tires, specifically my state of the art, Super Duper Kumho's? LOL
I haven't done this with my Sonata yet, likely because I always wait for a slight roll before hitting the gas. But I do miss the loud as heck chime my Impala gave off if you shifted out of Park with the brake still on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
90 Posts
I really hate how they out the parking brake down in the footwell. Makes it way harder to remember when it's out of sight, also makes it a lot harder to do brake slides in snow and rain. Haha

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Won't bother your (wonderful^_^) tires one bit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Won't bother your (wonderful^_^) tires one bit.
OK, I was always under the impression that even driving a short distance with the Parking Brake on might be very bad for the tires, even if they were the best tires in the world and not the stinky Kumho's :) I don't know very much about cars other than I use to change my Oil and Filter on my 1985 Honda Prelude. Loved that car. Original Owner for 150,000+ miles for 12 years. Finally sold it when we started a family and bought a new minivan. A 2-door sporty car just didn't cut it with 2 infants :(

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
I haven't done this with my Sonata yet, likely because I always wait for a slight roll before hitting the gas. But I do miss the loud as heck chime my Impala gave off if you shifted out of Park with the brake still on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Same with Fords. And it gives you a visual warning in case you are hearing impaired!

Also on GM's they have a warning for when you leave on your turn signal too long. Should be standard in all cars.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I really hate how they out the parking brake down in the footwell. Makes it way harder to remember when it's out of sight, also makes it a lot harder to do brake slides in snow and rain. Haha
Manual trans Sonata has a hand brake in the console next to the shifter where it belongs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How about the light on the dash:confused:
Never used the parking brake on this car, but yes a light does help if your staring at the dash, but I rarely do when initially pulling away.
Manual trans Sonata has a hand brake in the console next to the shifter where it belongs.
I like it like that. Living in alabama doesn't really matter now, no snow to play in or steep hills to have to worry about.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts