Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having this problem? I might trade this '13 Elantra GT for a '14 or '15. Too many problems. I knew I shouldn't have bought a first year model.

When the engine is cold, the clutch slips. When it warms up, the clutch is strong like how it should be. Anyone else having a slipping clutch when their engine is cold? My car only has 7,000 miles and I drive conservatively.

·
22,788 Posts
:puzzled: What did your dealer say when you took it in?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:puzzled: What did your dealer say when you took it in?
I will go to the dealer. I'm willing to bet you a hundred dollars they will say the clutch is not under warranty and/or I was beating the car by riding the clutch to hard. That happens to almost 99% of clutch complaints.

·
22,788 Posts
I will go to the dealer. I'm willing to bet you a hundred dollars they will say the clutch is not under warranty and/or I was beating the car by riding the clutch to hard. That happens to almost 99% of clutch complaints.
Without knowing what kind of dealer you have, I'd be crazy to take that bet. If it was mine, however, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting your dilemma corrected. Or at least feel like they care and will make an attempt to correct it. Best part? I'd be $100 richer! :grin:

But don't forget, you've got a 1 year/12k mile warranty on everything on the car...right down to the windshield wiper rubber. Don't procrastinate. Clock's ticking... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm curious what the car is doing when you say the clutch is slipping. Does the pedal feel any different? Sometimes clutch hydraulic system (master, slave, lines, etc.) problems masquerade as clutch slipping issues.

BTW, I wouldn't blame problems like this on the GT being in its first year.... the drivetrain has been in production since 2011 in all models and the GT has been shipping as the I30 in Europe quite a bit of time before US introduction also.

if you do decided to trade, I'd wait for at least a few months longer - we're very close to knowing what the next revision of the GT will be.

- Mark

·
22,788 Posts
BTW, I wouldn't blame problems like this on the GT being in its first year.... the drivetrain has been in production since 2011 in all models and the GT has been shipping as the I30 in Europe quite a bit of time before US introduction also.

- Mark
Correct-o-mundo, Mark. The 2011 MD was a first year production. I had one. Loved it! Now I have a 2nd one, a 2013. Love it, too. Even more! But only because of the mods I've done. Really miss that 2011. She was just as awesome. :wub:

·
Registered
918 Posts
You mean from off, and then when you turn on the engine in the morning... and then you proceed to drive within 30 seconds? You don't think it's because the engine is revving higher? When it's warm, its back down to 600-700 idle speed vs 1500-1700 idle when it's cold. That itself could cause you to think it's slipping.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The automatic makes the car feel really heavy when cold. Probably because the tranny oil is thicker on startup. 4 degrees C outside

·
Registered
560 Posts
I feel it a bit too, but I haven't been easy on my clutch, and thought it might just be a bit looser than it should be. I'm just about 10K miles.

Its definitely getting colder here.

·
22,788 Posts
You mean from off, and then when you turn on the engine in the morning... and then you proceed to drive within 30 seconds? You don't think it's because the engine is revving higher? When it's warm, its back down to 600-700 idle speed vs 1500-1700 idle when it's cold. That itself could cause you to think it's slipping.
I think you've nailed it, vit! Certainly seems plausible. One way to tell: start it up, let it idle to operating temp, then take off and judge the performance of the clutch from that point forward.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, when the engine is cold, meaning the thermostat doesn't reach to the warm level.

A clutch should not be slipping at any time, regardless of temperature or a slight difference in idle RPM change.

I just read that Hyundai was hit by a lawsuit by 2003 Tiburon owners. Customers complained that the 2003 Tiburon(first model year new Tiburon) had clutches that prematurely failed. Dealers refused to fix them under warranty. The customers won and Hyundai eventually changed the clutches under warranty. I just hope this is not the same story with my Elantra :mad:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Or learn to use the clutch properly? I've had my car a year, it has just about 30,000km (19,000miles) on it and I've not experienced this problem. Your argument of this being a "new car issue is very implausible. This motor/trans combo has been in use since 2011. Unless there are many Elantra sedan owners complaining of this, which I haven't seen, then the issue is likely more with your driving than the car itself.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or learn to use the clutch properly? I've had my car a year, it has just about 30,000km (19,000miles) on it and I've not experienced this problem. Your argument of this being a "new car issue is very implausible. This motor/trans combo has been in use since 2011. Unless there are many Elantra sedan owners complaining of this, which I haven't seen, then the issue is likely more with your driving than the car itself.

It is plausible. New car will have new car issues regardless of how old the engine design is. The older Hyundai 2.0L has been in several Hyundai models and they all have different issues. Same goes with several other automakers who use same engines with different models.

I've been driving manual transmission for 15 years. I think I know how to drive a manual. You think my soft and smooth driving will cause this?

Google: Clutch slipping when cold. You will see other different brands suffer the same regardless if the engine/tranny has been used in other models.

·
Registered
461 Posts
have you tried the 3rd gear test?
Go from 1st to 3rd and floor it to put load on the clutch, does the engine revv and car not speed up?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Uhg, Moderators, lock this thread. More blame than help.
Not blame so much as confusion as to why you're blaming the issue on the car being new to the market, when the drivetrain has been around for 3 model years.

·
Registered
560 Posts
have you tried the 3rd gear test?
Go from 1st to 3rd and floor it to put load on the clutch, does the engine revv and car not speed up?
Interesting test.. Gonna keep that in mind!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts