Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I want to buy a 2018 Elantra and take the advantage of "uber discount".

For those who purchased with uber discount, does signing up for uber affect your auto insurance rate?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
It puts it in a business vs personal use class. Call your insurance.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,042 Posts
That is what many drivers never check. My insurance (Mercury) asks you at renewal and if you are your rates change, also if they are not notified and you are in an accident while carrying a Uber or Lyft passenger it may greatly affect your coverage or renewal. You are a commercial not personal use

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
i ran into this all the time when i worked for the post office. i was a sub rural carrier, so i used my own vehicle. i converted an outback to rhd. then came the ins fiasco. however, luckily, the usps has it's own coverage for rca's when working, we are covered from the time we leave the house, to when we return. ins companies either dont know about this, or dont want to know, and whenever i checked a new company, i always told them about the usps, and they all said the car would have to have a commercial coverage, much higher. i even printed out the coverage, and they would just ignore it. but there are several ignored clauses in insurance, for example, homeowners. got a trampoline? a pit bull? anytime these clauses are ignored, if an incident happens, the ins company is no longer liable. i think uber has a similar type of ins that the usps does, so drivers are covered separately. and herein lies another problem. defining the coverage can be confusing. not knowing leaves you wide open for lawsuits.

·
Registered
941 Posts
You don't 'actually' have to be an Uber driver. You only have to be registered as one. Your insurance doesn't need to be changed for anything to register as an Uber driver.

If you -actually- wanted to be an Uber driver, then you might contact your insurance for additional coverage.

I registered as an Uber driver, got the $1000 discount, and that was that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I should "rephrase" the thread title.

Does register as Uber driver to get the uber discount affect insurance rate?

I am not going to an uber driver, I just want the uber discount only.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Maybe I should "rephrase" the thread title.

Does register as Uber driver to get the uber discount affect insurance rate?

I am not going to an uber driver, I just want the uber discount only.
I literally just answered that.

You don't 'actually' have to be an Uber driver. You only have to be registered as one. Your insurance doesn't need to be changed for anything to register as an Uber driver.

I registered as an Uber driver, got the $1000 discount, and that was that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I registered as an Uber driver for the discount, got my Uber driver ID number and I've never driven anyone anywhere. I simply did it for the discount. My insurance rates have not changed.

However, I ended up using the dealer discount instead of the Uber discount because it was a better deal. If you use the dealer discount, you can't use the other discounts on top of it. I paid $13,100 for my 2017 Elantra using the dealer discounts and it would have been $13,500 with my personal discounts.....

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,042 Posts
Just registering as a Uber Driver would not effect your insurance, if you register for Uber or Lyft and dont start driving for them they just drop you automatically. I registered for Lyft thinking I might pick up a person going to or leaving Los Angeles (LAX) once in a while since my daily commute takes me to within 4 miles of the airport and it would add a ittl $ to the cost of commuting but never did so I was dropped in about 90 days for inactivity. It will if you pick someone up and give them a ride and you notify or they find out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Man....I would check with your insurance agent directly on that one. In theory at least, any insurance coverage depends on providing 'proper' and current information and claims could be denied for not doing that. It is possible that, at least for some insurance companies, even signing up for Uber would put you in a different rate class. Uber may drop you after a period of inactivity, but it is possible that your insurance company might consider you a 'commercial driver' during that time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just registering as a Uber Driver would not effect your insurance, if you register for Uber or Lyft and dont start driving for them they just drop you automatically. I registered for Lyft thinking I might pick up a person going to or leaving Los Angeles (LAX) once in a while since my daily commute takes me to within 4 miles of the airport and it would add a ittl $ to the cost of commuting but never did so I was dropped in about 90 days for inactivity. It will if you pick someone up and give them a ride and you notify or they find out.
Lyft will not drop you. You can get deactivated by not keeping your insurance, tags, and paperwork up to date however. And to get back on, all you have to do is update your paperwork. Yeap, its that easy!

Getting back to the question from the OP. You do not have to actually drive, just show you have an 'active' account from Uber, and the dealership can print it off to show it said 'active'. Once thats done, you get the discount.

I did it! :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
However, I ended up using the dealer discount instead of the Uber discount because it was a better deal. If you use the dealer discount, you can't use the other discounts on top of it. I paid $13,100 for my 2017 Elantra using the dealer discounts and it would have been $13,500 with my personal discounts.....
Off topic but you got scammed. The Uber discount is not a this-or-that one discount. It can stack with any other dealer discounts and pricing. It's a Hyundai corporate sponsored rebate that has nothing to do with the dealer's price that you get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I registered as an Uber driver for the discount, got my Uber driver ID number and I've never driven anyone anywhere. I simply did it for the discount. My insurance rates have not changed.

so uber discount cannot apply if I ask for OTD ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Off topic but you got scammed. The Uber discount is not a this-or-that one discount. It can stack with any other dealer discounts and pricing. It's a Hyundai corporate sponsored rebate that has nothing to do with the dealer's price that you get.
does warranty change to commercial ?

·
Registered
941 Posts
No man. Stop worrying about insurance and warranties and anything else you can come up with. Register as an Uber driver, get $1000. Done.

The Uber rebate is applicable to any and all dealer incentives.. so it's an additional $1000 off the best deal you can negotiate with the dealer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was happy with the price I paid for my car, so I'm not concerned about having the discounts stacked or not. I could have demanded a discount and they could have gone round and round with me, which wastes my time and adds stress I don't want to a transaction I might do every 8 years or so. I paid $13,100 for a brand new 2017 Elantra in October 2016 and was in and out of the dealer in less than an hour and a half start to finish with no hassles. Good car, good price, done.

As for others looking to maximize their discounts, you can ask for whatever you want. The dealer can go along with you or tell you to go pound sand. Time is money, so figure out what your time is worth and add how much aggravation you are willing to deal with and go from there.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Read your policy... using a vehicle as a livery service is most likely specifically excluded. If you get into an accident while Uber-ing or Lyft-ing, you'll get a big, fat denial of coverage.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Much like asking for medical advice online, it sounds like your best course of action would be to contact your insurance, let them know you want to sign up solely for the discount, and see what they have to say. It would be a 48 second phone call I'm assuming

·
Registered
242 Posts
Read your policy... using a vehicle as a livery service is most likely specifically excluded. If you get into an accident while Uber-ing or Lyft-ing, you'll get a big, fat denial of coverage.
its possible, however, if the driver has the 'ridesharing' option added to their policy, (which is only around 20ish bucks extra a month), they will not drop you.

Only some companies offer the ridesharing option. If yours does not, then, that'll mean they will drop you, or ask you to change your policy to a commercial policy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts