Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My manual said I needed to replace cabin filter at 7,500 miles so purchased TYC at Rock Auto.

It was less than $9.00 shipped and had a heart by it meaning some people love it. I have mixed feelings. The old saying you get what you pay for is true.

That being said it flows well, was inexpensive, and came well packaged.

The negatives is it is thinner than OEM and does not have a border on two sides. I question if some dust can get by on the sides. It does have an accordion effect and expands on the sides so maybe it seals well? I immediately noticed improved air flow and as you can see the original filter does look dirty.

The hardest part of replacement was unclipping cabin filter cover and making sure the cover clips back in place. The TYC is flimsy with two reinforced sides so it is not as easy install and remove as OEM.

I may go with something else or OEM next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow, every 7500 miles!? I'm used to Hondas and their 30k mile intervals (15k for severe). I'm guilty of delaying cabin filters on my older cars since you have to take apart half the dash to access them. It's nice Hyundai made it so easy on these cars.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
7500, guess they changed the requirement, mine says every 12,000 or 15,000 miles. IMO, stay with the cheapest cabin filter you can filter, not like an engine air filter in terms of importance.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
My manual said I needed to replace cabin filter at 7,500 miles so purchased TYC at Rock Auto.

It was less than $9.00 shipped and had a heart by it meaning some people love it. I have mixed feelings. The old saying you get what you pay for is true.

That being said it flows well, was inexpensive, and came well packaged.

The negatives is it is thinner than OEM and does not have a border on two sides. I question if some dust can get by on the sides. It does have an accordion effect and expands on the sides so maybe it seals well? I immediately noticed improved air flow and as you can see the original filter does look dirty.

The hardest part of replacement was unclipping cabin filter cover and making sure the cover clips back in place. The TYC is flimsy with two reinforced sides so it is not as easy install and remove as OEM.

I may go with something else or OEM next time.
Of couse it is well packed,if it wasn't,it would get destroyed during transportation....lol. It even looks cheap from the pictures.Sounds like you know you will never use that product again.

You can always wear this when driving.....:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
7500, guess they changed the requirement, mine says every 12,000 or 15,000 miles. IMO, stay with the cheapest cabin filter you can filter, not like an engine air filter in terms of importance.
It’s recommended at 15,000 unless needed earlier if the owners filter needs an early replacement. Refer to the recommended schedule in the picture below (taken directly from the owners manual).

Of couse it is well packed,if it wasn't,it would get destroyed during transportation....lol. It even looks cheap from the pictures.Sounds like you know you will never use that product again.

You can always wear this when driving.....:grin2:
Haha, oh-man...now you’re posting in the AD thread topics. You crack me up. Keep it up!

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
What does mileage have to do with either the air or cabin filter?

Cabin filter is a bit easier, if you switch your blower motor on high, can hear it rev up, but not blowing any air out of the vents, you know it has to be either cleaned or replaced. Air filter has to be looked at, recommended every oil change.

Both are easy to look at on the Elantra, last oil change a couple K miles ago, just found one dead fly in my air, was perfectly white, three on the cabin. Put them in little tiny coffins and gave them a proper burial.

Supra doesn't have a cabin, but still has the original air filter, its washable. Daughter got nailed for 35 bucks with her cabin by her Kia dealer, if they even replaced it.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I have been buying the TYC cabin filters for a long time on eBay and frankly I have had no problems at all with the. I find the fit great on both my 2012 Sonata and the wife’s 2014 Santa Fe. As for the engine filter, I always use oem since they are not that expensive.
Check them both every oil change and replace as needed.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Get the WIX WP10319 which is a OEM fit version.... Keep an eye out @ Rockauto and it comes into stock every few weeks... or try your local jobber...

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Ha, showed my daughter how to replace her cabin filter, worse problem was removing all of her junk from the glove compartment. Whey you remove those two side knobs, the lid that is part of the glove compartment drops down.

If you don't remove all the junk first, it all falls on the floor.

Just ordered a couple from ebay, claim to be carbon to reduce CO from entering your vehicle, no good with strong manure odors or smoke from ethanol plants. Was something like two of them for 11 bucks. Were like OEM and fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just followed severe service in my little maintenance log book that came with the car. It said R in red letters. I remember armdtm saying you only have to do the R. :wink:

Have a lot of allergies so it is helping with that. The cabin filter is more important to me. As far as packaging the box probably cost as much as the filter. It was pretty. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
These are the detail on the 2017 Elantra cabin filter.

Kia 97133-F2000 F178EDFAA Cabin air filter 9 7/16 X 7 11/16 X 1 3/32 inches

Size is the most important factor in that it fits the hole.

Fram claims to make an allergy free filter using baking soda as the media, only one I could find is for the 2017 Elantra GT part # CF10728. Have no idea if this fits the standard Elantra without having a ruler handy.

Following is a line drawing of the filter/blower components.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most of the filters at Rock Auto were for the GT model. TYC had the right part number which is one reason to buy. The other is I have heard some of the ones on Ebay with carbon may restrict flow. I remember seeing a Hyundai video stating their cabin filters flowed 20% better than aftermarket. So far the TYC seems to flow better, but it is clean.

I am following severe service schedule for my car and my nose. My nose is happy with the new filter. I think that is the most important thing. It will cut down on my nose maintenance schedule. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Was buying TYC filters, but nothing for the 2017 Elantra even a year ago. Matter of fact was difficult to find any cabin filter when I purchased it in June of 2016

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was buying TYC filters, but nothing for the 2017 Elantra even a year ago. Matter of fact was difficult to find any cabin filter when I purchased it in June of 2016
That is what I noticed. Some aftermarket parts are slim to none for our model. One reason for the review was to let others know TYC was available at Rock Auto and price/performance ratio is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I just check/change mine annually. Generally they are ready for a change, but the worst was when we bought a five year old Elantra XD and it appeared to have the original filter. Went from zephyr to hurricane when we changed that one out.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got to love Rock Auto. Don't forget to use their monthly coupon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was able to find a 5% off coupon at a website. Where did you find the monthly coupon?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was able to find a 5% off coupon at a website. Where did you find the monthly coupon?
I used to get an email from them. I'm pretty sure it was 5% like you found. I haven't bought anything from them for a few years.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Still don't know the difference between an Elantra and an Elantra GT, why can't they give the size on the box?

Ha, with all this talk on cabin filters, pulled mine yesterday, wow, that was a two second job. Was some fuzz on the inlet, vacuumed that off and put it back in again.

Actually cabin filters are not new, for years the heater core got that job, then replaced by the evaporator core, but had to remove that blower motor first, some were easy, others were not. Gave that blower motor a new name, called it a leaf chopper.

On one vehicle, after removing that leaf chopper, stuck my large shop vacuum motor near the evaporator, with one opened dash vent, duct taped my leaf blower to it, talk about a 30's dust storm! Took them long enough to add this filter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The cabin filter is the filter for your nose and lungs. Get's rid of road dirt, pollen and the like. Very important if you have allergies.

But like Nicholas said, mileage is just a guideline. Very little to do with when it actually needs replaced. Hyundai and Mazda tell us every 15,000 miles in our area (severe). We check them every time. Sometimes they need changed at 10,000, sometimes not until 20,000 or 25,000.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts