Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still considering getting a 2011 Tuscon here. But after listening to the Premium audio at the dealership, I feel it is very weak. The subwoofer packs no punch, even when faded 75% to the back and with bass all the way up. It's much weaker than either the Nissan Rouge or the Infinity EX35, both of which have a subwoofer connected to the spare tire. (An odd design choice but it is effective.) It even lacks compared to the the 2011 Kia Sportage. (Don't know where they placed that subwoofer.)

The question is, is there anything I can do to improve the sound before purchase? For example, buy the Tuscon with only _part of the premium package, ie without the subwoofer and maybe some of the speakers, and get those after market?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do. You're going to have to replace everything post-purchase if you want decent sound, I know it's my next investment.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It's a lot of physical labor to do it right, but you might want to do a noise abatement project on the car.

Let's face it, the Hyundai CUV's have a lot of engine and road noise. Decreasing this random racket will let the sound from the stereo come through much better. Putting sound deadening in the doors will let the speakers sound much better by damping the resonations that compete with the speaker output, and putting deadening in the floor and fenders will decrease the road and engine noise that competes with the sounds you really want to hear.

Tearing apart the interior of your new car is a daunting task that should be treated with care and is best done with a helper, but it can yield some satisfying results.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have the stock sound system that came with the GLS P.E. pkg.
From day one I thought the Bass was very weak, so I had the Bass adjustment cranked all the way up. I have a Tracphone (phone cards) and it does not work for the Bluetooth, so I never went into the radio "Setup Info Menu" till about a week ago, I found that when I went into the Menu I saw something called "P.Bass"? I rolled the tuner knob to that selection, then pressed in on the tuner knob, and Walla! it showed 4 positions: o-Off, o-Low, o-Middle, & o-High,,, It was set to off, so I pushed the tuner knob to click it onto, o-High,,, Then I had so much Bass all the speakers were vibrating, especially the ones under my arm rest, it actually sounded like I had a Subwoofer in the vehicle? Putting in a SADE CD during my trip to S.C. the Bass was actually too much! So, next I moved the main Bass control back to the original middle setting, and the P.Bass eventually to Low, then after awhile, eventually to Off.

Apparently what I found was, that Now, my Bass was much stronger then when the vehicle was new at the factory settings? It must have loosened up (and broke in) the speakers, because it sounds just fine now just with the factory settings, and if I ever need to, I know how, & where to go to kick up the Bass :)

Maybe there's a setting like this on the factory premium radio as well?

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (gajahduduk @ Nov 9 2010, 05:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370111
It even lacks compared to the the 2011 Kia Sportage. (Don't know where they placed that subwoofer.)

It's Ironic, they offer better colors, & options, on a KIA, that's Hyundai's 2nd line of vehicles :wacko: , and it's probably even cheaper! (how about that Dazzling orange/red exterior, or Chrome disc type wheels)?,,,,They'd look great on my Tuc! Remind me next time to buy a Kia instead, because I'd get more "Bang for my Buck"! :(

My Best friend on L.I. just surprised me, & bought a New Sorrento, even though it's exactly like a Santa Fe now, it has the same powertrain, but is probably better on gas, & faster, because it's 200lbs lighter, & probably even cheaper! It even offers a 3rd row seating if you need it, which they dropped from the Santa Fe, Who knows why?

Without looking yet, I bet the color choices are better then the Santa Fe as well. I feel betrayed by Hyundai, after all this is my third one! And if the new Sportage had come out at the same time, or sooner then the Tucson, I probably would have went with that instead! :p

By the way, I saw a single brand new Red Sportage on a small car carrying truck on Rte#95 on my way back from Myrtle Beach S.C. (maybe it was being transported to a dealer up north, from one in the south, for a customer?) But then again they usually drive the new vehicles from dealer to dealer, & rack up some milage on your new car :( so I don't know what that was all about?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Nov 23 2010, 10:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374399
I have the stock sound system that came with the GLS P.E. pkg.
From day one I thought the Bass was very weak, so I had the Bass adjustment cranked all the way up. I have a Tracphone (phone cards) and it does not work for the Bluetooth, so I never went into the radio "Setup Info Menu" till about a week ago, I found that when I went into the Menu I saw something called "P.Bass"? I rolled the tuner knob to that selection, then pressed in on the tuner knob, and Walla! it showed 4 positions: o-Off, o-Low, o-Middle, & o-High,,, It was set to off, so I pushed the tuner knob to click it onto, o-High,,, Then I had so much Bass all the speakers were vibrating, especially the ones under my arm rest, it actually sounded like I had a Subwoofer in the vehicle? Putting in a SADE CD during my trip to S.C. the Bass was actually too much! So, next I moved the main Bass control back to the original middle setting, and the P.Bass eventually to Low, then after awhile, eventually to Off.

Apparently what I found was, that Now, my Bass was much stronger then when the vehicle was new at the factory settings? It must have loosened up (and broke in) the speakers, because it sounds just fine now just with the factory settings, and if I ever need to, I know how, & where to go to kick up the Bass :)

Maybe there's a setting like this on the factory premium radio as well?
Unfortunately the "premium" nav radio doesn't have the p-bass option :( Seems stupid IMO

·
Registered
316 Posts
Old guy here, who usually listens to classical, jazz & Celtic, on XM or public radio or, home made compilation discs, so I don't notice the lack of bass. What I do notice is the often remarked on road noise, and the huge variance in "volume" when switching between XM/reg radio, to disc. But, theBoss is happy with her car, so I shut up, ;>)
GL, mD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts