Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

This is my partners 94 excel x2

One previous owner. Have had it for 18 months with no problems.

Left it for two weeks and now it won’t start. Turns over well but like there’s no spark

It started once and drive for 0.5 miles and then jolty and stalled, to drive it, it had to be reved high.

Now there is no spark I think from testing it out. Leads are fine as spark on my other car

To test fuel, I took the top pipe off the fuel filter, when trying to start no fuel come out, I thought there would be however is the fuel system a vacuum?

Changed the distributor cap and rotor, still
Nothing. The distributor seems to seem well and freely with cap off

Could t be

Cdi
Fuel
Distributor

Each item are about 200-350 each. Now the car isn’t worth too much but too good to be scrapped

Any thoughts would be great

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Could t be

Cdi
Fuel
Distributor
It could be any of those, or none of them. You'd need to carry out a few checks to try and pick up some clues about where the problem lies.

Does the engine check light on the instrument cluster illuminate when you switch the ignition on?
Have you looked to see if there is a spark at the plugs when cranking it over or are you just assuming there isn't a spark?
Don't just assume. Take a look and see.

If the engine light is working but you have no fuel being pumped to the engine and you confirm no spark at the plugs, that is often a fault with the crank position sensor. I'm not sure that these old Mitsubishi engines had a conventional crank sensor though. If I remember correctly the crank & cam sensors where optical sensors inside the distributor, What I would suggest is you check the voltages on the distributor harness connector to see if there is a 12V power supply & ground. I'd also expect to have two wires with 5V, the signal wires for the two sensors. While you've got your voltmeter out, check that you have 12V being supplied to the fuel injectors too.

Let us know what you find and we can decide what to look at next.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello

Thank you very much for the reply, didn’t expect one so quick

It all started when it was being drove and the ‘check engine’ light came on but still drove fine. Then didn’t use the car for a small period of time (10 days). Then went back to use the car and the check engine light again was on, it would crank over but not actually start. However keeping it turning over it did one time suddenly start and I though I would give it a drive - less than half a mile away it stalled really quickly then refired, it was very juddery then the vehicle completely stopped

Now turning the egbnition on the engine light does appear. If you keep cranking it the engine lights goes off and stays off

What does it mean when the engine light doesn’t come on?

What have a tested -

Tested the spark leads and on the actual car tested the spark plugs - don’t get any spark (tested a few of them)

The crank angle sensor, I’m not sure where it’s located however I know you can buy the parts separately

Took the top pipe off the fuel filter and cranked, no fuel come out

I will go up tomorrow and test that. With the fuel injectors, take the plug off and just check reading with ignition on?

Once again thank you

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
This might be the same wiring.
I'm sure a lot of the wiring is similar, but I suspect the distributor is completely different. I've never seen the ignition coil and amplifier built into the distributor on a Hyundai.

I like the format of the diagram though. Who are Rellim?
I like it when they give you a wee clue about what's going on inside the PCM like that. I wish Bosch would do likewise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts