Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

27 Months into a 3 year lease on a 2016 Genesis 3.8 AWD -- I was surprised to find out that my two rear tires did not pass inspection (only 19k miles). Question -- When replacing the two rear tires, do they have to match the front, or is this something that will be penalized during lease turn in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi All,

27 Months into a 3 year lease on a 2016 Genesis 3.8 AWD -- I was surprised to find out that my two rear tires did not pass inspection (only 19k miles). Question -- When replacing the two rear tires, do they have to match the front, or is this something that will be penalized during lease turn in?

Thanks!
My experience with Volvo, Acura, Saab us that all 4 tires must match. It is spelled out in the terms of the lease.

Brand does not matter. I put Kuhmo (a brand I would never buy) on the Volvo and Cooper (a brand I like) on the Acura because of price.

Call Hyundai Corp to confirm. They generally don't have a brand requirement (unless Ferrari etc) because they use several brands.

Avoid Hankook, they were OEM and sidewalls split forcing HMCA to issue a recall and replace with Michelins.

It may be cheaper to buy 4 General Altimax or Kuhmo on sale that two Michelins.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry that I cannot answer your question, but I would have to guess that your tires were Michelin. On the Kia Optima forums I started a post over there because my 2016 Optima SXL had just turned 19,000 miles and when I rotated the tires I found that they were all borderline 4/32 tread left. Since 4/32 is the minimum it can be turned in on a lease, I knew they wouldn't last and bought new ones. The tires that were on the car...Michelin Primacy MXM 4 and they were garbage! I wrote and fought with Michelin and all they would do is abide by the standard tread wear warranty and prorate the tires for treadware...which means it would have cost me 80% of the cost of new garbage Michelin tires to replace them. I went with my favorite brand that I have on my 02 Corvette Z06 as well as what I had put on my 14 Sonata (which I traded in for my Optima)...Toyo. A lot of people criticize that brand but I when I turned my Sonata in at 35k, there was still almost 7/32 tread left (I took the factory tires off of it two days after I leased the car for the Toyo tires. Anyway, Cooper Tires are my favorite but I've had good luck with Toyo tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry that I cannot answer your question, but I would have to guess that your tires were Michelin. On the Kia Optima forums I started a post over there because my 2016 Optima SXL had just turned 19,000 miles and when I rotated the tires I found that they were all borderline 4/32 tread left. Since 4/32 is the minimum it can be turned in on a lease, I knew they wouldn't last and bought new ones. The tires that were on the car...Michelin Primacy MXM 4 and they were garbage! I wrote and fought with Michelin and all they would do is abide by the standard tread wear warranty and prorate the tires for treadware...which means it would have cost me 80% of the cost of new garbage Michelin tires to replace them. I went with my favorite brand that I have on my 02 Corvette Z06 as well as what I had put on my 14 Sonata (which I traded in for my Optima)...Toyo. A lot of people criticize that brand but I when I turned my Sonata in at 35k, there was still almost 7/32 tread left (I took the factory tires off of it two days after I leased the car for the Toyo tires. Anyway, Cooper Tires are my favorite but I've had good luck with Toyo tires.
For not so popular brands, I like General. My BIL swears by Cooper and in his '18 CRV he got rid of the Hankooks and put Coopers on in the first week. I put Cooper (just got my $70 rebate card yesterday) on my '13 Accord at his recommendation and I find them noisy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my experience, it is up to the dealership. They also tend to be more lenient if you are getting into another car, than if you are just terminating the lease.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My experience.

All of my 5 leases have required and independent inspection (at the office or home) BEFORE dropping it off at the dealer.

That inspection is sent to the finance company (Acura, BMW, Nissan) and the dealer has nothing to do with determining the condition of the car.

I'll holla back within the month with my Volvo turn in experience but they've already contacted me re: setting up the inspection.

·
Registered
122 Posts
must be the bums at my dealership then. guess if they think they can buff it out and put an air fresher in and resell it, then its good to go. I gave mine in early and they financed this one I am in now. They went around and said good to go. I should say mine was in like new condition though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts