Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! All my turn and hazard signals work normally when engaged but when it snaps back into the off position the turn signal (sound only) keeps going rapidly. It goes on and off randomly. It's the sound in the dash only. Any idea what it is? I can replace it myself I just need to figure out what it is. It's driving me crazy!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I'll be doggone. I was JUST going to report that we had one of those appear for the first time today. If you fiddle (pushing or jiggling seems to help) on the left stalk, see if that makes it go away. Before we open this one up, my bet is that we've got a bad turn signal switch, but I need some time with the schematic to explain it to myself. The flasher relay is going a mile a minute (about 4 clicks/second) but no lights are illuminating anywhere. So the relay is being energized without a load on it, which is why it's blinking so fast (like having a burned out bulb). Enabling hazards or using turn indicator causes the relay to stop going like mad, and those two items function normally. The appointment isn't schedule for another week, but if I can come up with something sooner, I'll post my best guess.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
First thing we'll have to do is isolate which of the two possible relays we're dealing with. To my ear, it sounded like the Flasher Unit -- which unfortunately is stuck in the ICM relay box and not as easy to access as is the Hazard Relay I/P junction box. Should be able to put a finger near either of them and feel it switching, though. Actually, it kinda HAS to be the Flasher Unit and not the Hazard Relay. If the Hazard Relay were moving, things would be lighting up all over the place.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Hoping you can confirm, " If you fiddle (pushing or jiggling seems to help) on the left stalk, see if that makes it go away." By 'pushing', I mean pushing the end of the stalk straight in toward the steering column. Want to see if we also have that in common for later this week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
2011 Santa Fe LE If I push down just barely on the turn signal stalk it stops, but it also works if I push down just barely on the button to turn on the falshers. I haven't tried pushing the end into the steering column. Going to try that and let you know. Sorry for the delay. Been a crazy week!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Sounds like its the stock switch then and not the relays. Not owner replaceable IMO.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
T/Signal switch...

Greetings, I believe it is an owner serviceable item. With a little mechanical ability, a steering wheel puller and a plate remover for the steering wheel. The plate remover is for the tilt column and spring remover. Once compressed the circlip that retains the plate is removed the pressure and the puller removed giving you access to the switch. Installation is the reverse of installation.

I could be wrong :frown: But I've done other vehicles mostly Dodge but I believe the process is the same. Anyone know for sure or have done one before?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Try replacing the flasher unit first.
It is cheaper and easier than replacing the multi-function switch

If that doesn't work then the multi-function switch is a matter of taking off the plastic surrounding the steering column
And then it is two screws that hold it in plus an electrical connector
Not impossible .. just difficult

Never mind ... I might be wrong ... again ... hahahaha

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Have you tried hanging upside down with your head under the dash? The ICM in the 2008 is barely visible and almost impossible to reach as there isn't enough room for arms etc. I don't know if there are independant relays within it or not. But I tried once when I had LED signal light to replace the flasher. No way IMO at least not with the seat in or my body. Maybe a 100lb tech can work in that space and remove it. Not me, the 2011 by be different though.

Good luck but it still appear to be the stalk switch if it corrects wiggling it to a different position.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Sorry, OP didn't mention the make or model of his vehicle.
Mine is an older Elantra.
I know that newer models have the flasher built into the computer.

The multi-function switch ... stalk switch ... can be done .. not impossible

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't really "correct" I have to keep slightly holding the stalk down to make the clicking stop. If I take the lite pressure off the clicking starts again. It happens randomly but especially right after I have used my turn signal.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
It doesn't really "correct" I have to keep slightly holding the stalk down to make the clicking stop. If I take the lite pressure off the clicking starts again. It happens randomly but especially right after I have used my turn signal.
You don't have the problem before using the turn signal.
It happens then you play with the switch to stop it.
It sounds like a good suspect part for the fault
But, never know until you can test it out further

Don't know about the 2011's
The 07 use to have the flasher unit under the dash on the left hand side near the wall.
Autospark is usually good with this stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You don't have the problem before using the turn signal.
It happens then you play with the switch to stop it.
It sounds like a good suspect part for the fault
But, never know until you can test it out further

So one of these maybe?
The multi-function switch ... stalk switch ...

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
The multi-function switch is the stalk switch.
The proper term is multi-function switch as it takes care of turn signals and head lights (hi and low) and running light
They used the term stalk because it looks like a stalk.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
2011 Santa Fe LE If I push down just barely on the turn signal stalk it stops, but it also works if I push down just barely on the button to turn on the falshers. I haven't tried pushing the end into the steering column. Going to try that and let you know. Sorry for the delay. Been a crazy week!
Pushing the emergency flasher button lightly is actually resolving it electrically, just like using them 'for real' or using the turn signal. The key is that like the one we'll be getting in later this week, a light press on the stalk itself causes it to stop. No question that we're going to find an issue there on the switch somewhere.

As for replacement --

It is NOT, repeat NOT necessary to pull the steering wheel. There are three screws up through the lower shroud that will release both upper and lower shrouds. Remove one connector and press the locking pin and the switch assembly comes free. Any competent shade tree mechanic can handle it.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
For an '11, most likely 93420-0W001CA
Suffix on that number varies with interior trim color.
From Hyundai dealers selling online, $56.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts