Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Santa Fe 2.7L

When the headlights are on the left turn signal stays on(but does not blink). The right turn signal functions ok. With the headlights off both signals function normally. The headlights work correctly.

This issue happened once a year ago but just started reoccurring two days ago.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
If I were to guess, I would say you have a short in the multi-function switch. It's easy enough to replace yourself, it's worth giving it a shot.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Remove the left rear tail light and remove the tail light bulbs and see if the problem goes away , the filiment in the bulb can break loose and short to the other filiment,. The other thing would be a shorted trailer harness module if your truck has one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (tech1 @ Mar 2 2010, 08:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=301459
Remove the left rear tail light and remove the tail light bulbs and see if the problem goes away , the filiment in the bulb can break loose and short to the other filiment,. The other thing would be a shorted trailer harness module if your truck has one.

I do have a trailer hitch brake light insert connected up. I'll take a closer look and verify the harness. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (Ted N. @ Mar 2 2010, 07:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=301430
2004 Santa Fe 2.7L

When the headlights are on the left turn signal stays on(but does not blink). The right turn signal functions ok. With the headlights off both signals function normally. The headlights work correctly.

This issue happened once a year ago but just started reoccurring two days ago.

I am having the same problem with my 2001 Santa Fe. It just started a couple days ago. Right turn signal functions fine. Left is frozen on when the headlights are on, but works with lights off. However, when lights are off and left signal is on, the light on the speedometer also blinks. Flashers work fine, both sides.

Please let me know if you have found a solution!

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (saru @ Mar 4 2010, 10:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=301820
I am having the same problem with my 2001 Santa Fe. It just started a couple days ago. Right turn signal functions fine. Left is frozen on when the headlights are on, but works with lights off. However, when lights are off and left signal is on, the light on the speedometer also blinks. Flashers work fine, both sides.

Please let me know if you have found a solution!

Now all lights on the dash and console blink along with the left blinker when headlights are OFF. Flashers also freezing when headlights are on. Anyone know what would be causing these problems??? Would really prefer to fix myself...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Wierd problems like these are very often caused by a bad ground connection. The only solution is to trace down every ground point in the front of the car using the pictures on the HMA web site and check them all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
revived same issue, but no solution posted

Sorry to reawaken this thread, but I have the same issue (left turn signal comes on, but does not flash when headlights are switched on, flashes fine when headlamps off but dash lights flash along with left signal)

What was the solution to this issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
should mention

Sorry to reawaken this thread, but I have the same issue (left turn signal comes on, but does not flash when headlights are switched on, flashes fine when headlamps off but dash lights flash along with left signal)

What was the solution to this issue?
I should mention: I have tried "known good" multi function switch, and flasher unit(tucked onto left end of cabin fuse).

-With head lights off hazard/4way flash is fine, but fails with headlights on.
-flash to pass held back does not affect the signalling system left or right

No manual here yet...I have not traced the pigtail for trailer towing beyond where it dissapears under the floor covering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SOLUTION found and posted for posterity.

Trailer wiring module has failed.

Removed rear left panel, sill and 2x10mm cargo tie downs. If you're more cautious than I am you won't crack the panel...

The trailer module is an add in to the wiring harness. I removed it (it is still connected on the right side) and, re connected original harness now all is restored.

I will tinker with the module, as I only got this car for light towing!

I revived this thread, but can offer closure

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,542 Posts
Thanks for posting the fix to your problem. I wouldn't have guessed trailer wiring would be effected by the headlamps...interesting.

Regards.

Scottie.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have exactly same problem and i am lost after checking all bulbs,flasher unit,turnsignal switch etc.what is trailer wiring ,my car is hyundai sonata 2006 v6 3.3l same engine as santa fe. and identical wiring also.can you please post pics of your harness area? appreciate you revive this post as i was looking for a long time thread / post like these.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd hate to reopen this thread, but I am having the same issue with a 2007 Santa Fe Limited. I do not have a trailer hitch, I replaced the $100 flasher module and all bulbs and now when you turn the headlights on, both rear turn signal lights are stuck on and the front ones are off. Flashers do not work with headlights on either.

With the headlights off, the turn signals on both sides and flashers work perfectly. I just ordered the multi-function switch that is on the steering column, hopefully this fixes the issue.

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
and now when you turn the headlights on, both rear turn signal lights are stuck on and the front ones are off.
That's what is happening now, but what was happening originally that made you replace the $100 flasher module?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's what is happening now, but what was happening originally that made you replace the $100 flasher module?
Originally, the issue was, only the right turn signal worked when the headlights were on, left interior dash light would be stuck on as well (now they both are). I made the mistake of assuming it was the flasher module. I went ahead an replaced all blubs including headlights and then they stopped flashing altogether. Everything works great when the headlights are off though. Weird issue.

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
I'm in the UK and our cars have slightly different lighting requirement to you guys in the US.
Does your car have orange marker lamps at the front by any chance? If so what I would do is remove the front turn signal bulbs to see if that allows the rear ones to work when the headlamps are on. See if the interior dash lights are now out too when the headlamps are on. If that cures the problem then I suspect you probably have the wrong bulbs fitted to the front lamps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the UK and our cars have slightly different lighting requirement to you guys in the US.
Does your car have orange marker lamps at the front by any chance? If so what I would do is remove the front turn signal bulbs to see if that allows the rear ones to work when the headlamps are on. See if the interior dash lights are now out too when the headlamps are on. If that cures the problem then I suspect you probably have the wrong bulbs fitted to the front lamps.
I do have those marker lamps on the front, both were blown (like those small interior bulbs with the folded wires on them) and I removed them. Tried removing the turn signal bulbs too and that made everything stop working.

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
like those small interior bulbs with the folded wires on them
Those are called capless bulbs.

But it wasn't those I was talking about. On some US Hyundai cars the front turn signal lamps are fitted with a double filament bulb, like a stop/tail lamp. Only it's a turn signal/marker lamp when it's at the front. If you fit a single filament bulb rather than the double it will link the two circuits together causing the turn signals to illuminate when you switch the headlamps on, so I was thinking that could possibly be the cause of your problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts