Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

On my sonata im having an annoying issue where when i select my left blinker it will activate the right blinker for one flash and then activate the left blinker. I'm not sure why its doing this but its intermittent. It'll even sound the blind spot alarm letting me know that a car is to my right during that one blink. Rarely when i select my left or right blinker the car will not do anything. The blinker will not activate for 10/12 seconds. Alot of time the blinker is delayed by 1 or 2 seconds as well. I'm not sure how a blinker can be defective like that.
The car is under warranty but I have to make time to go to the dealer. Anyone have any thoughts or has dealt with this before? Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You may have already thought of this, but have you changed anything prior to this event? Trailer wiring, bulb replacements? When did this start happening?

Just thinking out loud. You may have already cover these bases, but I thought I would ask.

RB

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have already thought of this, but have you changed anything prior to this event? Trailer wiring, bulb replacements? When did this start happening?

Just thinking out loud. You may have already cover these bases, but I thought I would ask.

RB
Nothing has changed it just started happening. The only reason I noticed it was my blind spot warning kept going off. However I do notice that it happens more frequently when i cold start my car.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
According to this post, Sonata 2016 does not have a separate flasher. Instead, that is done by Smart Junction Block.
I don't know exactly what other functions that one does, but I suspect it is responsible for the functions you mentioned that are happening as "side effects". So, it is quite likely that that module is faulty.
One could imagine that if the electric harness were damaged in some place and some intermittent shorts were formed, you might be getting similar "effects". But unless something drastic was happening with your car (flood, rats nesting under the hood, ...) that type of damage is unlikely.

I know how painful it could be to find time to bring the car to a Hyundai dealership (which always takes an entire day here), - but I am afraid that's what you might have to do.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think that the turn signal switch itself is s good suspect. Most turn signal switches these days work by switching in a different resistance for each direction onto one wire. The electronics read that resistance to determine which way you want to signal. If the contacts on the switch are bad or something is marginal, the resistance won't be right and it can confuse the electronics.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
469 Posts
I think that the turn signal switch itself is s good suspect. Most turn signal switches these days work by switching in a different resistance for each direction onto one wire. The electronics read that resistance to determine which way you want to signal. If the contacts on the switch are bad or something is marginal, the resistance won't be right and it can confuse the electronics.
Agree with joegr.

The Sonata's turn signal switch sends a .9k ohm signal to the controller when activated for a left turn signal and a 2.9k ohm signal for the right signal. I'd say your turn signal switch left contact is dirty or corroded which will send a temporary false high-ohmic value (> .9k ) to the controller until the turn signal switch contacts settle to a cleaner contact surface and provide the correct resistance (.9k).

This temporary high ohmic value could be interpreted by the controller as a right turn switch selection, and activate appropriate systems (ie., right BSD).

Just a thought. . .

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
469 Posts
... car is under warranty but I have to make time to go to the dealer...
IMHO, I'd bite the bullet and let the mechs check it with the GDS diagnostics rather than gum up the warranty.

If it wasn't under warranty, I'd give it a try at cleaning with contact cleaner, etc. However, since the left stalk assy and the right stalk assy are actually one-piece, and buried under the steering wheel hub and clock spring assy, it might not be accessible without column disassembly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

On my sonata im having an annoying issue where when i select my left blinker it will activate the right blinker for one flash and then activate the left blinker. I'm not sure why its doing this but its intermittent. It'll even sound the blind spot alarm letting me know that a car is to my right during that one blink. Rarely when i select my left or right blinker the car will not do anything. The blinker will not activate for 10/12 seconds. Alot of time the blinker is delayed by 1 or 2 seconds as well. I'm not sure how a blinker can be defective like that.

The car is under warranty but I have to make time to go to the dealer. Anyone have any thoughts or has dealt with this before? Thanks.

Let me know if you happen to visit dealer to fix it. Mine has same issue here. Not very often but would like to know it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife's Sonata had a similar intermittent turn signal issue. Turn on the left blinker and the right one would flash, turn on the right blinker and nothing would happen. Being intermittent, I was only able to get it to the dealer once while it was happening. The problem went away while the car was at the dealer so they said they couldn't duplicate the issue. I finally decided to try and fix it myself so I unbolted the smart junction box and unplugged the harness that contains the wire from the turn signal switch. To make sure it wasn't the harness, I measured the resistance with an ohm meter and it was 900 ohms to ground for the left turn signal and 2900 ohms for the right turn signal. Exactly what it should be. I plugged the harness back into the SJB, reassembled the dash and the problem has not come back. I can only assume the intermittent contact was in the connector itself and just unplugging and reattaching it to the SJB was enough. It was a little bit of a PITA to reach the harness because it's on the back of the SJB & contrary to what the manual says, I wasn't actually able to remove the SJB from the dashboard. I could only unbolt it and position it in such a way that I could reach behind it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me know if you happen to visit dealer to fix it. Mine has same issue here. Not very often but would like to know it. Thanks!

They fixed the issue by replacing the turn signal switch. Part# 93401-C2500 @ 0.4 hours labor, covered by warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They fixed the issue by replacing the turn signal switch. Part# 93401-C2500 @ 0.4 hours labor, covered by warranty.

Thanks! Hope I don’t have to duplicate the issue since it is not happening very often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My friend how are you
My name is Saad I'm from Saudi Arabia
I want to tell you that I have the exact same problem
For almost 6 month I did everything to work it out
But no use
Till I found out what was all about

You need to change the "turn signal stick"
And every thing well work as it was sorry for my language I'm not so good at writing English

·
Registered
16 Posts

Finally went to dealer for service. They replaced exactly same part, multi function switcher under warranty. 16 Sonata 49k. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts